Weight loss and the immune system

C

catherinecherub

According to this article, even modest weight loss reverses many of the damaging changes often seen in the immune cells of obese people, particularly those with Type 2 diabetes.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/186062.php

Exercise has to be part of the management of Type 2 diabetes IMHO. I am not overweight but I still manage to fit in 30 minutes most days. Walking, cycling, gardening, housework, anything that gets you moving.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I just get frustrated that Ican keep the Bg numbers on target, but weight is a battle I'm not doing so well with. After losing 2 1/2 stone, I'm drifting down SO slowly it's almost imperceptible and I do MUCH more than 30 minutes exercise per day. More like an hour and a half to two hour. I walk at least 25 miles per week. then ther's gym and swimming, housework and garden.
Hana

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
hanadr said:
I just get frustrated that Ican keep the Bg numbers on target, but weight is a battle I'm not doing so well with. After losing 2 1/2 stone, I'm drifting down SO slowly it's almost imperceptible and I do MUCH more than 30 minutes exercise per day. More like an hour and a half to two hour. I walk at least 25 miles per week. then ther's gym and swimming, housework and garden.
Hana

Hi Hana :)

I was thinking about what you said and wonder if when you are actually trying to lose weight is there such a thing as having too low an intake of carbs, especially when exercising as you are. I know that there are times when my weight has stabilised and then I have a bit more to eat than I normally do and it is then the time when my weight drops again. I wonder if these occasions are when my body has been fooled into thinking that the ‘famine’ is over?! I have to watch that as I am trying to re-build muscle so need NOT to lose the weight; this is just my observations from my own struggles and I just wonder what your thoughts are on this. :?:

Sometimes I think it would be helpful if we could just pool our individual problems, stir thoroughly and then pour out the magical solution for us all! :roll: :? :)

brill

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Country & Western!
After losing 2 1/2 stone, I'm drifting down SO slowly it's almost imperceptible
Yes, same here Hana! I lost 3 stone in 6 months, since then I've struggled to get another 4 pounds off despite walking 15-20 miles (up hill half the time) a week and cutting my calories.
My only comfort is, I am changing shape to the extent that I had to buy a load of elastic to put in my waistbands to save my modesty :oops:
So... maybe weightloss isn't the be all & end all? After all, muscle weighs more than fat! :D

foxglove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders - especially the big black ones!
Hallo Hanadr, I know only too well of the frustration that you feel!
In my younger years - 50's or so - I played badminton regularly, went line dancing 2 -3 times a week, went swimming AND had an allotment, and yet it was absolutely horrendously difficult to lose weight. All my friends were amazed that I had such a problem.
Now I am disabled and can't do anything like that so I am now 2 1/2 stone heavier and on several medications.

Don't give up - you will feel so much better for losing the pounds even though it is a struggle.
All the best.

Howski

I think its worth remembering that muscle also weighs more than fat so just because you are not loosing weight does not mean that you are not loosing fat. Sometimes (myself included) people get caught up in the whole "I must loose weight" mentality, but what relly counts IMHO is the loss of your fat. Don't get down because your not loosing weight - esp if you are still needing smaller trousers!