Weight loss, weight gain?

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am a bit unsure if I should be happy or worried with my weight loss. Since being diagnosed in September 2018, I have moved to lower carb (but not aggressive), been on Metformin (1000 mg per day) and Forxiga (5 mg per day till Mid March 2019, when I had to stop as it was having significant side effects. The constant thirst and constant peeing were weakening me). I also was working out fairly regularly 3-4 times a week at the gym and a good walk everyday till February when I broke a bone in foot and have been sedentary. I have lost close to 12 Kilos in this time (8 months) and am beginning to look quite skinny - I am not sure I am happy.

I will bring it up with my doctor and get whatever tests are required, but I would like views on :

a) with those dietary changes / medication / lifestyle - would that weight loss be expected (started at about 86KG and am now at about 74)

b) what can I do to not lose anymore (and probably gain 3-4 kgs), especially in terms of food? Being Indian vegetarian (eggs, dairy, fish are OK), I don't eat meat. Now that I avoid all simple carbs, my diet is looking more and more like lots of vegetables, some lentils and some brown rice / whole wheat chapatis.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Sometimes people can lose a lot and want it to stop, but they are very active in terms of exercise (hrs in the gym, running, jogging, cycling, swimming etc) and just the day to day grind of life. I think for some that keep losing weight, but stick to their strict routines of exercise, it's possible the activity level becomes excessive for some. Just doing too much for their dietary intake and that may require more protein or fat or both to either maintain or gain. And perhaps decrease the exercise aspect to find a balance. Something you have to experiment with.

M

Member496333

Lots of people in this situation think they’re getting too slim. Obviously this may be the case with some, but personally I think it’s mostly because we’ve quickly become accustomed to everyone carrying around a lot of padding. Fire up the old flux capacitor and jump back to 1970 and you’ll probably find you look just like everyone else.

It’s most likely that your body will reach its biological ideal and then control itself with appetite. Some say that your natural frame should be that which you carried in your teenage years. We’ve become used to everyone getting fatter as they get older, and even made a name for it - the middle age spread - because we are all filling up with fat as we ingest too much glucose over the course of our lives.

Personally I wouldn’t worry too much.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Lots of people in this situation think they’re getting too slim. Obviously this may be the case with some, but personally I think it’s mostly because we’ve quickly become accustomed to everyone carrying around a lot of padding. Fire up the old flux capacitor and jump back to 1970 and you’ll probably find you look just like everyone else.

It’s most likely that your body will reach its biological ideal and then control itself with appetite. Some say that your natural frame should be that which you carried in your teenage years. We’ve become used to everyone getting fatter as they get older, and even made a name for it - the middle age spread - because we are all filling up with fat as we ingest too much glucose over the course of our lives.

I have said this to people, look at pics of people or tv shows from the 70's or footage where you see crowds.... you see how lean people are compared to today. It's imo a very valid point.

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

It is funny you should say this... Just the other day, I was looking at my pictures from college days and I thought I was so skinny and I was considered the fat guy in the class!!! And I was wondering, how the hell was that possible. You are so right the benchmarks were so so so different at one time. I think we have just got used to the whole bigger, fatter bodies!! I will try to worry less and still get my doc to do whatever checks he feels are necessary!!! Thanks!!!

M

Member496333

It is funny you should say this... Just the other day, I was looking at my pictures from college days and I thought I was so skinny and I was considered the fat guy in the class!!! And I was wondering, how the hell was that possible. You are so right the benchmarks were so so so different at one time. I think we have just got used to the whole bigger, fatter bodies!! I will try to worry less and still get my doc to do whatever checks he feels are necessary!!! Thanks!!!

I certainly think so. Unless you’re muscle bound then you’re going to be fairly slim when you’re weight is being controlled by the endocrine system rather than carbohydrate dependence. In my view the way to bulk up is to increase lean muscle mass.

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I certainly think so. Unless you’re muscle bound then you’re going to be fairly slim when you’re weight is being controlled by the endocrine system rather than carbohydrate dependence. In my view the way to bulk up is to increase lean muscle mass.

What is the general view on total calorie intake among the low-carb-practitioners?

The reason I ask is, I have just attempted to analyze my typical food for a day and I find, I may be quite low on total calories (probably 1500 or even a bit less, while I used to be definitely eating 2500+ a year ago.... and would expect 2000+ would be good at least) while carbs are still on the higher side probably close to 150 grams.

I wonder if I am just starving myself, and that too on the important stuff!! I need to rebalance in favor of protein and fat!!

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I wonder if I am just starving myself, and that too on the important stuff!! I need to rebalance in favor of protein and fat!!

It happens, you can starve yourself at times. Usually to appease blood glucose control.

Reactions: Shas3

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It happens, you can starve yourself at times. Usually to appease blood glucose control.
Looks like I sure have been..…… I need to up my calories I think to stop the weight loss and yet please the blood glucose meter, which eventually means more protein or fat!! Is there carb-free-sugar-free ice cream... I need to treat myself!!

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Looks like I sure have been..…… I need to up my calories I think to stop the weight loss and yet please the blood glucose meter, which eventually means more protein or fat!! Is there carb-free-sugar-free ice cream... I need to treat myself!!

A number of people in the UK will post about ice cream you can buy.... only thing I can recommend is googling the low carb ice cream versions you can make at home. There are some good one's out there. And who doesn't like ice cream? ;)

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Living in Indonesia, it is probably going to be more like Soy Milk Ice cream!!!

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Living in Indonesia, it is probably going to be more like Soy Milk Ice cream!!!

Oh, well I have no idea what is available there, but most of the low carb ones made at home use coconut oil, butter, cream, eggs, stuff like that.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
If you continue to lose weight I'd advise a little check-up with GP, just in case. Putting your mind at rest can make a huge difference to your diabetes maintenance.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
(Indonesia. The only place I have seen an indigenous marsupial. In what used to known as Irian Jaya.)

I am eating loads of cheese and greek yoghourt because I like it and provides fat, in quantities far more than I ever used too. I imagine it is restricting the speed I am losing weight at.

Reactions: SlimLizzy and Shas3

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I wouldn't mess with calorie intake at this point, as you would know if you were starving by the physical sensation. I would say the safest way keeping within your current regime is to reduce cardio and up resistance training, a sure fire way to increase lean weight and if you are under eating you could add additional protein. I feel this method would satisfy blood glucose requirements and not hurt your waistline etc.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
If you are thinking of increasing your calories the dietdoctor web site has loads of low carb highish calorie recipes.

M

Member496333

What is the general view on total calorie intake among the low-carb-practitioners?

The reason I ask is, I have just attempted to analyze my typical food for a day and I find, I may be quite low on total calories (probably 1500 or even a bit less, while I used to be definitely eating 2500+ a year ago.... and would expect 2000+ would be good at least) while carbs are still on the higher side probably close to 150 grams.

Personally I pay no attention to calories or even make a conscious effort to monitor my macronutrient composition. I have a dietary ethos that I stick to, and my body seems to ensure I get everything I need without me having to overthink the details. Calories do of course matter, but in my opinion not nearly as much as their composition. Most certainly I do not subscribe to the CICO model of weight management.

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you continue to lose weight I'd advise a little check-up with GP, just in case. Putting your mind at rest can make a huge difference to your diabetes maintenance.
Thanks. Sure. Will do ASAP.

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
(Indonesia. The only place I have seen an indigenous marsupial. In what used to known as Irian Jaya.)

I am eating loads of cheese and greek yoghourt because I like it and provides fat, in quantities far more than I ever used too. I imagine it is restricting the speed I am losing weight at.

Irian Jaya... that is right... Papua... I forget the details, but there is one separate country called Papua New Guinea, which broke away from Indonesia and then there is a part of Indonesia that is called Papua. One of these two is also called (used to be called?) Irian Jaya - I forget which part.

On the Cheese and Yoghurt, I love them too and I think I just need to increase the quantitates. It is just so unusual for me. I mean, my life was mostly like - Cheese may be a couple of times a week when I have eggs for breakfast OR when we have Italian for dinner.... While I continue the eggs with similar levels of cheese as before, I have stopped eating Italian dinners as usually they are pasta.... So, yes net net my cheese consumption has possibly gone down... not even stable!! Yogurt, yes... but you know how Indians use it - This may sound terribly gross to my western friends, but usually it is Yogurt with Rice and it is plain yogurt.. Not sweet, not flavored. So... With reducing rice, I think I have also reduced yogurt!!

So much change needed to get my calories but not the carbs!!! I think I am learning.... Thanks