Wagamama

Nick8718

Since my T2 diagnosis I’ve missed eating out at Wagamama. BOY, I’ve missed it. According to Carbs & Cals the only low carb main was a sirloin and shiitake salad. But I went in the other day and asked for the noodles to be substituted for bean sprouts in a yaki soba main dish and two things happened: 1 - it tasted as good as the normal one and 2 - it hardly raised my sugars at all ... 4.6 to 4.8. It might affect you more than me but I didn’t add any extra soy sauce to it and my bloods kept at an acceptable level.
I had a chat with the manager afterwards and I’m now going to approach their marketing dept to try and hammer home to them the potential of advertising and creating low carb options of their dishes. They already have vegan and GF menus but a low carb menu (or staff who knew how to substitute low carb ingredients) would be great.
Next .... fish and chips. What do you reckon?

Reactions: AloeSvea and DJC3

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Since my T2 diagnosis I’ve missed eating out at Wagamama. BOY, I’ve missed it. According to Carbs & Cals the only low carb main was a sirloin and shiitake salad. But I went in the other day and asked for the noodles to be substituted for bean sprouts in a yaki soba main dish and two things happened: 1 - it tasted as good as the normal one and 2 - it hardly raised my sugars at all ... 4.6 to 4.8. It might affect you more than me but I didn’t add any extra soy sauce to it and my bloods kept at an acceptable level.
I had a chat with the manager afterwards and I’m now going to approach their marketing dept to try and hammer home to them the potential of advertising and creating low carb options of their dishes. They already have vegan and GF menus but a low carb menu (or staff who knew how to substitute low carb ingredients) would be great.
Next .... fish and chips. What do you reckon?

Maybe they could even look at offering a shirataki noodle alternative?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I always use bean sprouts instead of noodles in a stir fry at home, in fact I’ve just had stir fry for dinner :hungry:

Reactions: Nick8718

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for the post. Good to know that they don’t mind replacing the noodles with bean sprouts. I wouldn’t have thought about going there again :)

Nick8718

Thank you for the post. Good to know that they don’t mind replacing the noodles with bean sprouts. I wouldn’t have thought about going there again :)
Obviously there may be things that spike you - I can’t go near Chinese takeaway food without my sugars doing an impression of Mount Vesuvius - but for some reason it didn’t seem that sauce heavy- oil and egg glaze according to the recipe book. Yay!

Reactions: AloeSvea

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Nick8718 what a great idea, you’re right, GF veggie and vegan alternatives are commonplace now so why not low carb? Well done

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Most resteraunts will replce items for you.....good on you for asking as well

Fish and chips hmmmmmm......as long as you ask them to take the batter off and replace the chips with salad :hilarious:

Reactions: DJC3

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Fish and chips hmmmmmm......as long as you ask them to take the batter off and replace the chips with salad :hilarious:

Ah but porl69, what would be the point??? :)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Our local chippy will happily do me a steamed fish, no batter. I think most will do that if you ask. I have a pickled egg with it too! ( not the same I know but at least I can have something when the family decide they want a fish supper)

Reactions: KK123 and AloeSvea

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
You all have made me sooooo hungry for fish! Later in the day I am going to go down to a local fish and chip store, and get my favourite fish grilled, and because I find that fish on its own just doesn't fill - with a side of greek salad (the feta and the olives), and a Polynesian classic that managed to survive the anti-saturated fat crusade - raw fish marinaded in coconut milk and lemon - mmmmm.

Wish there was a Wagamama with low carb offerings to boot, too, for when I get sick of turkey and ham next week.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve been in a couple of prezzo restaurants that are happy to put the pasta sauces over the green veg (side) instead of pasta then I add a side of more of veg

Reactions: Nick8718 and DJC3

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Our local chippy will happily do me a steamed fish, no batter. I think most will do that if you ask. I have a pickled egg with it too! ( not the same I know but at least I can have something when the family decide they want a fish supper)
I keep a jar or two of pickled eggs at home for this type of use.

Reactions: DJC3

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I saved my carb allowance today and blew it all on fish and chips with batter BG at 7.8 afterwards but not as bad as I thought it was going to be. (one portion of chips split between three of us and a small battered cod)

Reactions: Nick8718

Miss.T. Morning

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
I have started asking for a large battered cod with mushy peas when my family have fish & chips. I just eat the batter that stays crispy and my BS stays stable :)

Reactions: JohnEGreen