Vit D

Murray Allan

My Daughter suffers with MS, and through the hours of searching on line there seems to be strong support that hi levels of vit D3 can have a major impact on the condition. Through reading about the benefits of vit D3 i find that research also supports high levels of sun exposure for Type 2 sufferers of which I such a sufferer. My issue is that i burn when i expose even my arms. So i have spent most of my 60 years well covered. However various studies imply that we should expose around 40% of our skin for 20 minute sessions. Looking at further research into the way skin works, skin is the second largest organ on our body and seemingly responds to being treated as one organ and so putting sun blockers (creams) on and partial clothing is like anti bodies going to fight an infection, it (the skin) does not like this. So with this theory in mind for over a year now I have tried absolute full body sun absorbtion. Critically I walk around in my garden without a stitch on (I do have a garden no one can see into) and what is interesting is that I do not burn any any areas, even on my arms which use to go red raw and peel. The critical words are sun body absorbtion I do believe. This is why one needs to be moving around, so all areas of the body the sun can give too, even the palms of the hands are important. This is all very different to sun tanning where one lies on the ground and toasts on one side for a period of time. I recently came across a friend with red raw shoulders and great white tramlines from various straps in her effort to get a tan, to whom i suggested this alternative method of using the sun. She cautiously tried this resulting in no red rawness to any parts of her body, but her body remained white, and has not burnt. However , like me feels fully invigurated and very healthy.
From my point now I have never had more stable readings on my blood sugar monitor, but I know I must have had near the level of Vit D3 that all researchers say we should have. So what are the costs. Well I can have as much sun as i want and its free. With Diet and high amounts of VitD3 I am going in the right direction with my type 2. On top of this Vit D3 has many other benefits for our body, including the colon, bones and muscles and mentally also, the list appears endless.
What are the negatives, some research says to much sun leads to skin cancer. Having a better understanding of how skin works as one organ, could totally negate this, the danger comes from toastng one side for long periods, using sun blocker and partial clothing, some research even supports full sun absorbtion in preventing cancers of many types, but thats another topic.
The Dr on this website says we need more sun, but like all practioners I feel they are all reserved to suggest full body sun absorbtion., the advise should be full body sun absorbtion to 100% and not tanning, or toasting. Maybe we all have to respect our bodies and not be prudes anymoor and accept our gardens are our private sun absorbtion areas, and those that look over the fence will be just folks missing out on what god gave us for free.
I would like to hear wheter other type 2 sufferers have found the benefits of VitB3.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I've issues with low VitD for years, after carefully putting on gallons of sun cream every time I left my home for decades.
My GP suggested 15 mins 3 times a week of exposing my face and arms.
But this depends on skin colour, as the more melanin you have the more time in the sun you need - I am very pale.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Back before diagnosis, in the days of having cereal for breakfast, or wholemeal toast with low fat spread, I would feel intense pain if my skin was exposed to the sun without factor 50 or a total sun block.
As soon as I went low carb and got normal numbers - so early 2017, I noticed that my forearms were going brown as the year warmed up - and no burning.
That has been the case each year - before lockdown, I actually had a tan as I went out to play for the morris dancing even in the middle of the day.