Weight gain help !!!

freelance52

Hi.
I'm into week 4 of this low carb lifestyle. Started on 20gms carbs for 2 weeks, bought the books and the ketone uristicks and found my rate of ketone production was quite low, but lost almost 8lbs and BS really improved. Week 3 raised my carbs to 25gms - lost just over 1lb. Now, still at 25gms, I seem to have GAINED nearly 2lbs!! I'm eating mainly bacon, eggs, cheese, chicken, salmon, tuna, lettuce, cauliflower, nuts (macadamia - unsalted), sugar-free jelly, fresh cream and trying to drink at least 2lts per day.
Is weight gain normal at this stage?
Is there something else I should be doing?
Should I be counting calories as well?
Should I cut back on the nuts and fresh cream?
Now that my BS are reliably 7-8 should I cut back/out the meds? I take glicaprimide 4mgs and pioglitazone 45mgs.
Any help would be much appreciated as I really do want to lose this excess weight (around 6 stones) and get my BS under control and get fitter (back to swimming this week: 3 times so far.).
Thanks.

freelance52

Hi.
I don't understand why this post was moved from the low carb discussions to the weight loss forum as I wanted to seek help about low carb eating. I think the punctuation in the heading has also been altered so that it now reads as though I am wanting help about how to gain weight when that could not be further from the truth.
I really need to hear from people who have lost weight on this low carb regime as to whether they went through a phase of weight gain early in the diet process.
A friend of mine (also T2) has been on insulin for a few years now and has gained 5 stones! She has been put forward by her practice nurse to have gastric surgry. I really do not want to go down that road so I am desperate to lose my excess weight (around 6 stones). I really need the support of people who have 'been there, done it and got the (smaller sized) T-shirt'!
Thanks.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds to me like you are just ULTRA sensitive to carbs.

Try cutting 'em out altogether. Increasing your fat (good fat) intake can help with losing weight. Bacon and egg for breakfast, chicken breast with creamy sauce for lunch, beef/pork with green veggies for supper. Nuts/cheese if you are hungry between meals.

Try eating high fat, lo-carb meals. See how you get on. Good luck!

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
"freelance52"
I don't understand why this post was moved from the low carb discussions to the weight loss forum as I wanted to seek help about low carb eating. I think the punctuation in the heading has also been altered so that it now reads as though I am wanting help about how to gain weight when that could not be further from the truth.

First of all........The heading was only changed from capitals to lower case as that method of heading is reserved for posts made by a Monitor or Moderator, or information Topic's. No punctuation was changed.

Secondly..........If you needed to question the decision to move your post then you should have asked a Monitor who is the person who speaks to Moderator's and Members alike. No communication is allowed with Moderator's.

Having discussed this further with the Moderator concerned we are satisfied that the post can now be moved back to the Low Carb Diabetes area.

cugila
Forum Monitor

freelance52

Hi cugila
Sorry if I offended.
Just didn't know the protocol here.
Seems like everything is just a learning curve.
I'll just quietly crawl back under my stone.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
That's OK....no problems. Even some of our established Member's don't seem to know the rules.
As for the stone........I'm not moving over for anybody !! :wink:

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh kennyjovy if only it was so easy .
There is a limit to the amount of food that you can physicaly eat :!:
Also not all of us can use a gym and even though I personally exercise as much as possible it is not easy to make muscle. For DBs who need to eat fewer carbs to keep BGs under control it is a very difficult balancing act.
CAROL

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Sorry Carol.

The post you replied to was a spammer who has been banned. Missed this one as only popping in from time to time at the moment.

Ken

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Ken thats the second time you have had to rescue me from a spammer :shock: Keep up the good work
CAROL

charliesrp

I am trying to lose weight before the holidays so that I can look my best when I visit my relatives. These tips are sure to come in hand.

janachen

you need to consume more calories every day be carefull not to over due it, when you up your calories make sure that you are still eating good calories and not McDonalds. These good calories will help you will drive muscle growth, muscle growth will build fat and there is no way to avoid that. Be sure that you also increase your protine intake to about 1.5g per pound of body weight. After you make your gains you are going to have to cut that fat that you built up.

sugar2

Hi. I am not following a particularly low carb diet....but just wanted to say that a gain of 2lb, after a really fantastic loss, may not be anything to worry about. Sure, if you keep gaing over the coming weeks, the you do need to have a look at things, but I know from my own weight loss attempts that a steady weight loss is achievable, but there are always a few bumps in teh road. If you are female, this can be due to monthly cycles etc.
Best of luck!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I've been losing weight for 3 years. It has slowed right down now and I get frequent "bounces" They can only be due to fluid, but are very disappointing.
Hana

cugila

Master
Dislikes
hanadr said:
I've been losing weight for 3 years. It has slowed right down now and I get frequent "bounces" They can only be due to fluid, but are very disappointing.
Hana

Hana.
I am surprised that you are having a problem as I thought you were like me 'reduced carbs' ? I have managed to lose much weight and keep it off mostly by that method, however I know we differ on the amount of fat consumption. Do you know if this has any bearing on it it all ?

Another thing is that if you are having a problem with fluid retention maybe you should see your GP and discuss as that can be symptomatic of other problems. My CV problems came about because of high blood pressure and fluid retention........ :(

Buck

use high calories food like banana meat and with salad have normal exercise daily its make you harder and you gain your weight.

jaykay

There's a product made by Linwoods, available in supermarkets that I use which may help. I'm at work and the stuff is at home or I'd give you the name of it but it's something like, flax seeds, sunflower seeds, sesame and goji berries milled quite finely. I use it instead of granola on my breakfast as it fills me up nicely and is low carb (ish) but I also used it the other day as a thickener in soup. It tastes vaguely nutty but not of very much at all and the texture is fairly easy on the palate. It is high in 'good' fats ( something like 43 % ) and classifys itself as a 'superfood' as it has lots of vitamins and stuff :D You can sprinkle it on anything and everything!

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Jaykay, when you get home would you mind posting the name of this product here as it sounds very interesting :) Can you get it off the internet? (as I don't live in the UK). I'd like to put it in my low carb breakfast muesli.

jaykay

Hey Daisy :) Here you go :
Linwoods flax, sunflower, pumpkin,sesame seeds and goji berries.

Per 100g :
Protein : 20.5g
Carbs 7.8g
Fats 44.6g ( saturates 5.7g )
Contains Omega 3, Omega 6 and Omega 9.

the website is just Linwoods.co.uk. ( sorry if that's not allowed mods )