Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Personally I love nothing more than a ramble round the countryside, it's so good to get out into our beautiful countryside and breath fresh air, helps the blood glucose levels, stress levels and increases endorphins and aids sleep too.

If anyone is struggling to get outside more then there are group walks you can join across the country, it's good to meet others too, have a search for your local area and get a good pair of boots :)

https://www.ramblers.org.uk/go-walking.aspx

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Our local U3A has a strollers group where if so inclined you can go for a stroll with other like minded people.

on their site it says

A gentle walk, with friendly people, easy on the body, giving you gentle exercise and then at the end the chance of a drink, and a chat.

I am thinking of giving it a go.

Reactions: Gannet and Juicyj

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
Personally I love nothing more than a ramble round the countryside, it's so good to get out into our beautiful countryside and breath fresh air, helps the blood glucose levels, stress levels and increases endorphins and aids sleep too.

If anyone is struggling to get outside more then there are group walks you can join across the country, it's good to meet others too, have a search for your local area and get a good pair of boots :)

https://www.ramblers.org.uk/go-walking.aspx
I'm 64 and still an active rugby referee. Unfortunately years of doing sport didn't prevent me from becoming type 2. Life can be a bum:***:

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I'm 64 and still an active rugby referee. Unfortunately years of doing sport didn't prevent me from becoming type 2. Life can be a bum:***:

True life can be a bum, but a walk outdoors is a good way to boost the mood :)

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
And just to remind us all - walking is a great way to keep our hearts and vascular system functioning well. Very important for us! For everyone, but for those with blood glucose issues - looking out for our heart health is particularly important, due to the rates we die too early from cardiovascular disease. (I think the stat is 50% of those with diabetes die too early from CVDs, in Aotearoa/NZ at least, not sure where I read it to provide a link. Maybe different countries have different stats on this too I would think...)

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd second the U3A - a friend of mine has had T2 for 10 years and she joined a U3A stroller group last year. It has spurred her on to up the distance walked and join another group. For those whose fitness levels are low, thinking of joining a walking group can be daunting as there's the impression that they only cater for fit people and don't have short, easy walks - this is certainly not the case.

Dearbhla

Type of diabetes
Type 1
There are often meetup groups that get out walking together, weekly...or you can set up your own meetup group...on local forums on Facebook you'll find people advertising to get a walking or couch to 5 k type group together. These often move over to messenger where people express interest and give their phone number and then everyone uses whattsapp.

In Ireland there's some local athletic clubs doing Fit4Life groups. There're a few times a week, morning and late evenings.
The idea is that people meet and -move forward- do stretches, walk or maybe couch to 5k if they are fit enough or people work to improve their sprinting or distance runs. 3euro to 5euro per session. Brilliant and great for feel good.

Reactions: Sue192