Walt Disney World Florida

bellapodus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi.
I am going there in July/August this year. I wonder, if anyone here has been there and what is the food like, portion size etc?

jallsop

Portion size is huge!!! I have been there many times, although the last time we went was in July 2005 as my health has been very poor since then. Hoping to go again next year though.

Although I haven't been since being diagnosed with diabetes I have always been aware that many restaurants have notices on their menu that they can cater to people with things like celiac disease, wheat allergies, this allergy, that allergy, and everywhere seems to have their menu marked with "D" beside diabetic choices, markers to say whether food contains wheat, low fat choices, etc. On that side of things, you won't have a problem.

If you have any general questions about Disney please feel free to PM me. I can also give you web addresses of some forums which have posts/threads dealing with people who are diabetic and how they have coped out there. Very useful stuff.

Oh, and I'm VERY jealous. :lol:

Jackie

chocoholic

I'm jealous too. I've been a few times and the Americans do seem to always serve HUGE portions. We tried not to eat in the Disney parks too often. If you have the option, go to a Golden Coral instead.They do HUGE buffets that run all day. Breakfast, lunch or dinner is a joy because not only are they reasonably priced (pick up the coupon booklets everywhere to get discount vouchers for this and other eating places) you will be amazed by the choice. You can eat hot food, salads, soups, in fact anything you can think of, Golden Coral will have it and being a buffet you can take as much or as little as you want. I did not know about carb. affecting blood sugar last time we went, so indulged in the desserts labelled 'sugar-free'. They do a yummy 'sugar-free' cherry pie but my reading went sky-high after eating that on it's own one day, so beware of the 'sugar-free' stuff.
Just be aware that knowing how many carbs. in things is tricky in the States. They do huge rolls that I'm sure were glazed in a sugar syrup but were served with savoury stuff. I never tried those as I did try to eat sensibly. My advice....the Americans have good quality meat and seafood......indulge in those and lots of salad and you certainly won't go hungry.
When I was feeling naughty I did indulge in a slice of Key Lime Pie.....being too saintly never suited me :lol:...... but I tried to walk it off afterwards and trust me in Disney, you'll walk miles in a day.
Enjoy your trip and don't miss the Disney fireworks......spectacular!

mrburden

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
We've been a lot as a family and there are many things to think about, such as the effects of heat, time differences, meal sizes and times. I get a newsletter from AllEars.net that has a special site written by a family who have done all of Disneyworld Florida with T1 diabetes. There is some very good info here:
http://allears.net/pl/diabetes.htm

they don't mention about flying though as they are in the US. But little and often is probably the best way to eat during the actual travelling.
Good luck and enjoy your trip.

mrburden

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi again,
Just thought of another little tip. Most hotels will put a fridge in your room at an extra charge, but if you tell them you need one for insulin and ice packs etc. when you either pre-book this or order it at check-in many will waive the charges (which can run into $100+ for a couple of weeks). And there's usually room for the drinks too!
Disney Resort hotels will have one in your room almost as fast as you can find the room after checking in. :D

bellapodus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ah thank you for the advice people. I am most certainly looking forward to it!
I am staying at the Contemporary Resort (the one with the monorail) and so should have a fridge where I can store stuff. Anyone else been in that one?

mrburden

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi again,
We've not stayed there but we nave eaten in the "Chef Mickey" at the Contemporary. We always do a character "All-You-Can-Eat" buffet at least once there during a stay, and believe me, it is outstandingly good! :D
The diabetes does need to be watched after that though, so we usually make a reservation to coincide with the late night opening at the Magic Kingdom. That way after the huge meal we have a late night with plenty of walking before going to bed, allowing time for the food to be worked off and a more accurate blood glucose reading before sleeping.
If you do this meal, don't be pushed out after the first time you've seen the characters! The yanks seem to leave quite quickly but you can stay for as long as you like, even if the server brings the bill to your table.
I don't want to ramble on but I can recommend plenty of other great eating spots if you like!