Weight problems

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello
I am recently diagnosed with pre diabetes. I was told I was over weight at 10.5 stone! The weight was in the wrong place on my stomach so I crash dieted and lost half a stone in 3 months. Sadly I continued to lose weight and now am 9.5stone ! I still have fat on my stomach.
I am trying to stick to a low sugar diet but need to build weight without bread,potatoes, or starch in general. Anyone any ideas please. I am 76 but swim regularly and walk my 10000 steps several times a week.
I hope this is the right place for this question?
Paul

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Ivor and welcome

Weight by itself doesn't help - it's also got a lot to do with your build and your height. If you've been assessed using only BMI it is often misleading - all the players at the rugby world cup would be classed as obese by BMI, for example.

I've found that restricting carbs so that I'm in ketosis works to reduce bodyfat for me: I've lost over 30kg since diagnosis in December 2019 that way. However I started exercising again last year, and my weight loss stopped, because I was again building muscle. I do eat a lot of protein, mainly as meat.

I've also found that I need to constantly vary what I'm doing - having a set routine seems to just encourage adaptation to the routine. My system seems to need not to know what's coming next.

Redshank

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are losing weight that you don't wish to lose, and you want to avoid starch/carbohydrate then you must increase fat and/or protein.
It is possible that at your weight, and the amount you have lost that you are losing muscle mass - though your swimming and walking may help preserve it.
When I lost weight I didn't need to I kept a food diary for a while and worked out how many calories I was eating - and it wasn't enough. I increased protein and fat and put a bit of weight back on and have stabilised it for more than 5 years.

You don't say what your height is, but I would be very surprised if you needed to lose any more weight. Eat more fat and protein

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would suggest eating nuts - they are relatively calorific for a small portion and are largely protein and fat. Cashew nuts in particular are really good. They are my go to snack since I cut out added sugar.

Reactions: Emuman20621
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn’t know that - thank you. ☺️

They also have 46g fat and 15g of protein per 100g so the spread of nutrients helps manage the carb content and adding healthy calories to your diet.

I guess it depends how sensitive to carbs you are? . I’ll try different source to see if it makes a difference to my BG response. Thank you. Apologies to the original poster if I’ve given you wrong information but it worked for me.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Cashews are legumes like Peanuts, not real nuts. At approx' 32g carbs per 100g, they are far too carby for many of us.
My bag says 22 grams per 100 gram. Still on the high side compared to other nuts but definitely less.
Can it be you used US info with the fiber included?

Reactions: Emuman20621

Gabriel37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello
I am recently diagnosed with pre diabetes. I was told I was over weight at 10.5 stone! The weight was in the wrong place on my stomach so I crash dieted and lost half a stone in 3 months. Sadly I continued to lose weight and now am 9.5stone ! I still have fat on my stomach.
I am trying to stick to a low sugar diet but need to build weight without bread,potatoes, or starch in general. Anyone any ideas please. I am 76 but swim regularly and walk my 10000 steps several times a week.
I hope this is the right place for this question?
Paul
Check your testosterone levels as well ,rise protein and fat intake ,lose the swiming and do strenght training or if you have the time,do it after anarobic exercises (when you lose weight you lose fat and muscle,muscle uses sugar in our blood without insulin ,hence the reson try to keep your muscle) ,try to work out big muscle grups ,legs,chest,back

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Cashews are legumes like Peanuts, not real nuts. At approx' 32g carbs per 100g, they are far too carby for many of us.
Think there's a controversy in play, I've just looked on Google to check because I didn't think a cashew was a legume. From what I understand they are neither a legume nor a nut, from what I've read they are a drupe which is the same as a coffee seed apparently. (BTW I'd never heard of a drupe until today ;) )

1705239653511.png

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Think there's a controversy in play, I've just looked on Google to check because I didn't think a cashew was a legume. From what I understand they are neither a legume nor a nut, from what I've read they are a drupe which is the same as a coffee seed apparently. (BTW I'd never heard of a drupe until today ;) )

View attachment 65533

Nor me!

I guess the bottom line is that I don’t care what category they fall into. They have loads of good stuff in them and as long as I watch the portion size, the carbs are fine for me and it’s better than eating a biscuit.