Weight gain

Dell124

Hi , I would actually like to gain some weight. I'm 6 foot and barely 10 stone and look like a bean pole! Problem is whenever I eat carbs or put any weight on my levels go right up! I get fed up with porridge! I'm type 2 on metformin and alaglyptin.
Many thanks
Derek

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Porridge is generally horrible for blood sugar, so if you're sick of it, ditch it.
Just up your fat intake and you should put on weight: butter, cheese, eggs, pork chops- that sort of thing. It's good for your blood sugars, but if you eat enough, your weight should go up

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi , I would actually like to gain some weight. I'm 6 foot and barely 10 stone and look like a bean pole! Problem is whenever I eat carbs or put any weight on my levels go right up! I get fed up with porridge! I'm type 2 on metformin and alaglyptin.
Many thanks
Derek

Derek - for gaining weight, you might be better concentrating on upping your protein a bit and some additional fats? From time to time, I have to concentrate on gaining a kilo or two I happen to mislay along the way.

In those circumstances, I find myself having just a bit more meat at mealtimes, then adding, say butter to veg, or having a piece of cheese, or snacking (I rarely usually snack) on pork scratchings for the big calorie hits.

Gaining weight can take longer than losing it, if that is where your body is, so things aren't going to happen overnight. You need to be patient. Whilst adding a few extra carbs might be an attractive option, it can be tricky to manage, and initial weight gains tend to be water, which just goes again, once your dial back on the carbs again for maintenance.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Cute to have a thread on weight gain in the weight loss section!

The folks I know who are naturally built like bean poles came to accept their body shape, other than muscle gain - which is very healthy for folk generally, but particularly those with diabetes. To be lean and muscley is actually a good profile for someone with diabetes.

But yes, to put on weight but not mess with your blood sugar - by eating lots of high energy foods - as in nuts! Bliss balls made from nut butters and other yummy things. Protein drinks made with unsweetened milks or water. Lots of baked goods made with almond flour.

And then lift lots of heavy things, or actual weights.