Weight gain when starting insulin

AnnJohnston

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is my first time posting about this. I'm fairly new to the forums. My weight loss had been fairly slow but it was coming off. Been on insulin a week and I've gained 6lbs! My nurse did say I may gain weight as my body will start absorbing glucose again but didn't expect this big a gain not been to gym either though as scared of taking a hypo until I get my insulin levels sorted. Do any of you follow low carb while on insulin?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Prem51

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is my first time posting about this. I'm fairly new to the forums. My weight loss had been fairly slow but it was coming off. Been on insulin a week and I've gained 6lbs! My nurse did say I may gain weight as my body will start absorbing glucose again but didn't expect this big a gain not been to gym either though as scared of taking a hypo until I get my insulin levels sorted. Do any of you follow low carb while on insulin?
Did you have really high BG prior to starting on insulin? If so, the below may apply.

When the body runs with high glucose due to insufficient insulin production/ability to use the insulin - the glucose is excreted from the body in your urine, taking lots of fluids with it. Because the body cannot utilise the glucose for energy, you may burn some fat (as an alternative energy source) also.

You've not really put on 6lb; you've just replaced what was there initially.

There are many insulin dependent diabetics who follow LCHF with great results. Some T2's even manage to stop using insulin altogether.

Reactions: AnnJohnston

AnnJohnston

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for the advice. My numbers were very high plus I've been eating more carbs than normal so I can get my insulin dose right.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for the advice. My numbers were very high plus I've been eating more carbs than normal so I can get my insulin dose right.
What insulin(s) are you using?

You're more likely to get your insulin dose right if you reduce your carb intake. That's not to say that you need to cut out all carbs completely, but reducing the amount you eat to a moderate level with both help with overall BG numbers and your ability judge how much you need to inject.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What sort of support do you have available from your diabetes team, @AnnJohnston ? When do you next talk to them? I always feel a bit uncomfortable to hear of anyone eating up to match their medication. To be fair though, your adoption of insulin is in it's very early days, so it's fair to expect there's likely to be a period of changing doses and so on to get the balance right.

When you say you're eating lots to balance the insulin, how low are you going before you feed the insulin?

I'm not on insulin, so I'm asking those questions, trying to be helpful to those who may have a deeper understanding than me.

I think you need to talk to your team.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am type 1 as of 2 years ago at 50 years old. I eat vlc and follow the Bernstein solution of laws of small numbers. His theory ( and works beautifully for me) is low carb, small meals equals lower insulin doses and less chance of error.

When I first started insulin I had very high numbers as well and was told to eat 20 carbs per meal ( which is more than I ate in a day prior) and I gained my 20 pounds back in two months. I did need to gain that weight but not more. Then I cut carbs back as well as my insulin needs and I stopped gaining. While eating carbs I could not match my food to insulin so I was either eating to feed a hypo or taking more insulin to correct. Following Bernstein sorted that all out. I didn't care for lows and feeding insulin. As @AndBreathe said, you are new and this takes time and trial and error. Keep testing and keep a journal to see which foods spike you.

That being said, there are many type 1's that eat carbs. We all have different goals and different management practices/ techniques. We are all different. I would talk to your team as well. What is your insulin regimine?

AnnJohnston

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What insulin(s) are you using?

You're more likely to get your insulin dose right if you reduce your carb intake. That's not to say that you need to cut out all carbs completely, but reducing the amount you eat to a moderate level with both help with overall BG numbers and your ability judge how much you need to inject.

I'm using humalog and lantus. I was eating almost carb free so although I'm eating carbs again I would still say I'm low carb and I aim for under 120gms per day when I can. I am worried about hypos if I take insulin without any carbs but I'm sure that fear will ease, I've only been on insulin a week and still getting used to it.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm using humalog and lantus. I was eating almost carb free so although I'm eating carbs again I would still say I'm low carb and I aim for under 120gms per day when I can. I am worried about hypos if I take insulin without any carbs but I'm sure that fear will ease, I've only been on insulin a week and still getting used to it.

If you're on set doses of insulin do NOT reduce your carbs without checking with your DSN or doctor.

If you're counting carbs and adjusting your Indulin to match with confidence, then you may be ok but I would still check as you're very new to insulin.

AnnJohnston

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What sort of support do you have available from your diabetes team, @AnnJohnston ? When do you next talk to them? I always feel a bit uncomfortable to hear of anyone eating up to match their medication. To be fair though, your adoption of insulin is in it's very early days, so it's fair to expect there's likely to be a period of changing doses and so on to get the balance right.

When you say you're eating lots to balance the insulin, how low are you going before you feed the insulin?

I'm not on insulin, so I'm asking those questions, trying to be helpful to those who may have a deeper understanding than me.

I think you need to talk to your team.

I spoke to my nurse twice this week and I'm going to see her on Tuesday. She's been really good and I email her all the time as well lol. She suggested reducing amount of insulin to reduce hypo risk and has also stopped my gliclazide. I'm worried about hypo's if I take insulin without carbs but as I said to Grant I'm sure that fear will ease as I get used to the insulin and learn more about how it works for me. Its a big learning curve but I've started reading up on carb counting so hopefully I reduce my carb intake and correctly identify how much insulin I need for the carbs I do have and avoid further hypos.

Reactions: BeccyB

AnnJohnston

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am type 1 as of 2 years ago at 50 years old. I eat vlc and follow the Bernstein solution of laws of small numbers. His theory ( and works beautifully for me) is low carb, small meals equals lower insulin doses and less chance of error.

When I first started insulin I had very high numbers as well and was told to eat 20 carbs per meal ( which is more than I ate in a day prior) and I gained my 20 pounds back in two months. I did need to gain that weight but not more. Then I cut carbs back as well as my insulin needs and I stopped gaining. While eating carbs I could not match my food to insulin so I was either eating to feed a hypo or taking more insulin to correct. Following Bernstein sorted that all out. I didn't care for lows and feeding insulin. As @AndBreathe said, you are new and this takes time and trial and error. Keep testing and keep a journal to see which foods spike you.

That being said, there are many type 1's that eat carbs. We all have different goals and different management practices/ techniques. We are all different. I would talk to your team as well. What is your insulin regimine?

At the moment i'm on 3 doses of humalog during the day with meals and 1 of lantus at night. I was given starting doses and I'm still working out if they're too high/too low. I'm keeping a track of both food and insulin. I started reading a bit about carb counting and I've got an appointment with nurse on Tuesday and I'll ask more then. Big learning curve but I'll get there.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Timing of your boluses makes a big difference too. @azure is great explaining this. 120 g of carbs would be a ton for me as I eat under 20 but @azure eats closer to you so she could help give you some ideas.

AnnJohnston

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you're on set doses of insulin do NOT reduce your carbs without checking with your DSN or doctor.

If you're counting carbs and adjusting your Indulin to match with confidence, then you may be ok but I would still check as you're very new to insulin.

I was given set doses to start with which is why she asked me to have a small amount of carbs with each meal if I can. I've only just started reading into carb counting so wouldn't say I'm matching it yet but I'm in regular contact with my nurse, checking my blood sugars before and after every meal. I definitely want to learn to carb count as not happy with such a big weight gain so would prefer to reduce carbs but without risk of hypo.

Reactions: azure

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It is a big learning curve and you will get there. When I first started they gave me a sliding scale. As in how much to take based on where my bs was at the time. They also told me 20 carbs per meal. They also told me after my bs came down and settled down I would need less insulin but had me work out those details on my own. I now eat pretty much the same macros at every meal and know my boluses. Many people would find this boring but I do just fine with it. It's easier for me to be on autopilot than trying to figure everything out when I'm putting a meal together. I follow bernsteins laws of small numbers. Small low carb meals equals lower insulin and less risk of error. 2 oz protein, 5 g veggie carbs, a hunk of avocado and some mayo or olive oil. That's it! Lol. Well, a few nuts or pumpkin seeds as snacks

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was given set doses to start with which is why she asked me to have a small amount of carbs with each meal if I can. I've only just started reading into carb counting so wouldn't say I'm matching it yet but I'm in regular contact with my nurse, checking my blood sugars before and after every meal. I definitely want to learn to carb count as not happy with such a big weight gain so would prefer to reduce carbs but without risk of hypo.

Sounds sensible :) I'd give yourself a little longer to get used to using insulin and then see if you can get some help with carb counting. All the data you gather - your blood sugar, what you've eaten, etc - will be really useful.

In the long run, ideally you'd be able to match your insulin to your chosen diet and carb level not the other way round :)