Waiting list for a pump

glavesr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Depends on the local NHS personally it has took me 8 years to get back in a room with the pump doctor

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @joanne75 It can vary greatly, it took me about 10 months from initial discussions with my DSN to the day I was given mine, it went for approval at the 'board' and was turned down at the first hearing, then approved at the second. I didn't think it would happen throughout the process as didn't want to be disappointed if it wasn't approved. Have you already discussed this with your team ?

joanne75

Hi @joanne75 It can vary greatly, it took me about 10 months from initial discussions with my DSN to the day I was given mine, it went for approval at the 'board' and was turned down at the first hearing, then approved at the second. I didn't think it would happen throughout the process as didn't want to be disappointed if it wasn't approved. Have you already discussed this with your team ?
Thank you it has been mentioned to my dietician who has said that theres at least a years wait unless of course someone changes their mind about having one and it might be sooner, am waiting on seeing the DSN who deals with them so hopefully ill get an appointment soon to discuss.

Reactions: HLC2017 and Juicyj

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
My best advice is to keep pushing them, it's very much down to you to motivate your team to work with you on this, good luck and let us know how you get on ;)

joanne75

My best advice is to keep pushing them, it's very much down to you to motivate your team to work with you on this, good luck and let us know how you get on ;)
Yes I will I have already been asking when I will get an appointment but everything takes times doesn't it but I am def on it, I am also having a trial for the Libre next week as well so I very excited about that, thanks all will keep you posted :)

Reactions: HLC2017 and Juicyj

bethgriff

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Change your diabetes centre! 3 years! I had an appointment with my diabetes consultant in early December, referred to pump clinic, seen there within 2 weeks (I asked the Secetary to contact me with any cancellations), then had few apps with dietician, nurse and carb counting course... got my pump yesterday! As long as you meet nice guidelines it really should not take 3 years!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
From the initial pump discussion with the Endo & DSN through to actually pumping insulin it was around 5 months.

Minnie45

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
After 10 years of trying at my previous hospital (not very pro pump) I gave up, transferred to a new hospital who were very pro pump and within a few months I had my pump. Totally transformed my quality of life (over 40 years of being a T1), control is the best it has ever been.

Vwhite1980

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Loud noise, runner beans, liars
The trick is to convince your diabetes team that it will benefit your control and that you are trying very hard using your insulin pen but you are still not getting the results you want. I always used the argument of how frustrating it is when i carb counted and could not give myself the right amount of insulin for example a slice of bread is 17g of carbohydrate my ration is 1 unit to 10g of carbohydrate so I need 1.7 units of insulin, I have to give either 1 unit or 2 units with an insulin pen, both are wrong and result in my sugar levels being unstable. Now I am on the pump this is not a problem as pump delivers in multiples of 0.1 units. My carb to insulin ration is now 10g to 0.8 units....I could never do that with an insulin pen! I also struggled with my basal insulin, at 8am my blood sugar was always perfect, if I had breakfast then everything was fine....if I waited until 10am for breakfast my blood sugar was always high! very frustrating. On the pump due to the proficiently calculated basal rate I don't have this problem, my sugars just stay level. 2 very good arguments that helped me get my pump!

Reactions: himtoo

Fergie1985

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My local hospital wouldn't even talk to me about getting on a pump, just kept sending letters back to me and my gp saying no, so I changed hospitals! Had my 1st appointment there end of August, pre pump assessment beginning of November and started my pump beginning of April!! Did your trying and the hospital aren't helping, change! Xx

Reactions: himtoo

Tracyann35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi All

Just wondering how long people had to wait before they were given a pump??

I got mine within a few weeks as my liver was pushing out sugar in the early hours and this couldn't really be controlled with the pump

joanne75

Thank you for all your replies I m not really sure what my argument is I have said I would benefit from a pump and my dietician has put this in a letter but there is still a waiting list of a year, whether they put me on a reserve list or what I really don't know am meeting the DSN that deals with pumps at the end of the month so will get more info then as to how long I will need to wait, I believe I will get one its just a pain having to wait so long :)

kellyxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, I waitied 1 and a half years for a pump, that was because they held a pump for me and gave it to someone else.