We ARE all different ?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Folks.
I had this sent to me this morning. I was asked to comment on it on the forum. I have an idea where it came from and wouldn't normally comment but quite frankly I laughed at this post from elsewhere until I realised that the person who posted this is advising other Diabetic's. So lets look at it shall we ?

Entitled: We are all different ?

So often when looking around diabetes forums I see comments such as "we are all different, or there is no one size fits all". In my opinion that's a cop out.
What's so wrong with those comments. Why is it in the words of the poster, "a cop out ?" We ARE all different. Walk down any street and you see a multitude of different sized, different shaped, different height, different widths people from all sections of the Community. Certainly in those cases...there is definitely 'no one size fits all !' Imagine everybody trying to fit into the same size clothes !! Obviously this person really means in Diabetic terms. Well, even Diabetic's come in all shapes and sizes. Hasn't the poster noticed. Some Diabetic's are T1, some T2 and all the other shades of Diabetes. Their metabolism works in similar but quite often different ways. So I don't quite understand the problem over the statements " we are all different" and "there is no one size fits all" Maybe I'm missing something here..

All type two diabetics on none or minimal meds, need to cut the carbs big time, and that's a fact.
A FACT. Really, who says so ? I agree that SOME may need to reduce carbohydrates to achieve better control, but ALL type 2 Diabetic's on none or minimal meds ? Surely not. That's a sweeping statement if ever I heard one, and with no basis in fact. Just a hypothesis, nothing proven, nothing factual. We have members on here who achieve excellent Bg control without 'cutting carbs big time.' Each and every one of them IS different though.

For type one's the less the carbs. the less the insulin and the greater the control. Low GI, portion control, you name it, but the fact is, all carbs. turn to sugar, and sugar is the last thing a diabetic needs.

Again, we have many Type 1's who have excellent control without worrying about carbs, without worrying about Insulin. Cut the carbs, cut the Insulin, everything is perfect. It's not quite as simple as that.Oh, and yes I think most Diabetic's know what sugars or carbs do to their Bg levels, at least the ones on this forum do. Some need to take the Insulin because of other medical conditions which affect their Bg levels. They don't have any choice in what they do. SOME reduce carbs and Insulin but each and every one of them IS very different.

Does an alcoholic get treated with more booze, or a drug addict with more heroin, no way. How can a diabetic be told to eat starchy carbs. with every meal, only a lunatic would advise that route.

All very profound, all very wrong. The advice given out to Diabetic's by the NHS and DUK is flawed, it needs to address other things. I too go along with the reduction of carbohydrates CAN mean better control for SOME Diabetic's. Now, as we ARE all different it doesn't mean ALL of us need to reduce carbs to the levels advocated by some. I can eat starchy carbs if I wish to, I control portion sizes just so that I can eat some of the things that others think are poison. I can eat more than some other Diabetic's I know. So telling somebody to eat some more starchy carbs might, because of some medical condition, something in their particular make up MIGHT be the right thing to do.

You see we are all different AND one size doesn't fit all ! Maybe I'm a lunatic. Looks like I'm in good company
:lol:

Just a thought....... :wink: Any comments ?

C

catherinecherub

The trouble is that the person who posted this on another forum thinks that he knows a lot about diabetes and is in a position to advise other diabetics. I am so glad I do not have to rely on people like him to help me out. He has a very blinkered view of diabetes. We can only hope to become experts in our own management because we are all different.

Suggestions, opinions and support are all we can hope to give anyone else who needs encouragement. I cannot tell you that my diet will work for you and you cannot tell me that your diet will work for me. It is finding the right balance for the individual. Listen to your own body and
don't be swayed by people who think they know it all. We are all on a learning curve as we never know if a problem may crop up.

As for medication for type 2's, some will always need it. It is not something to be ashamed of, it is part of your management. Don't ever feel inadequate because you need some help from medication and don't ever feel you have to be categorised for doing so.

This man used to post here but I think he got banned? He will not have any differing opinions where he posts now so he can say all that he wants to there, right or wrong. He is forever quoting posts from this forum on his new found home and pulling them to bits because they do not conform for his fanatical view about diabetes managment.
I subscribe to the fact that we are all different and a biased individual will not change my mind.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
This forum is for ALL diabetics and yes, we are all different !! You only have to read the many and varied posts about the many and varied problems we each have, to realise that.

If it was as simple as ‘one size fits all’ then the blanket advice from the NHS and DUK would be helping all of us control our diabetes. The fact that it doesn’t, in almost all cases, points to us all being different in the way that we metabolise carbs.

We all need to reduce carbs but some can achieve good control on higher levels than others, again a biological fact !

This forum is proud of the fact that we cater for all diabetics of all types, of all diets and of all opinions.

We celebrate the fact that you are all different because it is those differences that spark debate and, in doing so, make learning about diabetes an ever evolving education.

Knowledge is the key to control. Self empowerment through that knowledge makes us better at managing our diabetes and tailoring it to our lifestyles rather than blanket information and no choices.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
of course we are all different, even someone else with the same illnesses as me is different, everyone has a slightly different metabolic rate etc etc,
even identical twins are different :D

Fujifilm

I am not different I am special :lol: :lol:

If only we were all the same, how good would that be. Hello Doc "I think I am diabetic", no worries take this tablet twice a day, eat a bananna and your life will be the same as before.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Well the person sounds like a self-opinionated prat!

Of course we are all different, what suits one may not suit another. Although I agree that cutting back carbs can, and does reduce bg levels, there are many who do not follow such diets and are equally successful in achieving good control. I choose to reduce my carbs to improve control and lose some weight, I eat between 100-130g of carbs daily, eating bread, cerial and some potatoes. It is more about portion control and eating foods with a low-gi value.

When I cut back my carbs originally to 50-60g of carbs, my insulin reduced by only a third, I was quite surprised how much insulin I still needed. I admire and respect those that can cut out all carbs from their diet, but frankly I have no desire to do so. Food is to be enjoyed, one of life's luxuries, moderation is the key to all round good health.

Regards

Nigel

ham79

Dislikes
diabetes and cbeebies
glad I don't live in his world.
I'd love him to walk a mile in my shoes as we're all the same.
Sounds like medical fascism

C

catherinecherub

I think the bottom line is that he is a person who craves attention. He does not care how he gets it and who he upsets in the process and as long as he has his little gang of "yes" men around him he feels safe and secure. He also cannot understand that other people can think for themselves and do not need his limited knowledge to help them make bad decisions about a serious health issue.

This forum he now belongs to has backfired on him because there is no-one to debate the issues he puts forward. He cannot get a debate going because there is nothing to debate, everyone is in agreement with him. He is getting praise there all the time but he needs more activity. He likes to upset others who do not agree with him and he cannot do that there. Sad or what :roll: :roll:

We ARE all different and I thank God for that. It is like him saying that all cars on the road are blue and they are all Fords. Doh........no they aren't.

This discussion is pleasing him because, although he cannot come here and contribute, he is getting the attention he craves.

PatrickSutton

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Burnt cheese, crispy bacon, avocados
We are all different, and saying so is not a cop-out, it is a fact. For some of us, making radical changes to our lifestyle by adopting a much more sensible diet, losing weight, taking daily exercise and using metformin as prescribed are sufficient to bring our diabetes under control. Regular testing of my blood glucose has confirmed that I can tolerate foods such as bread and pasta (and have Weetabix for breakfast!), and I still get good HbA1c values. It is the portion control and the responsible attitude that make the difference.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi all,

Now I get it!

Just read this post on another forum, I didn't know who everyone was refering to. It would seem by the replies to his post on the other forum that his view is not universal, just one reply! :lol:

Nigel

jopar

The ‘Cop Out’ is actually following any regime dogmatically in the blind believe it is the only correct way of treating diabetes, this is detrimental to any diabetic welfare and anybody who is promoting this theory is doing a disservice to all diabetics..

By promoting only one dogma or ideology is in truth preventing the diabetic from being able to ‘self manage’ there own condition. Because of the diversity of the individual means that we need all facts, information and knowledge so that we can successfully manage our own condition that creates good control, but maintains our own identity..

As diabetics most of us will have to change certain aspects of our lifestyles, most of us will have to make changes in our diets from little tweaks to major changes, but changes we need to make will be dependant on many factors, some will be dependant on what type of diabetes that we have, there will be some that may require the need to lose some weight etc… for others it could be finding the right type or level of medication thats required to match our needs..

I would agree that carbohydrates is probably one of the biggest kingpins that we have in our tool kit when it comes to control, so it is very important that we know all we can about these and how they may effect us, not just how to avoid them as for some of us, avoidance may not be necessary, but we all do need to know how they interact, probably out comes… So that we can determine what is our individual way forward that suits us as an individual, and meets our aims and objectives…

Another problem with diabetes is it’s ever changing due to the many factors that can affect its control leaving us requiring different tactics and methods at different times to maintain our control.

We need to be promoting ‘self management’ not one dogma or ideology but a method where individuals are encouraged to look at the options available, not plonk for the one that seems to promise the earth, but take from each the parts that they require to suit them so they end up with a achievable, maintainable long term good control, which they know how to tweak when the occasion needs…

As to the author of the cop out comment, well it seems that he has little to offer the diabetic community. But it is up to the individual to how much if any credence they give.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
jopar said:
Another problem with diabetes is it’s ever changing due to the many factors that can affect its control leaving us requiring different tactics and methods at different times to maintain our control.

That's so true Jopar.
Some time back, I think it was November 11th I stated, to another poster....
"I would love a hunk of crusty bread, pasta, rice.....sadly, they are things of the past now."

At that time it was very true. As I had lost over 5 stone since January and my Bg numbers were all 98% on target I began to wonder if maybe I could try out some of these things, see if I was able to eat them after all.

So I started trying out these things and tested frequently. Well, was I pleasantly surprised when I
that all my Bg readings were unaffected by those previously banned foods from my diet. Such joy !

This meant that on November 25th, 2 weeks later after my intensive testing started I was able to truthfully state to another poster here,
"I'm with Sam on this one. I'm a meat eater and I also love cheese. I also manage a couple of slices of crusty white bread with NO ill effects at all, maybe that's just me....maybe it's because I lost so much weight and had great control of Bg numbers."

As for the meat and cheese, everything in moderation, small amounts are no problem, hence my Cholesterol level of 3.2. :D Remaining static.

It just goes to show that sometimes you have to give things up first in order to later on enjoy them when you have got everything under control and lost so much weight. It pays to experiment a little, you might be surprised what you might be able to eat !

I thought I would clarify this in case anybody thought I was blowing with the wind....so to speak.
People need to know..... :wink:

gbswales

Re: We ARE all different ? - but danger for newbies!

Yes we are all different and despite what many dieticians at the hospital tell me there is no single panacea diet or means of control. A good clinic will explore all options and try to help people find a regime that suits their life and maybe to make modest changes to lifestyle. This is how it should happen but of course reality is different

However someone coming to a forum like this is often looking for a "quick fix" to "get back to normal" and so may sieze on something which has been successful for one member but which may do them no good at all. The other thing people need to remember is that some will exagerate success to boost their own will power. Certainly this is how I came to the forum and it took me about 6 months to find its effectiveness. This is reading a large cross section of posts (often contradicting one another) to try and work out a balance that suits me - I then share that information with other people. However it is in my view quite wrong to claim to be an authority no matter how good your own control may be. I always prefer the "its worked for me and may work for others" type of poster.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hello gbwales,

Well said! You have said in two short paragraphs what the majority of us feel on this forum. :)

Nigel