Weird foods (Type 2)

Tron2112

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have found a "weird food" that I expected to spike my sugars but doesn't. I love Reese Peanut Butter Cups. They come in packs of three and according to myfitnesspal they contain 33g of carbs of which 33g are sugars.

I get my lowest readings of the day between the hours of 5-6pm, even lower than morning reads. It's the only time of day when I get below 5. So I occasionally allow myself a treat then. Before I ate the delicious cups, my reading was 5.2. I took a metformin with it. An hour later I expected at least a 7 or 8 but to my surprise it was only 5.4!

By contrast I had three small slices of pizza a couple nights before and spiked up to 11.2. A generous handful of Pringles had me up to 9. How is it possible that these peanut butter cups only take me up a couple decimal points?

Does anyone else have a weird food like this?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
LittleWolf said:
Lucozade barely spikes my blood sugar by 4mmol. Fruit juice will have it in the teens.

Try a big portion of mashed potato or a chinese takeaway as those 2 were FAR worse on my levels than Lucozade(which puts me up into the 30's when I tried a home OGTT) but mashed potato's and chinese takeaway my levels were so high it wouldn't register a reading so they are on the 'NEVER again' list.

LittleWolf

Mashed potato around 12-14.

WHITE BREAD and we're looking higher. Calbee brand Japanese prawn crackers have produced the highest reading to date which is only 19.4

Doctor has yet to be convinced I'm diabetic let alone what type but I am curious as to differences in type now because we all react to different foods in different ways. If I actually get a diagnosis, I suppose my comparisons will be a bit more relevant (and I treatment obviously)

I am perplexed; a drink that is supposed to raise blood sugar levels quickly doesn't compare to a slice of harddough bread or crackers. I know bread is high GI but isn't Lucozade meant to be 95?

OGTT with lucozade is tomorrow and I am curious as to the outcome because I have to direct the test as they don't know how to do it! Could be interesting.