Waking BG is confusing me

mcarbl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all. I’m recently diagnosed Type 2. Recent HbA1c reading is 52 mmol.

Since diagnosis, I’ve been on a strict 90g carbs per day diet but I’ve got a Contour Next One monitor and noticed something I don’t understand.

My waking BG for the last month has been between 5.3 - 7.8. However, it’s been higher when following the diet and low (5.3 & 5.4) on the two mornings following the two times I’ve had pizza for dinner the evening before.

Usual diet is eggs for breakfast; cheese salad & yoghurt for lunch; Quorn & vegetables for dinner.

Any ideas why this is? It’s the opposite to what I’d expected.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a 24/7 monitor and have the same phenomenon - In my case what happens is after a late night carb meal I spend all night with high blood sugars that gradually come down towards the morning, I'm already stuffed full of glucose so the morning liver dump when your body manufactures it is less marked

After a low carb meal I spend all might with low blood sugars and because I am not stuffed full of glucose in the morning my body kicks off making a bit.

On average low carb diet gives me much lower blood glucose numbers . It might be something similar !

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a particular effect caused by pizza. It is very high in both carbs and fat, so the fat inhibits the take up of the carbs into the BS.

Reactions: mcarbl

mcarbl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Interesting. Thanks!

Just trying to learn how different foods affect me at this stage, and that one threw me.

Reactions: Ultramum

mcarbl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
So last night before bed, I was 6.5. This was 3 hours after eating.

I’ve woken up this morning and I am 8.0, without having eaten or drinking anything at all since my last test.

How is this so? Sorry, I am a complete novice!

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
So last night before bed, I was 6.5. This was 3 hours after eating.

I’ve woken up this morning and I am 8.0, without having eaten or drinking anything at all since my last test.

How is this so? Sorry, I am a complete novice!
This is the Dawn Phenomenon, which @CherryAA above referred to as a liver dump, simply another way of referring to it
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose/dawn-phenomenon.html
It's your body's way of getting you ready for action in the morning, but it can be annoying :banghead:
Geoff

Reactions: mcarbl and Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is quite common for everybody to have a raised blood glucose in the mornings : This is due to our liver and because also in type 2 diabetics in most cases our liver is also a bit overactive .
Your strategy is excellent so keep your nose in the track and over time your morning numbers will probably lower a bit .
Some when They fast also get a bit higher “dawn phenomenon “ so dont worry much of that just focus.
My own number is also much higher in the mornings But still my HbA1c is 34 which is in the nondiabetic area

Reactions: mcarbl