Wasted time at hospital

deb1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorant, homophobic, racist people
I took my 84 year old mum into hospital today for her to have stents fitted. She has had angina for many years and had a heart attack 16 months ago. When I originally took her for her previous op assessment the nurse said that she would definitely be out on the same day as her procedure. She is diabetic although she will insist that she's only a "bit" diabetic! She was told not to eat after 6 am and had to be there by 10.45 we sat there for 4 and a half hours and then told to go home as her op had been cancelled. She was in tears as she had obviously geared herself up for the op even though she was frightened of having another heart attack. We finally found somewhere to eat and drink but it was a choice of subway or a hospital cafe serving chips with everything fish, pies and pasties. I'd left home to pick her up at 9am and finally got home at 5.30. We will have to the same again on the 9th of March , fingers crossed she actually gets the surgery then.

Reactions: Lorraine deer

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
I took my 84 year old mum into hospital today for her to have stents fitted. She has had angina for many years and had a heart attack 16 months ago. When I originally took her for her previous op assessment the nurse said that she would definitely be out on the same day as her procedure. She is diabetic although she will insist that she's only a "bit" diabetic! She was told not to eat after 6 am and had to be there by 10.45 we sat there for 4 and a half hours and then told to go home as her op had been cancelled. She was in tears as she had obviously geared herself up for the op even though she was frightened of having another heart attack. We finally found somewhere to eat and drink but it was a choice of subway or a hospital cafe serving chips with everything fish, pies and pasties. I'd left home to pick her up at 9am and finally got home at 5.30. We will have to the same again on the 9th of March , fingers crossed she actually gets the surgery then.

Infuriating ! Poor mum. Just wanted to express my sympathy.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
It is disgusting. The medical peeps tell us to eat a healthy diet (Well what they call healthy) Then offer a diabetic or a heart patient puddings chips and pies etc. How the hell can they preach to people then offer food like this? I noticed on the Diabetics Uk website on the front page Pancakes for pancake day..What are they trying to do to us?

Kittycat_7_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm so sorry, hope the op goes okay. It's terrible she was cancelled.
Should be more choice of foods for diabetics in hospitals.
Take care

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Some of the restaurants in Hospitals in Bangkok McDonalds (That well known Diabetic and Healthy Eating Dinner we all know and Love. ) S&P a Thai chain that offers sandwiches and jellies and sugary snacks as well as Frozen meals. not as well known world wide as Macs but in Thailand maybe more so. Mezzo Coffee shop sell salads and sandwiches cake etc. not as bad as the others but not good and Au Bon Pain another Diabetic friendly Chain who Serve a vegetable Soup in a hollowed out loaf of bread when I asked if the soup had sugar in it they did not know .and finally the Hospital Café which serves mainly Thai food and do not label anything s suitable for Diabetics or any other Illness/diet.
Now this is Down to Hospital Management an example is when I first arrived I went to what was probably the most expensive hospital in Bangkok and went to the Hospitals own Restaurant and had a coffee and was presented with a bowl of sugar asked for a sweetener rcvd blank looks said Equals and was told they do not have. completed a form on the table asking for my views on there establishment I complained that a hospital did not cater for Diabetics who had a sweet tooth when I returned two days later they Had Equals. a minor victory maybe.
My Doctor for Diabetes tells me she has mentioned this problem several times and nothing gets done. a case of the tail wagging the Dog ?

deb1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorant, homophobic, racist people
I did manage to get salads at subway but they really weren't nice and we didn't eat them. The good news though was that you could make it a meal deal and get a drink and crisps or a cookie! Shame they couldn't offer a piece of fruit instead and it was 30 pence extra to have the sandwich filling in a salad!

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was in hospital overnight last week I was given a choice of sweet and sour chicken and rice or chicken salad - guess which one I had! I also ordered roast lamb fo4 lunch and a salmon salad for the next occupant - hope they enjoyed it!

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This needs to be taken notice of by food chains and especially in hospitals. Gluten free is much more mainstream now and I would hazzard a guess there are more Diabetics. Pressure from people in the media always helps. There are lots of high profile diabetics who could use their fame to promote this.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Meant to say hope your mum is ok today and her next appointment is more successful. I had a lot of hospital visits with my late Mum and it is such a big thing in their life they focus on nothing else. Big hugs.