Walking Football

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Anyone else play? I've just discovered this and I'm nearly a month in, played twice a week since Christmas. It is aimed at 50+ and for all ages and types, no particular level of skill needed which is great for me.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I started training sessions this week. I'm totally unfit, obese and never kicked a ball before in my life but I intend to continue as it's fun. :)

Oh and for ladies it's aimed at 40+

Last edited:

Widgets

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My cousin has been playing for a few years, he loves it.

I keep failing to find anywhere for us female types to play.

Reactions: Lainie71 and zand

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anyone else play? I've just discovered this and I'm nearly a month in, played twice a week since Christmas. It is aimed at 50+ and for all ages and types, no particular level of skill needed which is great for me.

Yes! Although not for a while as I’ve been unwell.

Here’s me playing for the Arsenal In The Community Team in 2018 (I’ve scrubbed out the other faces to protect privacy).

Attachments

• 6AA66208-3CA8-447C-B940-66D740E22541.jpeg
    6AA66208-3CA8-447C-B940-66D740E22541.jpeg
    202.9 KB · Views: 198

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes! Although not for a while as I’ve been unwell.

Here’s me playing for the Arsenal In The Community Team in 2018 (I’ve scrubbed out the other faces to protect privacy).
You were the one who inspired me to try it.:)

Reactions: Lamont D

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, only just started training sessions for absolute beginners. I like how it's working my muscles without me noticing...until a day or so later lol

It’s much more strenuous than you’d imagine. At least that’s what I found.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s much more strenuous than you’d imagine. At least that’s what I found.
Yes definitely...and I'm only just learning the basics. I hope I can stick with it.

I'm also finding my brain isn't what it was pre covid. It can't always tell my body what to do lol. Really hoping I will get there though

Last edited:
Reactions: Goonergal

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Excellent. Where I play we have female and male players, only criterion is being over 50. I'm having to change my style of play a bit because of the non-contact stuff but I'll get used to it, maybe. Really enjoying it.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are number of walking football teams in the Wide Bay area, mostly made up of special needs people as it matches their abilities to exercise and have some fun while playing it.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I've had my 4th session of walking football training today and I'm really enjoying it. :)

Doddy1974

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Ong I would love to do this!!!! Although i would be very tempted to run! Even though my body wouldn’t be able to and it would probably kill me

Reactions: Goonergal and zand

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ong I would love to do this!!!! Although i would be very tempted to run! Even though my body wouldn’t be able to and it would probably kill me
It is so hard trying not to run, even though I am very obese it's natural to try to 'get there' as quickly as I can lol

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree @Doddy1974 and @zand

When I first started I couldn’t run, but as I got fitter and weight dropped, it got very tempting to run! I was playing in a mixed group and there were definitely a few who had a liberal interpretation of walking.

Reactions: zand

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you do a sliding celebration? :D
Lol no. I was tempted to take my shirt off but thought better of it. :hilarious:
So much rain today, when I got home I was as wet as if I had fallen in.a swimming pool fully clothed.
Great fun though and I can actually kick a ball now too.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Played 3 times this week. Muscles aching like crazy tonight.
How's everyone else doing?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Played 3 times this week. Muscles aching like crazy tonight.
How's everyone else doing?
You cannot imagine how delighted I am to see this post. (I had , somehow, missed the thread altogether). Zand, I have seen your health struggles posts, so it is so good you are getting so much enjoyment from participating in sport. :)

• Friendly
Reactions: zand