Vitamins and tummy trouble

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Does any one else have trouble taking Vitamins, I was told I was short of Vit D so bought some and started to take only to have a bad tummy after a couple of weeks and trouble with bowels, then on reflection remembered that when ever I tried to take any sort of Vitamin suppliment it would always upset my stomouch and started my IBS off ,so I have stopped taking vit D, I am wondering whether this happens with people who have to take Vitamins or is it just me that has the problem? I will have to inform the Doctor when I go again so does anyone know if Vitamins can be given in any other form other than tablet form as I cna not take the darn things....

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does any one else have trouble taking Vitamins, I was told I was short of Vit D so bought some and started to take only to have a bad tummy after a couple of weeks and trouble with bowels, then on reflection remembered that when ever I tried to take any sort of Vitamin suppliment it would always upset my stomouch and started my IBS off ,so I have stopped taking vit D, I am wondering whether this happens with people who have to take Vitamins or is it just me that has the problem? I will have to inform the Doctor when I go again so does anyone know if Vitamins can be given in any other form other than tablet form as I cna not take the darn things....
No experience myself, but I'm pretty sure you can have vitamin injections?

I'm guessing that tablets are normally suggested because - as you have just confirmed - people go to the chemist and buy them, rather than your GP Surgery having to organise, and pay for, injections. That all makes perfect sense, and saves the NHS money, but don't hesitate to insist on other, costlier options, if that's what you need....

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I have to agree and will be asking this when I visit the surgery again :)

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Still am wondering WHY they upset my tummy and bowels though.... only since I started taking Diabetic meds but they are needed and will deff ask about an injection of Vits when i attend my diabetic appointment which should be some time this month

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Still am wondering WHY they upset my tummy and bowels though.... only since I started taking Diabetic meds but they are needed and will deff ask about an injection of Vits when i attend my diabetic appointment which should be some time this month
Are you on metformin? That certainly has, erm, a loosening effect on some peoples' insides......

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Vitamin tablets have other ingredients besides the vitamin.

Vitd3 drops in oil are good form. My oncologist prescribed NHS d3 just because of the cancer tablet I took. (Dont take anymore). He presribed a tablet with aspartame in it which I am intolerant to and also prescribed without taking a blood test.
I bought my own d3 liquid. But then asked for a blood test from GP. I was off the scale high!! I didnt need D3.
This was two tears ago and I am still 150 + on scale but my D3 is balanced ok with calcium.

If you take D3 you should also consider the calcium in your diet.. and K2. You need K2 to help the calcium work.

You may wish to try liquid drops (in sunflower or olive oil) instead.

Metformin certainly can disrupt stomachs/colons.

Do have a chat with GP.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I agree I did say to the Doctor when last I went I thought you did take VIT D with Calcium he said no you take the calcium to get the Vits d into your system but never offered to give me anything so will wait and see

Reactions: donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
There is a NHS/calcium tablet definitely. Ladies with BC get it...
K2 from food or citamin tablet is important too for both to work.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Called in the Health shop and they do a spray one with multy vitamins and one they have coming in tomorrow of D 3 so I will call in tomorrow and get a spray better than tabs as My Tummy will not accept any more tablets grrrr

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hiya

I take calcium and Vit D tablets - I dont take them every day just alternate days. I also have IBS and find it easier to take this way than how they were prescribed. Then again with my IBS I can never quite work out what makes it flare up oh apart from satsumas/clementines etc. Cant eat those but I can eat an orange - go figure

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Bought a spray form the health shop of Vit D3 and see how I go

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
@PatsyB how are you getting on with the spray?

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
@PatsyB how are you getting on with the spray?
No problems so far with the spray but will not know unless they do a blood test and do not think they will do as when you reach a certain age they do not seem to bother....

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
They normally need a 6 month wait between tests but should do if asked.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
will be seeing the Diabetes Nurse next wednesday for blood test results so might ask her

22nw22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You should do it sooner. It may be Diabetes so it should really be in Diabetes Discussions.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
what you mean maybe Diabetes...I have had diabetes for years now laughs but maybe the tabs i take ie metformin causing vit depletion