Type 1 Waking up with a wild blood sugars

samowen268

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, I’ll try to make this as short as I can.

I’m very worried, the past week or so, my blood sugars have been all over the place.. I’ve had fairly decent control these past few weeks, but now I’m going from hypo to high in no time!
It seems every time I go to sleep, whether just for an hours nap or a full 8 hours, I wake up with high blood sugars, but it has always been the other way round, they’re usually on the lower side.. however for the last week I’ve been really poorly with a sore throat/swollen glands/flu symptoms, do you think this could be related? I’ve woken up after having a 2 hours nap with bloods of 23.. they were 8.0 when I went to sleep and I hadn’t eaten prior to this!
no ketones so it’s okay and drinking lots of water and have injected so they’ll come back down within the hour.. but it’s very bizarre and frightening, has anyone else experienced similar issues while feeling under the weather?

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, illness is probably the explanation. When you are sick your body is under stress, and it makes your blood sugar high. Have you got a sick day management plan that you discussed with your doctor? Generally they will advise you on how to adjust your insulin when you are sick. Good job checking ketones, make sure you keep on doing so if your blood sugar remains high. Continue drinking plenty, and giving correction doses. If you have ketones as well as nausea, vomiting, stomach pain and fruity smelling breath, consider going to hospital as these are symptoms of DKA. Get well soon! :)

Reactions: samowen268

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I’m very worried, the past week or so, my blood sugars have been all over the place.. I’ve had fairly decent control these past few weeks, but now I’m going from hypo to high in no time!
It seems every time I go to sleep, whether just for an hours nap or a full 8 hours, I wake up with high blood sugars, but it has always been the other way round, they’re usually on the lower side.. however for the last week I’ve been really poorly with a sore throat/swollen glands/flu symptoms, do you think this could be related? I’ve woken up after having a 2 hours nap with bloods of 23.. they were 8.0 when I went to sleep and I hadn’t eaten prior to this!
no ketones so it’s okay and drinking lots of water and have injected so they’ll come back down within the hour.. but it’s very bizarre and frightening, has anyone else experienced similar issues while feeling under the weather?

Hi Sam,

Sorry you're a bit under the weather..
Have you been taking any form of cold/flu/cough meds..?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.

What do you mean by come back down within the hour?? No way should your levels be dropping from 23 to normal levels within an hour... should be you are back to normal levels at 5 hours otherwise you run the risk of hypos... and severe ones..

samowen268

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What do you mean by come back down within the hour?? No way should your levels be dropping from 23 to normal levels within an hour... should be you are back to normal levels at 5 hours otherwise you run the risk of hypos... and severe ones..
Forgive me, I meant I start seeing a small response after an hour, naturally they’re not fine within the hour, finding it hard to concentrate with this illness

samowen268

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Sam,

Sorry you're a bit under the weather..
Have you been taking any form of cold/flu/cough meds..?

Only paracetamol, it’s mainly just my throat that’s causing the problems, which has made my mouth swell and giving me toothache also

samowen268

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, illness is probably the explanation. When you are sick your body is under stress, and it makes your blood sugar high. Have you got a sick day management plan that you discussed with your doctor? Generally they will advise you on how to adjust your insulin when you are sick. Good job checking ketones, make sure you keep on doing so if your blood sugar remains high. Continue drinking plenty, and giving correction doses. If you have ketones as well as nausea, vomiting, stomach pain and fruity smelling breath, consider going to hospital as these are symptoms of DKA. Get well soon! :)

Thankyou! :) when I was a younger teenager my body just ran on high blood sugar, I have no idea how I didn’t have DKA at all, it amazes me how much my body has been through and how it has coped, I am terrified of getting high sugars now!
They have come down from 23 to 14 within 2 hours so it’s steadily improving, just hard to drink all this water with such a sore throat! Here’s to hoping to better health for Christmas!! Happy Holidays! :)

Reactions: donnellysdogs

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thankyou! :) when I was a younger teenager my body just ran on high blood sugar, I have no idea how I didn’t have DKA at all, it amazes me how much my body has been through and how it has coped, I am terrified of getting high sugars now!
They have come down from 23 to 14 within 2 hours so it’s steadily improving, just hard to drink all this water with such a sore throat! Here’s to hoping to better health for Christmas!! Happy Holidays! :)

Well that's an improvement, but you're still within the danger zone for DKA, so keep an eye on things! Glad to see you've come down a bit. Keep on drinking too - I know it must be a bit annoying, but drinking will help you recover from your illness faster, as well as helping your blood sugars. Merry Christmas to you too, and I hope you are feeling well enough to engage in the festivities come Christmas day :)

samowen268

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well that's an improvement, but you're still within the danger zone for DKA, so keep an eye on things! Glad to see you've come down a bit. Keep on drinking too - I know it must be a bit annoying, but drinking will help you recover from your illness faster, as well as helping your blood sugars. Merry Christmas to you too, and I hope you are feeling well enough to engage in the festivities come Christmas day :)

Finally down to 8.6 now!!
thank you, I’m feeling a little better already so should be all good by then, Merry Christmas!!!

Reactions: donnellysdogs