Weight loss or inches loss: which is better?

JKPilsworth

Since before being diagnosed with Type 2, some two and half years ago, I have maintained a reasonable level of activity. My job as a sales representative means I walk a reasonable amount, but I also do about four to six hours of high grade karate per week.

Over time, my weight has stayed about the same (2kg reduction max), but my dress size has gone from a size 18 down to size 14-ish. The other day, one of my colleagues commented about my small waist (to my surprise).

Blood sugars are good as are all the other parameters, with no prescribed medications, although I used a neem leaf and bitter melon dietary supplement.

So, are we just talking weight loss, or is converting fat to muscle also a good thing? Comments anyone?

anniep

Hi

• muscle weighs heavier than fat, so you can be thinner but the same weight.
  • I can't give you the technical details but muscle is better than fat for using up bg and reducing insulin resistance
  • a thin waist is better for you for some reason fat that sticks around the abdomen is very bad for diabetes

Somebody with a medical background may give you the reasons, I only know the effects.

sugar2

HI. At the clinic, they always weigh me, work out my BMI...and then measure my waist, and they say that this is the most important one...so having a tiny waist is great! There is a chart on the wall...and there is a name on it of who did the research taht backs this up...but alas, I can't remember the name.

Again, not medical, but I imagine you look so much better for teh inch loss too!