Weird response to insulin change

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, can I become less insulin resistant over night? The DSN told me to use 10:1 ratio with food vs novo rapid, this has been incredibly effective and the last two days I have been almost flatlining through the centre of the green target zone on libre.

She also changed me from Humalin I once at bedtime to Levamir twice 12 hours apart, she told me to take 16 units each time, this was comparable to Humalin dose but I’m staying around 3.3 - 3.5 jelly babies x3 bring me up but I’m staying low.

Is levamir stronger than Humalin I and why would changing from 1.5:10 to 1:10 be so much better? Nurse sad not to change for 3 days but I can’t stay hypoing for 3 days, surely I have to adjust next dose?

Just wondering really, it’s kind of odd.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you are staying at the same level, your basal level is correct.
The purpose of basal is to maintain your level when there is nothing (food, exercise, stress, etc.) to change it.
If you are staying at 3.6, your starting level is too low.
If you are falling to 3.5, your insulin dose is too high.

Reactions: Fenn

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
If you are staying at the same level, your basal level is correct.
The purpose of basal is to maintain your level when there is nothing (food, exercise, stress, etc.) to change it.
If you are staying at 3.6, your starting level is too low.
If you are falling to 3.5, your insulin dose is too high.
Thankyou

Starting level is too low = Too much long lasting (Levamir)?

I’m just going to changed it today, it’s all very well sitting here watching olympics but can’t do this at work tomorrow lol

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, can I become less insulin resistant over night? The DSN told me to use 10:1 ratio with food vs novo rapid, this has been incredibly effective and the last two days I have been almost flatlining through the centre of the green target zone on libre.

She also changed me from Humalin I once at bedtime to Levamir twice 12 hours apart, she told me to take 16 units each time, this was comparable to Humalin dose but I’m staying around 3.3 - 3.5 jelly babies x3 bring me up but I’m staying low.

Is levamir stronger than Humalin I and why would changing from 1.5:10 to 1:10 be so much better? Nurse sad not to change for 3 days but I can’t stay hypoing for 3 days, surely I have to adjust next dose?

Just wondering really, it’s kind of odd.

Hi Fenn,

Basal hypos may keep recuring if you only throw fast acting carbs at it? You could try following up with longer acting carbs. Even a little milk?

You need to talk to your DSN regarding dosage change.
It's great you use a Libre, back any low numbers up with your meter too? Libres for me are slow to respond when coming up off "one."

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Fenn,

Basal hypos may keep recuring if you only throw fast acting carbs at it? You could try following up with longer acting carbs. Even a little milk?

You need to talk to your DSN regarding dosage change.
It's great you use a Libre, back any low numbers up with your meter too? Libres for me are slow to respond when coming up off "one."
Thankyou

I ate a cheese toastie, then wasn’t sure if I should inject so injected 2 units, 45 minutes and I’m at 4.6 so that’s good.

She said I can adjust the levamir by 2 units at a time but let it bed in for a few days before doing that, she was talking about putting it up though, I’m obviously going to adjust down. It will be fine, I’m way lower and have much much better control than usual so have some room to go higher

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thankyou

I ate a cheese toastie, then wasn’t sure if I should inject so injected 2 units, 45 minutes and I’m at 4.6 so that’s good.

She said I can adjust the levamir by 2 units at a time but let it bed in for a few days before doing that, she was talking about putting it up though, I’m obviously going to adjust down. It will be fine, I’m way lower and have much much better control than usual so have some room to go higher

Yep, that's the usual rule of thumb with basal see if you can spot a trend over a 3 day period?
To sort of make sure it isn't some sort of fluke?
However, you know your own body.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
This is daft, I’m red again, surely a cheese toastie is long acting carbs?
Yep, that's the usual rule of thumb with basal see if you can spot a trend over a 3 day period?
To sort of make sure it isn't some sort of fluke?
However, you know your own body.
Thankyou

Maybe a unit of this does not equate to a unit of that,

Does make me wonder if IR can change day to day.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Even if that same level is 3.6?
Yes.
If you have the correct basal dose, your blood sugar will barely move.

In addition, if your level is below 4, you are hypo and should be correcting it.
I assume, at the point you took your basal you checked your levels and this is the level we are talking about being 3.6.

Reactions: Fenn and zand

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes.
If you have the correct basal dose, your blood sugar will barely move.

In addition, if your level is below 4, you are hypo and should be correcting it.
I assume, at the point you took your basal you checked your levels and this is the level we are talking about being 3.6.
That actually makes sense!

So the basal keeps it stable, I adjust with novo but should stay stable at wherever I adjusted it to. After two or more years, the last two days is the first time I achieved this, unbelievable.

Thankyou, shouldn’t they explain that when they give it to us?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. When splitting Levemir many of us find we need to have asymmetric doses for Day and Night. For example I take 8 to 10 units at night but 18 for the day. My Freestyle Libre 2 has guided me on this split. You will need to do this by trial and error and only gradually over several days. Shortly you need to start carb-counting which means adjusting your Bolus to suit the carbs in each meal.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. When splitting Levemir many of us find we need to have asymmetric doses for Day and Night. For example I take 8 to 10 units at night but 18 for the day. My Freestyle Libre 2 has guided me on this split. You will need to do this by trial and error and only gradually over several days. Shortly you need to start carb-counting which means adjusting your Bolus to suit the carbs in each meal.
Thankyou

As mild exercise has a dramatic lowering effect on me, I would have expected the opposite, be very interesting for me to see what happens.

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....

I'm the opposite as i take 8 units for the day and 16 at night.
My body is sensitive to exercise so need the extra when sleeping.

I only point this out to the OP to make the point we are all different.

Good luck

Tony

Reactions: zand and Fenn

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm the opposite as i take 8 units for the day and 16 at night.
My body is sensitive to exercise so need the extra when sleeping.

I only point this out to the OP to make the point we are all different.

Good luck

Tony
Thankyou

I am also sensitive to exercise, not that I do any real exercise, just a dog walk and that normally sends me low, so I would expect the same as you as I do an active job. be interesting to see.

Reactions: Tony337