Washing before a blood test on fingers

vic hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
morning all
just like to say yesterday was an off day bloods done in morning before breakfast 8.7 30 g carb 2.1 units insulin
next time tome for what ever reason it had gone to 20.00 o dear change needle 5 units of insulin by syringe plus pump 3 units
only came down to 5.6 at tea time
then check again after tea 19.00 sugar 3 units of insulin to cover then did not feel correct wash hand s done seconds later 3.5 opps what a WALLEY carb to correct
all good have a good xmas all
vic

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@vic hill Yes, it's surprising how a tiny speck of something on your hands can affect readings.

Merry Christmas to you too. :)

NinaB73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I actually had that happen too, a BG of 25, I had just had a hypo and been eating jelly babies, thought that was some recovery!! Couldn't actually believe the extent of it!!! I always wash hands now, never used to, I wonder how many false readings I've had over the years!
Merry Christmas too!

DavyG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
all vegetables except potatoes and beans
I'm probably a little over cautious, I use an anti bacterial liquid soap then rinse until I cannot smell any soap fragrance, then dry my hands with paper towel (kitchen roll) so there is no chance of contamination from a towel affecting my reading. I know there is always a risk of a false reading but I'm trying to be as accurate as possible. I think in the early stages of newly diagnosed, monitoring everything and finding trigger foods for each person will lead to a more stable BG

vic hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
o well not the only time i expect will happen again do now take some wipes in the car just in case .
keep well dont forget to TAKE extra insulin to cover for any extra goodies over xmas
but do enjoy xmas only a couple of days walk is good to getting sugars down after that xmas dinner
thank you all for input
vic start my 60 YEARS NEXT YEAR onwards and upwards oh oh oh oh