Weight gain

diabeticnewby

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all I need some help. I've lost over 6 stone prior and through my diagnosis. I've been type 2 for 2 years. This week I was put on Levemir as my morning sugars are between 10 and 14. In the day they range between 6 and 8 after meals. Prior to going on insulin I was on metformin SR and victoza. I am still taking these now along with levemir. Dr has told me to start on 10 units and increase by 3 units till I get to a 7 or under in morning. I'm just worried about putting on weight that I've lost. Also dr said why I don't or have little carbs? I advised because I'm to scared to feel horrible when having them so pretty much cut them out on meals. Please can anyone advise me what is best? I really I'm not sure.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all I need some help. I've lost over 6 stone prior and through my diagnosis. I've been type 2 for 2 years. This week I was put on Levemir as my morning sugars are between 10 and 14. In the day they range between 6 and 8 after meals. Prior to going on insulin I was on metformin SR and victoza. I am still taking these now along with levemir. Dr has told me to start on 10 units and increase by 3 units till I get to a 7 or under in morning. I'm just worried about putting on weight that I've lost. Also dr said why I don't or have little carbs? I advised because I'm to scared to feel horrible when having them so pretty much cut them out on meals. Please can anyone advise me what is best? I really I'm not sure.

Congratulations on the weight loss :) how did you achieve that ? have you got much further to go?

If carbs make you feel horrible, then that would seem to be a pretty good reason to not eat them. Carbs are not essential . Have you had full tests to show how much insulin you are producing yourself so you know what your dosages are adding to ?

Reactions: SimonCrox

diabeticnewby

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for reply. I'm not sure. At first they thought I was lada. But def type2. I will have to find out. I did it on weight watchers then saved my money and put what I would spend on it in a jar. Mainly walking and gym. Just worried as I know i will put on the weight again:( with insulin.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for reply. I'm not sure. At first they thought I was lada. But def type2. I will have to find out. I did it on weight watchers then saved my money and put what I would spend on it in a jar. Mainly walking and gym. Just worried as I know i will put on the weight again:( with insulin.

The reason I ask, is that many of the standard diets focus heavily on low calorie, low fat. These do work to lose weight but because many of them still include a lot of processed foods and carbohydrates , they do not actually help you to control glucose as easily as switching to a different diet would.

If you check out the low carb diet on here ( or at dietdoctor,com) you may find that by switching to a diet made of these foods, you do not need the insulin in the first place. Many of us don't. When you first read about these diets which are all about getting enough fat, and stopping carbohydrates, instead of trying to stop eating fats at all, it will seem strange and a recipe for disaster in terms of weight, however I and thousands of others who have been through the process can confirm that keeping weight down and even losing a lot more weight is perfectly possible on these diets and instead of having glucose in the teens they may quickly come down into normal numbers.
@daisy1 will be along to supply more details for you shortly.

Reactions: diabeticnewby

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi @diabeticnewby
Well done on your weight loss.
I am curious as to what is causing your high bgs when you don't eat carbs?
Is it protein? It's worth investigating where your high bgs are coming from.
Mine is my weight. I'm still very heavily overweight and need a basal (not levermir) and I need novarapid for meal spikes as I spike even on protein. Also my team believe for nutrition I'd be better off on novarapid til after bariatric surgery.
I don't eat much but still just under 10st overweight from normal weight for my height. I'm happy to get another 5sts off as with underactive thyroid weight gains or makes weight loss at lot harder. Some have lost double my 24kg loss because they don't have underactive thyroid condition.

Are you still losing weekly pre levemir?

I'm taking toujeo300 for basal and 20, 20, 20units of novarapid or 10 for liver dump on rising if no breakfast 20, 20/30 for meals.
I'm finding I'm only losing weight if my bgs are kept below 6.0mmol/l and not needing hypo treatment filled with carbs. I use glucose tabs if I hypo or I catch it before hypoing and I eat a bit protein. Fatty protein helps me combat liver dumps if eaten before bed.
My hba1c is lower and at 48 due to being strict with liver dumps and keeping my bgs no higher than 7.8mmol/l to keep complications at bay.

You will need to see how the first few weeks pan out but if you do add any you will definitely be able to lose it again.

Keep me posted. Please.

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I put weight on initially with insulin but there are two schools of thought some say you do others say the opposite. If you stick with the weight watchers or a low carb diet there is no reason to reverse your great loss. Best of luck

diabeticnewby

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
The reason I ask, is that many of the standard diets focus heavily on low calorie, low fat. These do work to lose weight but because many of them still include a lot of processed foods and carbohydrates , they do not actually help you to control glucose as easily as switching to a different diet would.

If you check out the low carb diet on here ( or at dietdoctor,com) you may find that by switching to a diet made of these foods, you do not need the insulin in the first place. Many of us don't. When you first read about these diets which are all about getting enough fat, and stopping carbohydrates, instead of trying to stop eating fats at all, it will seem strange and a recipe for disaster in terms of weight, however I and thousands of others who have been through the process can confirm that keeping weight down and even losing a lot more weight is perfectly possible on these diets and instead of having glucose in the teens they may quickly come down into normal numbers.
@daisy1 will be along to supply more details for you shortly.
Thank u :)

diabeticnewby

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I put weight on initially with insulin but there are two schools of thought some say you do others say the opposite. If you stick with the weight watchers or a low carb diet there is no reason to reverse your great loss. Best of luck
Thank you :)

diabeticnewby

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @diabeticnewby
Well done on your weight loss.
I am curious as to what is causing your high bgs when you don't eat carbs?
Is it protein? It's worth investigating where your high bgs are coming from.
Mine is my weight. I'm still very heavily overweight and need a basal (not levermir) and I need novarapid for meal spikes as I spike even on protein. Also my team believe for nutrition I'd be better off on novarapid til after bariatric surgery.
I don't eat much but still just under 10st overweight from normal weight for my height. I'm happy to get another 5sts off as with underactive thyroid weight gains or makes weight loss at lot harder. Some have lost double my 24kg loss because they don't have underactive thyroid condition.

Are you still losing weekly pre levemir?

I'm taking toujeo300 for basal and 20, 20, 20units of novarapid or 10 for liver dump on rising if no breakfast 20, 20/30 for meals.
I'm finding I'm only losing weight if my bgs are kept below 6.0mmol/l and not needing hypo treatment filled with carbs. I use glucose tabs if I hypo or I catch it before hypoing and I eat a bit protein. Fatty protein helps me combat liver dumps if eaten before bed.
My hba1c is lower and at 48 due to being strict with liver dumps and keeping my bgs no higher than 7.8mmol/l to keep complications at bay.

You will need to see how the first few weeks pan out but if you do add any you will definitely be able to lose it again.

Keep me posted. Please.
Thank you i will. It my morning sugars that are mystery; in the middle of the day they are between 7 and 9. Then when I wake it over 10 highest 15. I have thought off what I have eaten for dinner right before. I will defiantly keep u posted. :)

Reactions: ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Thank you i will. It my morning sugars that are mystery; in the middle of the day they are between 7 and 9. Then when I wake it over 10 highest 15. I have thought off what I have eaten for dinner right before. I will defiantly keep u posted. :)
Dare I say it, you may lose weight as your bgs should be lower. I hope so. It does take a few months for your system to settle into weight loss on insulin.
Only thing it is easier to process insulin which is excessive than that for a type1. A type1 would experience easier hypos.
I hope you have been given good advice about coping with hypos. Have you had a hypo recently?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Your morning sugars should be more about the release of glucose while your fasting (sleeping). Have you heard of the dawn phenomenon (liver dump)?
Combined carbs/protein and glucose from liver etc... makes up your morning meter reading. Even for none insulin takers.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@diabeticnewby

Hello and welcome to the Forum :) Congratulations on your progress. Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions you want and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 250,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. They're all free.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hi and welcome to the forum. While I am not an insulin user, reading around the forum about this has taught me that going the low or lower carb route while on insulin means that you should do it gently and test a little more often to avoid hypos. Be a tortoise not a hare. Good luck.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If you've already been low carbing prior to insulin and are still low carbing I would not make any dietary changes. Dietary changes mean insulin changes. If you're new to this then I would continue your normal diet until you settle in

I gained my very much needed 25#'s back in two months but it stopped right where I left off. One big key for me was avoiding hypos and having to feed insulin. They told me to eat 20 c per meal ( I eat 20 day) and I was having lots of rollercoastering. I went back to my 20 per Day and bs was much flatter.

I just continue on my low carb diet and take lower insulin doses and I don't need to feed hypos. It's not insulin that causes weight gain, it's the food we eat that causes the gain. And the insulin resistance therefore needing to take more insulin.

GREAT for you on the weight loss. I'm sure you're becoming more insulin sensative along with it. BONUS

SimonCrox

Weight gain can be a problem on insulin, but levemir is the insulin with least weight gain if taken once per day in the evening; so fortunately, it would be acting when your gluocse levels are trying to go up overnight.
The metformin and victoza both ameliorate the weight gain of insulin.
That is a fantastic weight loss you have achieved, and I think your diet/exerecise regime will help to avoid the weight gain greatly.
Best wishes

diabeticnewby

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dare I say it, you may lose weight as your bgs should be lower. I hope so. It does take a few months for your system to settle into weight loss on insulin.
Only thing it is easier to process insulin which is excessive than that for a type1. A type1 would experience easier hypos.
I hope you have been given good advice about coping with hypos. Have you had a hypo recently?
Hi thank you. No not yet. Just increased my Levemir to 16 units just now. Got a dietician on Tuesday at the hospital. Thank you for your advice :)

Reactions: Seewalk

Kikeena_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was put on insulin in April and have lost weight since then. I'm not sure why - maybe I'm exercising more and eating better. I'm also on Jardiance, and one of the bonuses with that is that you loose weight.