Weight loss stalled, cold, lethargic - thyroid or just body?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
With the coming of spring, I am about to embark on another attempt to reduce my weight.

First step is to tighten up on what goes in my mouth. :(

So I have stopped the minor comfort of beer and wine, and reduced what I am eating by a bit.
[Like one slice of bacon and one egg as part of my breakfast instead of 2.]

Now I have noticed that I am feeling the cold, and feeling lethargic.
This is quite likely due to my body getting grumpy about reduced rations and shutting down non essentials like central heating and moving around.

However my partner has pointed out that "feeling the cold" and lethargy are also signs of an under active thyroid.:eek:
Also that I've become more sensitive to the cold over quite a long period.

So - anyone else had these kind of symptoms when they start on a diet regime?
I am 6' tall and weighed 12 stone 8 lbs when I started my new regime a few days back.
Lost a couple of pounds so far.
Not really enjoying it.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @LittleGreyCat! I don't know what your food intake is like, but I wouldn't have thought that another egg or rasher of bacon would make much difference to your weight loss. Giving up beer should help.
But you might ask your GP if you should be tested for hyperthyroidism.
Without knowing your BMI or height/waist ratio, a weight of 12st 8lbs doesn't seem overweight for a male who is 6' tall.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @LittleGreyCat! I don't know what your food intake is like, but I wouldn't have thought that another egg or rasher of bacon would make much difference to your weight loss. Giving up beer should help.
But you might ask your GP if you should be tested for hyperthyroidism.
Without knowing your BMI or height/waist ratio, a weight of 12st 8lbs doesn't seem overweight for a male who is 6' tall.

Breakfast was two eggs, two rashers, one large tomato and about 3-4 mushrooms.
Next meal was evening meal - more varied but mainly not very carby vegetables and protein.
So removing an egg and a rasher of bacon from breakfast is quite a significant change for me.
I try to follow LCHF but generally have too much protein to qualify.

My BMI is within the normal range and my waist is half my height.
However my numbers are still wandering between pre-diabetic and full diabetic.
My numbers were better when I weighed less than 12 stone.
My target is to get down to 11 stone 7 lbs which is about the middle of normal BMI for someone my height, but it is proving a struggle.
I would also like to get my waist measurement below the 36" it usually is as this is also only just O.K.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It might be worthwhile tracking your caloric intake to see just how many calories you're getting. Prolonged dieting with very low calories can do all sorts of nasty things to the metabolism.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Was going to post about this in a separate thread.

Many people who adopt an eating plan such as LCHF make major improvements and then just stall.
It can be frustrating to realise that you are eating about half what you used to but you are not losing weight.
So one kick start option is to reduce your calories even further and up the exercise to restart weight loss (working for me at the moment) but as you say if you try to live on virtually nothing your body is not happy long term.

Bottom line is that there can be an eating strategy which takes weight off and improves BG control but which then effectively stops working. So multiple approaches are needed depending where you are in the journey.

Will try and count the carbs for a day or so (but not the Bank Holiday weekend as I am off the reservation :)).