Walking

Jackalina

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I walk almost every day for at least an hour not at power walking pace but fairly steady, is this considered exercise for a diabetic?

C

catherinecherub

Well done you. :D :D Walking is an ideal way to exercise and keep your heart healthy.
I am a great believer in exercise as a way to manage your diabetes and we are not all inclined to go to the gym or do extreme sports.

FelineFan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I don't suffer fools gladly!
Sounds good to me!
Well done you!

kateincornwall

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who lie , animal cruelty , boredom and pineapple !
Its a brilliant way to stay fit ! I walk my dogs every day, usually for about an hour and if I miss , I feel slugish and stodgy !! Stick at it , well done

Jackalina

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you, I was laid up for 7 weeks with a broken leg and couldn't do the walk and definitely didn't feel as well as I do with the walking but wasnt't sure that it was strenuous enough.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Except for cycling, walking is the only other exercise I do. Walking for 1 hour everyday is a excellent way to keep fit and active. I walk my dog each day for about 60-90 minutes, and like Kateincornwell, feel sluggish when I don't.

Nigel

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Walking is brilliant exercise, but it mustn't be "ambling" You do need to get "puffing" and get your heart rate up. I walk with health walk groups. some of the members are brilliant walkers and can sustain faster than 4 miles per hour for ages over any terrain. I can't do this, but I can do about 4 miles across country and uphills in about 1 hour 15 minutes. I am NOT GOOD at hills. I need to lose at least 2 more stone and the weight isn't budging.
Hana
Ps some of the hills in North Berkshire and South Oxfordshire are STEEP. Not particularly high, but hard. the Goring and Strealey golf course is a killer.

dragongirl

I love walking and used to do loads in Leeds, but here in the hills it is far to wet to climb over the hills or roam on the scrubby farmland behind (very tussocky and overgrown so you fall down holes you didn't know were there) and my cottage is on a main road with no place to walk beside the tarmac and, worse, it is very steep and so I would be breathing heavily amid car fumes and risking getting knocked down all at once! Add to that the fact that all other exercise makes me lose weight I can't afford to lose, then you see why I might migrate south again just to get walking! I just can't countenance driving in my car for half an hour to get to somewhere to walk as I don't have the odd half day free.
DG

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
dragongirl said:
I love walking and used to do loads in Leeds, but here in the hills it is far to wet to climb over the hills or roam on the scrubby farmland behind (very tussocky and overgrown so you fall down holes you didn't know were there) and my cottage is on a main road with no place to walk beside the tarmac and, worse, it is very steep and so I would be breathing heavily amid car fumes and risking getting knocked down all at once! Add to that the fact that all other exercise makes me lose weight I can't afford to lose, then you see why I might migrate south again just to get walking! I just can't countenance driving in my car for half an hour to get to somewhere to walk as I don't have the odd half day free.
DG

dg, I'm not sure which part of Northumberland you live, but I often holiday with my family up Berwick upon Tweed and Coldingham near to Eyemouth. There's some beautiful walking along the coast, especially up near St Abbs where the views are fantastic. Shame you don't have the odd day off, as I am sure it is worth a half hour drive to take in some of the scenery. Next time you have a spare day or two, have a drive up to Coldingham Bay, I assure you the beach is lovely and very quiet too, and plenty of water sports and diving if you are into any of those things.

Nigel

dragongirl

Thanks - I agree the county is brilliant and there's loads of places to walk. When I wasn't so busy I used to write up walks in the area for Living History (now BBC History). I know the possibilities and go for days out once in a while - but as a regular thing it is ridiculous to have to take an hour's return drive to get an hour's walk. Sitting in a car is not exercise! We have a caravan at Seahouses and walk miles when we're over there. But what I want is regular daily walks here. It's always struck me as strange that after moving to the countryside it was more difficult to get daily exercise! Maybe when I'm retired... I do so love the jobs I do. Maybe I'll have to up the housework!
DG

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
celery, not eating chocolate
I walk the dogs twice a day for about 45 minutes each time. And the best thing about walking, is it is free :mrgreen:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
dragongirl said:
Thanks - I agree the county is brilliant and there's loads of places to walk. When I wasn't so busy I used to write up walks in the area for Living History (now BBC History). I know the possibilities and go for days out once in a while - but as a regular thing it is ridiculous to have to take an hour's return drive to get an hour's walk. Sitting in a car is not exercise! We have a caravan at Seahouses and walk miles when we're over there. But what I want is regular daily walks here. It's always struck me as strange that after moving to the countryside it was more difficult to get daily exercise! Maybe when I'm retired... I do so love the jobs I do. Maybe I'll have to up the housework!
DG

I can see what you mean, driving for a hour is time consuming and a expensive way of finding exercise. Seahouses, nice place to holiday and the Neptune Cafe is the best fish and chip shop for miles around. :D We often park up at the start of the causeway and walk over to Holy Island for a few hours, keeping a eye on the tide time-table so that we don't get caught out! As I said, a beautiful part of the country with some quite rugged and beautiful scenery to admire.

Nigel

chrisbldck

Sounds perfect. The very obvious statement is to have some sugar / sugary drink on you in case you start feeling hypoish - but I guess you've sorted out what you personally need as you're already walking.

Cowboyjim

I try to do half an hour a day combined with at least 15 mins on the cross-trainer. I have a bike too so I can get further afield when the weather's better. Talking of which I suppose one has to be mindful of bad weather and the cold for fear of catching something....
Have not tested lately to see how one should eat vs exercise tho I recall it did bring my BG down last year. Anyone know what the actual quantitative reward for your BG might be per mile etc? Suppose it varies.

Aubergenie

Dislikes
Weetabix, Twilight, Katherine Jenkins,
Now that the mornings are getting lighter I think I shall start walking to/from work. I am in need of a kick up the bum with regards my exercise routine. I've been far too lethargic lately to do anything.

I hope its nice on the way home from work later this morning....

FelineFan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I don't suffer fools gladly!
I don't think the long, very cold winter, has inspired anyone to do much exercise! Or is that just me :oops:
Roll on Spring and Summer! I need to be inspired!

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Dave Knight said:
Is 'ambling' a waste of time as far as exercise goes?

Movement of any kind is good and doing something helps you on to the track of then doing more or being able to do more. At the moment I am not able to very much at all so 'movement' is my aim! :)

Aubergenie

Dislikes
Weetabix, Twilight, Katherine Jenkins,
Aubergenie said:
Now that the mornings are getting lighter I think I shall start walking to/from work. I am in need of a kick up the bum with regards my exercise routine. I've been far too lethargic lately to do anything.

I hope its nice on the way home from work later this morning....

Quoting myself here to update on the walking to/from work. I live 2.5 miles from where I work, (up and down a steep hill) and I've walked to work every day this week. I'm feeling fitter, my sugars are lower, an my jeans are looser. I hope it doesn't rain tomorrow. LOL