Weight Loss

Fatman70

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The last 6 months,I have probably lost about 10kg. My food intake has changed and fruit intake has increased two fold.
I am trying to cut on my snacks and instead have an apple instead, however **** I feel hungry Any suggestions please.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would cut out all the fruit to begin with. It isn't a good food choice for Type 2 diabetics. It is full of sugar (fructose), and additionally is a major contributor to a fatty liver, which is just what we do not want! If you want to eat some fruit, berries are the best choice, and only then in small portions. They are best eaten with a full fat yogurt or cream as part of a meal and not as a stand alone snack.

Can you tell us what a typical day's food is? We may spot other things to help.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would go with @Bluetit1802 and give the fruit a complete rest.
It really depends where you are. Do you think you have more weight to lose? Are you testing for BG? How have you responded to the diagnosis?
Welcome to the forum, I wish you well.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Fatman70

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My typical day would be:

Breakfast - Black tea without sugar, green apple and banana
Snack - Apple
Lunch - chicken salad with brown bread
Snack - Apple
Dinner - Whatever the wife cooks with fat ( but try to eat before 7pm)

Lots of water

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think what you need to do is buy yourself a blood glucose meter. They are essential tools and one will become your best friend and guide you with your food choices. If you test before you eat and 2 hours after you can see at a glance exactly what that food has done to your blood glucose levels. Keeping a detailed food diary is also essential (including portion sizes) so you can record your levels alongside the food. This will throw up patterns and show you what your danger foods are and in what portion sizes.

As for your current choices, as I said earlier, fruit is not a good choice unless it is a few berries. Bananas are instant glucose so best to avoid them. The bread is also a poor choice because of the carb content. It doesn't matter what colour it is. All carbs turn to sugar once eaten so need to be kept to a minimum. The worst culprits are bread, rice, potatoes, pasta, breakfast cereals, pastry .... and fruit! This doesn't mean to say you can't eat any of these things, but you do need a meter so you can discover what your personal tolerance is.

Have a look at this
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/60-seconds
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/foods#foodlist

There are some lovely recipes on that site that you may like to show your wife.

Can you tell us which diabetes medication you are on?