Vitamins/supplements Question

HR-Guy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello, I have a quick question, I was diagnosed D2 back in Dec 17 and currently taking Metformin 500mg and expecting to be off the Metformin by year end. As a part of controlling D2 the food range for me is not as wide as you would read about in the mainstream media, plus I tend to stick to a routine that has been tested and works with my lifestyle. Do you take vitamins or supplements? If so, what and why? If not, why? The toughest part of having D2 is all the incorrect information that is posted in the mainstream media.

I appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Hi ... I wonder about this too but don't actually feel the need unless I'm sick when I do vitamin c in gram doses and a multivitamin ....... I eat lots of vegetables and rarely if ever have processed foods so I guess I'm getting all I need

Last edited:
Reactions: Hwad

HR-Guy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi ... I wonder about this too but don't actually feel the need unless I'm sick when I do vitamin c in gram dises and a multivitamin ....... I eat lots of vegetables and rarely if ever have processed foods so I guess I'm getting all I need

I totally understand, I tend to gravitate around three main veggies, broccoli, cabbage and green beans. Just when you read the mainstream media I am missing something, always, and of course they can sell it to me.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a great believer in getting the vits and minerals I need from my food. Vit and min deficiencies often/usually result in symptoms, and many of them come as routine with my normal blood tests. The ones that don't I ask for if I feel the need. If I were found to be deficient, I would take a supplement, but only if I felt there was a real need.

Having said all that I have just started using a magnesium spray (absorbs better than tablets) to help my faster than I would like heart rate and ectopic beats. This is one mineral that doesn't show up too well in blood tests as it leaves the blood stream very quickly, and looking at the foods that contain the most, I don't eat many of them.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Multi vitamin, evening primrose (lady stuff) Vitamin C (helps with my hayfever) Vitamin B complex.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Vit B12 as a spray as Metformin has knocked my blood levels completely. Vit D / K2 also as a spray as my spine is osteopenic. Some correlation between Vit D deficiency and T2 diabetes has been cited in literature. I eat a varied diet and trust that I am getting a good supply of vitamins and minerals from my food along with the other compounds that work synergistically to ensure absorption and assimilation of those vitamins and minerals. Food sources are better than supplements.

HR-Guy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am a great believer in getting the vits and minerals I need from my food. Vit and min deficiencies often/usually result in symptoms, and many of them come as routine with my normal blood tests. The ones that don't I ask for if I feel the need. If I were found to be deficient, I would take a supplement, but only if I felt there was a real need.

Having said all that I have just started using a magnesium spray (absorbs better than tablets) to help my faster than I would like heart rate and ectopic beats. This is one mineral that doesn't show up too well in blood tests as it leaves the blood stream very quickly, and looking at the foods that contain the most, I don't eat many of them.

Bluetit, thanks for your reply. I tend to eat to control my blood sugar, sounds like you put forth more emphasis in eating for nutrients along with sugar control. For better nutrients purposes, what other foods do you add to your diet besides the tradition fish, beef, chicken, broccoli, cabbage, onions, and peppers that may have a vit or mineral I may be missing?

HR-Guy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Vit B12 as a spray as Metformin has knocked my blood levels completely. Vit D / K2 also as a spray as my spine is osteopenic. Some correlation between Vit D deficiency and T2 diabetes has been cited in literature. I eat a varied diet and trust that I am getting a good supply of vitamins and minerals from my food along with the other compounds that work synergistically to ensure absorption and assimilation of those vitamins and minerals. Food sources are better than supplements.

Dr Snoody, thanks for sharing. I like the idea of sprays, seems like it would be better for your body to absorb.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Bluetit, thanks for your reply. I tend to eat to control my blood sugar, sounds like you put forth more emphasis in eating for nutrients along with sugar control. For better nutrients purposes, what other foods do you add to your diet besides the tradition fish, beef, chicken, broccoli, cabbage, onions, and peppers that may have a vit or mineral I may be missing?

I eat low carb and high fat. I eat a lot of dairy, and have 105g of tinned wild salmon 3 times a week, and dozens of eggs. I don't eat fruit. I eat peas and mushrooms, one or two small potatoes 3 or 4 times a week (new boiled, roast or 6 chips), and green veg only on Sundays, tomatoes daily, flaxseed daily. Plus meat and fish. I also eat to control my blood sugars. (successfully!!)

HR-Guy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Dr. Snoody, thank you for B12 advice. I went out and purchased some of the B12 in a spray and I cannot believe the boost in energy the spray has given me. I am tracking my numbers to see the before and after numbers to determine if I want to continue. I must admit I do like the burst of energy. Just wanted to thank you.

Australiadiabetic2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I eat low carb and high fat. I eat a lot of dairy, and have 105g of tinned wild salmon 3 times a week, and dozens of eggs. I don't eat fruit. I eat peas and mushrooms, one or two small potatoes 3 or 4 times a week (new boiled, roast or 6 chips), and green veg only on Sundays, tomatoes daily, flaxseed daily. Plus meat and fish. I also eat to control my blood sugars. (successfully!!)
Love your diet .

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Dr. Snoody, thank you for B12 advice. I went out and purchased some of the B12 in a spray and I cannot believe the boost in energy the spray has given me. I am tracking my numbers to see the before and after numbers to determine if I want to continue. I must admit I do like the burst of energy. Just wanted to thank you.
Really glad to be able to help. When you get routine blood tests done ask to have B12 and Vit D done as well so that you can regulate dosage. Boring but useful!

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Alcohol, smoking and painkillers intake means that supplements are needed. Not enough vitamins in food

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dr Snoody, thanks for sharing. I like the idea of sprays, seems like it would be better for your body to absorb.
I'd add magnesium spray as T2 can make this key nutrient for heart health or if you suffer from muscle cramps.
We should be able to get all we need from food but we must bear in mind that modern veg grown in soil that has had its nutrients depleted is likely to be less nutritious than organic or home grown stuff.

Reactions: Serena51

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd add magnesium spray as T2 can make this key nutrient for heart health or if you suffer from muscle cramps.
We should be able to get all we need from food but we must bear in mind that modern veg grown in soil that has had its nutrients depleted is likely to be less nutritious than organic or home grown stuff.

I have just started using a magnesium spray to help my faster-than-I like heart rate and ectopic beats. Not noticed much difference as yet. Do you use it?

Ellbee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Ellbee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Could you tell me where you get the spray please I’ve started on the tablets for the ectopic beats and they work unless I go very low on the carbs ?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Ellbee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I wasn’t prescribed the tablets I purchased them off amazon Magnesium I have no idea why it works but I guess something to do with electrolyte levels in the blood ??

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I wasn’t prescribed the tablets I purchased them off amazon Magnesium I have no idea why it works but I guess something to do with electrolyte levels in the blood ??

Thanks. I've been using the spray since beginning of June and have seen no improvement. :(