VLC Dieters

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Truly tragic, condolences to your neighbours.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Very sad and such a young age.

Nigel

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
:shock:

Do you know what diet she was on?

WhitbyJet

Patch, at present I am not comfortable naming the particular brand of the VLCD, except that it was akin to Herbalife, Optifast, etc. A post mortem has been carried out and there are further legal issues surrounding this incident. Andrea was not suffering from any pre-existing medical condition.

Andrea's mother prepared additional vegetable meals according to manufacturers instructions. VLCDs come with a disclaimer, advising medical supervision.
Please Patch, Kenny, et al,.....I admire you for what you are prepared to put yourself through in order to lose weight, become healthy. But please think about it, arrange some blood tests along the way. Too late for Andrea now.

Good luck, good health.

ally5555

As a Dietitian I think that it should really be done under supervision.
VLD are sometimes used for quick weight loss pre surgery but patients are monitored and their diet would be assessed to ensure that is adequate for micro nutrients.

Ally

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
A trully tragic story WhitbyJet, my sympathies to all who knew her.

Do feel that there must have been some other major factors playing in this case for an event such as this to be precipitated from only two weeks of a VLCD. People who have been totally without food for as long by earthquakes, misadventure on land and sea have been documented with incredible stories of survival providing water was available. It would seem that if vegetables were consumed along with shakes the issue of micro nutrients also would not be a life threatening problem.