1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

vitamin B17 and apricots

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments' started by Ardbeg, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Ardbeg

Ardbeg Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi Guys,

I'm currently looking into B17 and apricots as an anti cancer/cancer prevention measure.

Is there anything negative about either the use of B17 or apricots to someone with type 2 diabetes?

2. cugila

cugila · Master

There is much information here in this link about Vitamin B17 and Cancer from Cancer Research UK.

http://www.cancerhelp.org.uk/about-canc ... s/laetrile

There are a multitude of websites/blogs etc which propose it's use as an alternative therapy. I can't post them here so if you Google Vit B17 and Cancer you will find them all.

This from Cancer UK :
    This rather damning one from the US where it's use is banned because of it's cyanide content apparently.......

http://www.ihealthdirectory.com/vitamin-b17/

Make your own mind up after reviewing ALL the evidence available. Personally, I wouldn't touch it with the proverbial........Diabetic or not.

If your names on the bullet......... :(

• Like Like x 1
  3. frenchkittie

frenchkittie · Well-Known Member

If it's dried apricots you're after, watch out for sulphur dioxide.

Any really nice looking, bright orange dried apricots owe their lovely colour to sulphur dioxide used in the drying process, so go for the browner, less appetising looking ones.

I'm not saying that there is any proof that sulphur dioxide, at the level used, is harmful, just that you might want to research that side of it yourself.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ardbeg

Thanks Ken.

I'm very happy with the results of taking Benfotiamine, which is essentially a B vitamin complex. Sadly it doesn't contain B17, which, according to my research this morning, was removed from sale from high street retailer in the 1980's for no good reason. Like Benfotamaine, it can be bought online.

Having had testicular cancer in my twenties and losing my father to prostate cancer at only 57 years of age, I'll take my chances with both B17 and apricot seeds.

Then again, I'm also researching the end of the world theories and predictions for 2012, so we might all be dead by next December anyway. :shock: :wink: :cry:

5. cugila

cugila · Master

B17 isn't actually a vitamin so it's not likely to be contained in B Vit concoctions.

If you have been researching all sides, have you seen this one about Apricot Seeds......?

http://www.healthline.com/galecontent/apricot-seed/3

6. cugila

cugila · Master

This too.........

7. Ardbeg

Seems strange it's called B17 if it ain't one of the B vitamins then isn't it? :?

8. cugila

cugila · Master

It was called that by those who wish to use it.......makes it sound healthy ! If you read the links I posted earlier it states what it actually is.......I ain't making this up ! :|

See here :

Information about Glycosides here : Scroll down to Cyanogenic Glycosides........

http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/ent ... glycosides

This from Wiki........plus a quote from that source :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amygdalin

As a Cancer sufferer myself IMHO I can't see why anybody would even consider B17 ........

Hope that helps.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ardbeg

Just to cheer everyone up, I'm watching a video which is available free online right now which states that people with diabetes are 3 times more likely than non diabetics to get cancer.

The video is in 6 parts and can be watched here:

(Promotional link removed. Forum Policy.)

10. cugila

cugila · Master

Nice try Jim. :)

Sorry, but as you well know Advertising and Promotion is not allowed on the Forum. Especially one that is promoting what we have just been discussing........ :wink:

11. Ardbeg

Hi Ken,

I have nothing to gain by the link I posted. It was merely a direct link to the 6 videos stating the case for the positive effects of B17 and apricot seeds.

This is part of my ongoing research until such time as I feel I have seen and read enough evidence to allow me to make an informed decision. I did exactly the same process with benfotamaine, Acai Berry, etc, etc.

if anyone wants me to share my research with them, just pm me.

I don't want to go off at a tangent or a rant here, but what really makes my blood boil is the cr*p the Food Standards Agency allow the food industry to put in our foodstuff. It is, without question, all the carbohydrates, refined sugars, artificial flavourings, etc, etc that is responsible for obesity and most of the diseases in our bodies. :evil:

12. cugila

cugila · Master

We are happy for Members to discuss the product as before, although it seems it was just you and me for now ! :|

Whether you make any gain from this is not the issue, despite the Video's actually being on the sales site. The simple fact is Forum rules do not allow the promotion and advertising of products on the Forum, unless under certain circumstances, which would have to be agreed beforehand. There are a few products which are allowed which we are fully aware of.

The discussion is not stifled........just the promotion etc. Members can read and make their own minds up about what they see. We hope that clarifies things for you. :|

13. Ardbeg

Just as an update; after doing some research last weekend I decided the best thing for me to do was buy bitter apricot kernals rather than take a pill for B17.

I ordered a 1kg bag off Ebay, which I am told should last me at least 6 months. Will start taking 4 to 6 of these per day as of today.

14. janice171

janice171 Family member · Newbie

Sorry to bring back an old thread.....

Hi Ardbeg,
    I'd be interested to know how you got on with this little experiment?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Daki22

Daki22 · Newbie

I recomend you some other prevention measures. is not so good for your body. It is anti cancer program and there is no information how it can ben used for diabetes.
    I have same problem and i am using liver detox program with epsom salt, curcumin, dandelion root.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook