Weight gain

Carterbpool

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all

I have been moved from novamix30 to abadasgar and nova rapid as before my blood sugars were always in the high teens.

I’ve noticed that now my bloods are nearly in the normal range below 10 I’ve started piling on the weight quite dramatically

I’ve tried just to stick with the long lasting insulin and try to eat relatively health...

Is this normal? I’m a big bloke anyway so I can’t afford to put weight on.

It’s a shame cause I feel so much better no thrush problems...but everyday I’m putting on weight...

Any advice would be great

Thanks

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

I have been moved from novamix30 to abadasgar and nova rapid as before my blood sugars were always in the high teens.

I’ve noticed that now my bloods are nearly in the normal range below 10 I’ve started piling on the weight quite dramatically

I’ve tried just to stick with the long lasting insulin and try to eat relatively health...

Is this normal? I’m a big bloke anyway so I can’t afford to put weight on.

It’s a shame cause I feel so much better no thrush problems...but everyday I’m putting on weight...

Any advice would be great

Thanks

Hi there - I know you say you're a big chap, but had you previously lost weight, without intending to? High blood sugars can sometimes cause weight loss.

I'm not a T1, so have no personal wisdom to offer you, but one comment I have seen quite often is that weight gain hapens with insulin, but my understanding is, like so many things; the devil's in the detail. When using insulin, if the dosing isn't incredibly well matched to food, it can lead to weight gain.

How comfortable do you feel about your carb counting, now you'rer having to do that bolus matching calculation?

I wonder if my colleague, @Diakat , who is T1, would have any ideas.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi @Carterbpool

Sorry to hear of your weight gain. It could be the insulin change - have you asked your doc about that?
The good news is the improved sugar levels. Are you ever going low and having lows and eating more to bring you back up?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
When your blood sugars are high you aren't using those sugars for you nourishment. Now you are having sufficient insulin to use that glucose, the glucose gets used or stored in your body as fat.
The reason T1's may experince (dramatic) weight loss is because they're starving despite eating, as without the insulin their bodies can't use the food.
So now you're using what's in your food.

Carterbpool

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Carterbpool

Sorry to hear of your weight gain. It could be the insulin change - have you asked your doc about that?
The good news is the improved sugar levels. Are you ever going low and having lows and eating more to bring you back up?

I’ve had a couple of hypos and a few jelly babies but nothing major

Carterbpool

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m conscious of what I am eating so I don’t have to take too much fast acting insulin when eating if that makes sense?

I changed my insulin and had to go and work away so not sure how I’m doing but I certainly feel better just fatter lol