Wales NHS Push on Pumps

RAH79

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello All

Any Type 1s in the Wales area not currently on pumps noticed that your Diabetic team have recently changed their attitude towards being put on pumps?

A couple of years ago I was recommended to go on a pump due to fluctuations in BGs and was told that it could fix my problems controlling it, but was told by my consultant that I had to go through a 6 weeks monitoring to see how good I was at recording BGs and how good I am at managing it before I could go on one. He said that when pumps first came out people where using them then finding they weren't working and going back to injections which was costing NHS considerable money. I went through the 6 week monitoring thing then got told that it might not fix things and in actual fact my levels weren't that bad but I could go on a pump if I really wanted. At that point I thought well if I had managed to improve control through injections then why bother going through hassle of pump and lose the control I had worked so hard to gain so I chose not to go on a pump.

Suddenly however, when I recently saw my DSN I was told that recent research has identified that Wales are so far behind England for populations of Type 1s using pump that they are literally throwing different brands of pumps at me and I could be on one within a couple of weeks! I'm confused because I thought the purpose of going on a pump was to improve the control of my condition and my health.....not because some statistic told me to??? Has anyone else experienced this?

kev1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No that's not happened to me yet. I'm quite happy so far on my multiple injection regime. What I am getting a little worried about is the annual check ups at hospital are beginning to stretch credibility unless a year now has 16 plus months. Despite phone calls its not getting any better. Thank goodness for my DSN at my GP surgery who I can see at any time if I need to.