Weight gain

Pinktongue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I started on basal bolus insulin last week after being on novomix for 12 years and I'm eating the same as always but I've gained half a stone in a week, is this a common thing?? I'm type 1 and if this is what happens with this insulin then I'm going straight back to my old one

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

1rnold

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi pinktogue can I ask was novomix an mixed insulin ? I was interested as I am on a mixed insulin twice daily and my endcrologist said I need to go on to a basal bolus if I wanted to carb count. I am trying to lose weight as well hence like you I would hate it if it means weight gain. Thanks

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Half a stone in a week sounds like a lot. Had you lost weight before diagnosis? I've no experience of mixed insulin, do you have to eat a set number of carbs with that or do you carb count?

1rnold

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi I don't have to eat a set number of carbs, they told me to use plate method having quarter carbs quarter protein rest vegetables- I take 18 units of mixed insulin twice per a day. I was interested in carb counting as I thought it may help weight loss but was told I would need to change to a basal bolus insulin however I don't want to gain weight as I have managed to lose over half stone since I was diagnosed in May 2016.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Is the plate method much different to what you are when you were reducing weight?

Pinktongue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just to update the weight has gone must have been water weight after a night of heavy drinking lol

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It's never the insulin that directly makes you gain weight but the carbs that the insulin enables the body to burn or store. Basal/Bolus with carb-counting may make you gain weight more than with mixed insulin as it will be providing the body with insulin more often to use the carbs. The solution to weight gain as usual is to keep the carbs down. BTW Basal/Bolus is the best insulin regime to control blood sugar throughout the day but does need more injections than mixed. NICE now recommends that all T1s should be on it.