Walking Angst.

theblokefromstoke

Dislikes
Pizza (makes my BG go through the roof), Pasta & potatoes.
Hi All,

I am a type 2 taking 2 X metformin per day, my HBA1C is 5.5, my BMI is 25 and i'm in quite good shape.

My query is that If I go for a vigorous walk or run , after a while I do tend to go a little low - maybe 4.2, even if I eat complex carbs before the excercise. I start feeling a litle rough and need to sit down for a few minutes. The strange thing is, after 5 or 10 minutes, even if i've eaten nothing my BG will rise to normal levels but this leaves me feeling tired, hungry and not fully in touch with my head. I find myself forgetting simple words and can't seem to think straight.

I've discussed this with my Doctor and DB Nurse who both waived their hands and me and told me its because I'm not eating enough carbs. Neither have supported me during my lowering carb diet.

The problem is that if I load myself with carbs I feel very tired and sluggish as well as my BG rocketing.

I now have to pace myself with walks and know how vigerous i can be and when I need to stop and just have a minute so as to avoid this situation. Its ok if im walking alone but if i go with friends or a group, I can get a liitle anxoius over things.

I work in construction management and some sites can involve a couple of miles walk from one end to the other and its this situation that is bothering me the most. Sometimes I have to accompany clients, walking, talking and being 'on the ball'. And quite franlky I don't always feel like I am. I do take an apple or breakfast bar on these walks with me, but eating on the go doesn't seem to help.

Eiche

Dislikes
Not being able to satisfy my craving for chocolate LOL
The reason this happens to you is because when you exercise, your pancreas produces more insulin and it uses up more sugar to fuel your muscles to keep you going (my doc explained this to me). If I was in your shoes, I would take a small bottle of pure no added sugar orange juice or apple juice with me on walks just to give me a little boost when I start to feel my BG is slipping too low.

On another note, can't you change your doctor if you are not happy with the support they don't seem to be giving you? You have a right to be heard and have your worries taken seriously, don't let them snub you when you KNOW something is wrong, they can't feel how you feel!