Weight loss and insulin

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi guys

Ive been working very hard to lose weight and it is coming off...but very slowly! Does anyone know if being insulin dependent affects the rate of weight loss? In no way am I trying to blame diabetes because honestly thats what my doc does! Im just more interested as someone suggested that as im type 1 the weightloss wont be as fast.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It won't be the insulin that is affecting your weight but the amount of carbs you are eating. Insulin merely enables the body to metabolise carbs so is not the base cause. Just reduce the carbs a bit further and it should help?

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Theoretically if you are taking the correct amount of insulin for what you eat you can't lose weight if you don't take less insulin. Why not? Because if you take same insulin and eat less you'll get low and have to eat then. So it's tricky. If you are eating way too much with high sugars and eat less your control might get better, but insulin is the gateway to gaining/losing weight in Type 1.

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys

Ive been working very hard to lose weight and it is coming off...but very slowly! Does anyone know if being insulin dependent affects the rate of weight loss? In no way am I trying to blame diabetes because honestly thats what my doc does! Im just more interested as someone suggested that as im type 1 the weightloss wont be as fast.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app
Losing weight slowly is not necessarily a bad thing! A gradual path to your ideal weight means you probably have a regime that you can maintain. I have been using insulin and type 1 for about 15 months - I gained about a stone in 2 weeks it was hideous. I plateud with weight loss for a while but it has started slipping away off again now. I have mixed up my exercising and done more running - may I ask about if you are dieting or exercising as well? I don't think insulin is a barrier or hinderence to weight loss - I have met many none diabetics who struggle with weight loss plateaus. its probably another factor but diet and exercise are the big players.

Ashley13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Try lowering your carb intake thus lowering fast acting insulin. I would never recommend lowering so much that your BG run high - but if you keep your basal the same and lower your intake of carbs you should find you lose weight - and benefit from better glucose levels.

You still need to ensure you are burning more calories than you are taking in, but I've always found that I gain weight if I have a carb heavy diet, even if my cals stay the same as when I am eating low carb.

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks guys. All makes much sense! Ive lost 2 stone over 18 months and have another stone to go but it is sooo much slower. I do a good amount of walking and cut out nearl all junk food, no takeaways etc. Im probably just being impatient lol!

Reactions: Bon83

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks guys. All makes much sense! Ive lost 2 stone over 18 months and have another stone to go but it is sooo much slower. I do a good amount of walking and cut out nearl all junk food, no takeaways etc. Im probably just being impatient lol!
It sounds like you are doing really well and just hit a bit of a slow phase in weight loss - it will happen keep going and we'll done! !!!

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know whether you are on a pump or inject a basal insulin, but there are some scientific studies that have shown that Levemir promotes less weight gain than Lantus. I take Lantus and have noticed since my diagnosis that it has been harder work to stay trim but, as others have said, theoretically, if you inject the right amount for your food and have a steady basal then having T1D shouldn't make any difference.

Reactions: azure

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.

That's a great achievement! Well done! Have you had to adjust the basal now the 2 stone's dropped off?
If you look at Carbs and Cals (great app) too, it's possible to choose food that's low in calories. It's not just carbs, lots of proteins and all fats are high in calories, higher than lots of carbs.
It's all about calories in and calories out which is where increased activity helps. Moreover exercise helps to ensure the flesh that's left is quality flesh! Frustratingly, muscle weighs more than fat so it's good not to get too hung up on weight, think of cms too.