weight watchers and high sugars

maxjoe121

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all.. haven't posted in a long while.. just wanted some advice. I joined ww last week amd lost 5llb in first week so really thrilled about that, only thing is ive just checked my sugars amd they are highest ever been at 10.. i ate a bowl of homemade veg soup and 2 ryvitas an hour ago amd thats it ..cant understand this at all. Want to lise weight but dont want my sugars to rise

Reactions: Serena51

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Welcome back.
It may be that WW recommends more carbohydrates that your body can currently cope with.

However losing weight may improve that, and if WW keeps working for you then you may have to accept higher BG levels in the short term.

There is plenty of information here about LCHF and keto (as you probably already know) but if that doesn't work for you then any weight loss campaign is worth a try.

Reactions: maxjoe121

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry to say but each Ryvita is about 10grm carbs. If the soup was made with root vegetables the carb count could also be fairly high. So overall your meal may well have contained in the order of 40 to 50 carbs. But you tested and now you know. I found, many years ago, WW to be completely useless from the point of view trying to loose weight and control blood sugars. To many carbs. in their recipes at that time.

maxjoe121

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thankyou
Welcome back.
It may be that WW recommends more carbohydrates that your body can currently cope with.

However losing weight may improve that, and if WW keeps working for you then you may have to accept higher BG levels in the short term.

There is plenty of information here about LCHF and keto (as you probably already know) but if that doesn't work for you then any weight loss campaign is worth a try.

maxjoe121

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to say but each Ryvita is about 10grm carbs. If the soup was made with root vegetables the carb count could also be fairly high. So overall your meal may well have contained in the order of 40 to 50 carbs. But you tested and now you know. I found, many years ago, WW to be completely useless from the point of view trying to loose weight and control blood sugars. To many carbs. in their recipes at that time.
Thankyou.. i will watch that.. if it doesnt work out ill go back to LCHF

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi all.. haven't posted in a long while.. just wanted some advice. I joined ww last week amd lost 5llb in first week so really thrilled about that, only thing is ive just checked my sugars amd they are highest ever been at 10.. i ate a bowl of homemade veg soup and 2 ryvitas an hour ago amd thats it ..cant understand this at all. Want to lise weight but dont want my sugars to rise

Hi maxjoe121,
I have been told that some people lose weight and reduce their BG figures with WW.
However, I suspect that the majority either don't, or if they do they can't sustain it.
Unlike LCHF which is sustainable for most people (except perhaps vegans).

What made you decide to switch from LCHF to WW ?

Reactions: Serena51

maxjoe121

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi maxjoe121,
I have been told that some people lose weight and reduce their BG figures with WW.
However, I suspect that the majority either don't, or if they do they can't sustain it.
Unlike LCHF which is sustainable for most people (except perhaps vegans).

What made you decide to switch from LCHF to WW ?
I fell.off the wagon a few years ago with the LCHF and just neber got back on. Have put a lot of weight back on and joined ww with a friend last week amd lost 5llb in first week . Ill have to he careful with whatt i eat in on with the carbs for eg. The fruit and veg .

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I fell.off the wagon a few years ago with the LCHF and just neber got back on. Have put a lot of weight back on and joined ww with a friend last week amd lost 5llb in first week . Ill have to he careful with whatt i eat in on with the carbs for eg. The fruit and veg .
Any restrictive diet from eating whatever you like would give you a loss. It's whether you can sustain it but I found dieting very very depressing. Constantly told what not to hv without alternatives.
Finding alternatives to your favourites was a huge help to me. I buy almond flour and make biscuits for the kids and their friends. I make crumble with blackberries and eat out with wise choices. Now my stomach size is reduced I eat less so I'm able to reduce my insulin need. Which was huge for me before June.
Have another attempt at eating to your meter. Enjoy your food and buy good quality protein. You deserve it. :)

Reactions: HSSS and maxjoe121

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

It’s been a long time since I’ve done WW, but at least at that time, the macronutrient ratios could vary substantially. So, lower carb is not inconsistent with WW, at least the older program. If lower carb for BG works for you (or did in the past), why not combine that with WW? I think a part of WW that used to be very helpful was the group support. Are you on line or going in-person?

M

Member496333

As a type 2, fruit won't do you much good at all. You can choose to eat it of course, but don't be under any illusions about its health giving properties. The sugar in fruit is the same as that in table sugar - glucose and fructose. Albeit probably not always in the same 50/50 ratio. The fructose in particular is likely to incrementally exasperate insulin resistance in the liver, since that is its role in our evolutionary biology - to help fatten us up during the summer months (think bears).

maxjoe121

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s been a long time since I’ve done WW, but at least at that time, the macronutrient ratios could vary substantially. So, lower carb is not inconsistent with WW, at least the older program. If lower carb for BG works for you (or did in the past), why not combine that with WW? I think a part of WW that used to be very helpful was the group support. Are you on line or going in-person?
Yes it seems lowercarb and also low fat so i coukd just do the low carb and maybe up the fat a bit as most of the low fat have high sugar content.. yes i have joined a group and its a lot better as it gives me more motivation. X

Reactions: Walking Girl

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
The whole reason behind a LCHF diet is in fact the high fat