Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Hi Guys,

I'm currently looking into B17 and apricots as an anti cancer/cancer prevention measure.

Is there anything negative about either the use of B17 or apricots to someone with type 2 diabetes?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
There is much information here in this link about Vitamin B17 and Cancer from Cancer Research UK.

http://www.cancerhelp.org.uk/about-canc ... s/laetrile

We don’t recommend that you replace your conventional cancer treatment with any type of alternative cancer therapy, such as laetrile. Laetrile can cause serious side effects in some people so we don't recommend that you use laetrile alongside your cancer treatment.

There are a multitude of websites/blogs etc which propose it's use as an alternative therapy. I can't post them here so if you Google Vit B17 and Cancer you will find them all.

This from Cancer UK :
Many internet sites advertise and promote laetrile as a treatment to cure cancer. But no reputable scientific cancer organisations support any of these claims. Our advice is to be very cautious about believing this type of information or paying for any alternative cancer therapy over the internet.

Whenever we put up information about alternative treatments that have not been properly tested, we receive angry emails that say we are trying to prevent people with cancer from getting effective treatment. This is not what we want to do. We are concerned that products are marketed as potential cures, and often sold for a great deal of money, when they lack scientific evidence to prove that they help.

This rather damning one from the US where it's use is banned because of it's cyanide content apparently.......

http://www.ihealthdirectory.com/vitamin-b17/

Because of the lack of evidence that laetrile works, and the serious side effects it has, it is not authorised for sale in the European Union. The Food and Drugs Agency (FDA) in the USA have also banned it.

Make your own mind up after reviewing ALL the evidence available. Personally, I wouldn't touch it with the proverbial........Diabetic or not.

If your names on the bullet......... :(

Reactions: hazelzac

frenchkittie

If it's dried apricots you're after, watch out for sulphur dioxide.

Any really nice looking, bright orange dried apricots owe their lovely colour to sulphur dioxide used in the drying process, so go for the browner, less appetising looking ones.

I'm not saying that there is any proof that sulphur dioxide, at the level used, is harmful, just that you might want to research that side of it yourself.

Reactions: hazelzac

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Thanks Ken.

I'm very happy with the results of taking Benfotiamine, which is essentially a B vitamin complex. Sadly it doesn't contain B17, which, according to my research this morning, was removed from sale from high street retailer in the 1980's for no good reason. Like Benfotamaine, it can be bought online.

Having had testicular cancer in my twenties and losing my father to prostate cancer at only 57 years of age, I'll take my chances with both B17 and apricot seeds.

Then again, I'm also researching the end of the world theories and predictions for 2012, so we might all be dead by next December anyway. :shock: :wink: :cry:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
B17 isn't actually a vitamin so it's not likely to be contained in B Vit concoctions.

If you have been researching all sides, have you seen this one about Apricot Seeds......?

http://www.healthline.com/galecontent/apricot-seed/3

Precautions
As noted previously, the amygdalin in apricot seed breaks down within the body into a form of the deadly poison cyanide, or prussic acid. There has been considerable debate concerning its level of toxicity to human beings. Following an Oklahoma judicial decision legalizing the importation of amygdalin in 1986, clinical trials were begun by the FDA and National Cancer Institute in 1987. Amygdalin was used, along with the diet, enzymes, and vitamins suggested by pro-amygdalin factions. The report from this study concludes: "No substantive benefit was observed in terms of cure, improvement, or stabilization of the cancer." They further reported that "the hazards of amygdalin therapy were evidenced in several patients by symptoms of cyanide toxicity or by blood cyanide levels approaching lethal range. Amygdalin is a toxic drug that is not effective as a cancer treatment." It has been reported that ten apricot seeds can kill a child.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
This too.........

The most serious side effect of apricot seed is potential cyanide poisoning. When large doses of cyanide are ingested, death is almost instantaneous. Toxicity from smaller doses is manifested by vomiting, diarrhea, mental confusion, vertigo, headache, extreme dyspnea, and violent respirations, slow pulse, weakness, glassy or protruding eyes, dilated pupils, and a characteristic (peach blossoms, bitter almond) odor to the breath.

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
cugila said:
B17 isn't actually a vitamin so it's not likely to be contained in B Vit concoctions.

Seems strange it's called B17 if it ain't one of the B vitamins then isn't it? :?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Ardbeg said:
cugila said:

Seems strange it's called B17 if it ain't one of the B vitamins then isn't it? :?

It was called that by those who wish to use it.......makes it sound healthy ! If you read the links I posted earlier it states what it actually is.......I ain't making this up ! :|

See here :

Vitamin B17 is not an actual vitamin but a glycoside. The formal name of this substance is Amygdain. Most people know of this substance by another name, Laetrile. This substance can be extracted from the seeds of the bitter almond tree. Amygdain can also be extracted from the kernels or cakes of the bitter almond or the apricot. This substance was first discovered in the mid 1800’s and was used in Russia and other countries in Europe as a cure for cancer. It was later used in the United States in the early 1900’s however the usage was stopped due to concerns about its high toxicity levels.

Information about Glycosides here : Scroll down to Cyanogenic Glycosides........

http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/ent ... glycosides

In this case, the aglycone contains a cyanide group, and the glycoside can release the poisonous hydrogen cyanide if acted upon by some enzyme. An example of these is amygdalin from almonds. Cyanogenic glycosides can be found in the fruits (and wilting leaves) of the rose family (including cherries, apples, plums, almonds, peaches, apricots, raspberries, and crabapples). Cassava, an important food plant in Africa and South America, contains cyanogenic glycosides and therefore has to be washed and ground under running water prior to consumption. Sorghum (Sorghum bicolor) expresses cyanogenic glycosides in its roots and thus is resistant to pests such as rootworms (Diabrotica spp.) that plague the related maize (Zea mays L.).

This from Wiki........plus a quote from that source :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amygdalin

Irving Lerner of the University of Minnesota describing it as "the slickest, most sophisticated, and certainly the most remunerative cancer quack promotion in medical history."[3]

As a Cancer sufferer myself IMHO I can't see why anybody would even consider B17 ........

Hope that helps.

Reactions: Daki22

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Just to cheer everyone up, I'm watching a video which is available free online right now which states that people with diabetes are 3 times more likely than non diabetics to get cancer.

The video is in 6 parts and can be watched here:

(Promotional link removed. Forum Policy.)

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Nice try Jim. :)

Sorry, but as you well know Advertising and Promotion is not allowed on the Forum. Especially one that is promoting what we have just been discussing........ :wink:

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Hi Ken,

I have nothing to gain by the link I posted. It was merely a direct link to the 6 videos stating the case for the positive effects of B17 and apricot seeds.

This is part of my ongoing research until such time as I feel I have seen and read enough evidence to allow me to make an informed decision. I did exactly the same process with benfotamaine, Acai Berry, etc, etc.

if anyone wants me to share my research with them, just pm me.

I don't want to go off at a tangent or a rant here, but what really makes my blood boil is the cr*p the Food Standards Agency allow the food industry to put in our foodstuff. It is, without question, all the carbohydrates, refined sugars, artificial flavourings, etc, etc that is responsible for obesity and most of the diseases in our bodies. :evil:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
We are happy for Members to discuss the product as before, although it seems it was just you and me for now ! :|

Whether you make any gain from this is not the issue, despite the Video's actually being on the sales site. The simple fact is Forum rules do not allow the promotion and advertising of products on the Forum, unless under certain circumstances, which would have to be agreed beforehand. There are a few products which are allowed which we are fully aware of.

The discussion is not stifled........just the promotion etc. Members can read and make their own minds up about what they see. We hope that clarifies things for you. :|

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Just as an update; after doing some research last weekend I decided the best thing for me to do was buy bitter apricot kernals rather than take a pill for B17.

I ordered a 1kg bag off Ebay, which I am told should last me at least 6 months. Will start taking 4 to 6 of these per day as of today.

janice171

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Just as an update; after doing some research last weekend I decided the best thing for me to do was buy bitter apricot kernals rather than take a pill for B17.

I ordered a 1kg bag off Ebay, which I am told should last me at least 6 months. Will start taking 4 to 6 of these per day as of today.
Sorry to bring back an old thread.....

Hi Ardbeg,
I'd be interested to know how you got on with this little experiment?

Daki22

Hi Guys,

I'm currently looking into B17 and apricots as an anti cancer/cancer prevention measure.

Is there anything negative about either the use of B17 or apricots to someone with type 2 diabetes?
I recomend you some other prevention measures. is not so good for your body. It is anti cancer program and there is no information how it can ben used for diabetes.
I have same problem and i am using liver detox program with epsom salt, curcumin, dandelion root.