Weight Watchers and T1

megdowney407

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello there,

Last week I decided to go for it and try Weight Watchers to lose a little bit of weight. I'm struggling a little bit because a lot of the "free" foods that I can theoretically have in abundance are not low carb options that, as a diabetic, I cannot eat in abundance. Some examples of this are beans (all kinds), lentils, mangoes, peaches (well, all fruits and vegetables), fruit cocktail (!), etc.

I do know that I can have any and all of these things. But there's a clash between weight watchers suggesting these foods and that I can eat all I want until I feel full and knowing that I have to eat very exact amounts of these foods with corresponding insulin injections.

So I'm here to ask if anyone has done Weight Watchers with success and how you managed that along with glucose and carb and insulin management.

Thanks guys!

Key_master_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Have you tried dr Bernstein’s approach? I swear by it. I’m as skinny as I can healthily be right now. That’s after starting following it to the book last June.

I now have his diet book with loads of new recipes and ideas to try out.

D

Deleted member 391597

Hi @megdowney407! I started Weight Watchers 2 and a half weeks ago. How are you finding it now? Have you lost weight? I had great success a few years ago but that was before my diabetes diagnosis! I am worried that insulin will hinder my weight loss!

spage

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello there,

Last week I decided to go for it and try Weight Watchers to lose a little bit of weight. I'm struggling a little bit because a lot of the "free" foods that I can theoretically have in abundance are not low carb options that, as a diabetic, I cannot eat in abundance. Some examples of this are beans (all kinds), lentils, mangoes, peaches (well, all fruits and vegetables), fruit cocktail (!), etc.

I do know that I can have any and all of these things. But there's a clash between weight watchers suggesting these foods and that I can eat all I want until I feel full and knowing that I have to eat very exact amounts of these foods with corresponding insulin injections.

So I'm here to ask if anyone has done Weight Watchers with success and how you managed that along with glucose and carb and insulin management.

Thanks guys!

I started WW in January and have lost 22lBs so far. I’m LADA diabetic (1.5). Only done with medication for now. But it has helped my numbers. I’m having porridge most mornings usually a sandwich thin or wrap for lunch. Then a standar dinner. If it was for example carbs pasta etc I’d only have a tiny bit but fill out with vege. Not sure what you mean about the free foods or 0point foods. I do manage fine with these. Obvious Carbs is easy to keep at a low as these are high in smart points. Most 0point foods are fruits vege fish chicken eggs etc it’s having them in moderation really

ronialive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ignorant people
Hello there,

Thanks guys!
I am currently doing ww and have lost 2.5 stone with other medical problems too.
I am having blue berries and yogurt for breakfast and sandwich fruit for lunch using quark instead of marg healthy tea leaves me points to spare. If I am hungry I inject extra with meal to cover fruit back but eat it later and avoid spike. Or I have chicken or boiled eg for snack. Pulses are low points ad baked chick peas make a great snack. Spray with fry lite and use salt and vinegar or curry to flavour. Bake 30 mins.

ronialive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ignorant people
I am currently doing ww and have lost 2.5 stone with other medical problems too.
I am having blue berries and yogurt for breakfast and sandwich fruit for lunch using quark instead of marg healthy tea leaves me points to spare. If I am hungry I inject extra with meal to cover fruit back but eat it later and avoid spike. Or I have chicken or boiled eg for snack. Pulses are low points ad baked chick peas make a great snack. Spray with fry lite and use salt and vinegar or curry to flavour. Bake 30 mins.
I also use libre self funded at present:)

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
I’ve recently joined ww again...

mally4355

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have a couple younger sisters who have done huge stretches of Weight Watchers. They each weight about 60 pounds more than me. Just saying
So is it worth joining weight watchers if i want to stay low carb for my diabetes ? What do you think ?