Well I never...

mymuk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've discovered I can eat oranges again. One whole large juicy orange produced a rise of 0.9 after two hours.

Nice to know.

I'm starting to wonder if I've repaired my insulin resistance a bit. Maybe I should test some porridge tomorrow.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd be a bit suspicious and do several tests to see if the response was already over at 2 hours.
I know that I can now eat more carbs - but they don't show up so much on the BG meter as on the scales next morning.

Reactions: mymuk and VashtiB

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd also be a bit careful and agree to retest and maybe test at 3 hrs.

I think if it is correct you want to be careful not to go straight back into the carbs too quickly as you may find that it is harder to not eat a lower carb diet.

I would suggest you wait for a few days before another experiment.

I hope that the results stick and you have actually reduced your IR.

Let us know how it goes- maybe post in the success part of the site. Everyone always enjoys seeing good news.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I've discovered I can eat oranges again. One whole large juicy orange produced a rise of 0.9 after two hours.

Nice to know.

I'm starting to wonder if I've repaired my insulin resistance a bit. Maybe I should test some porridge tomorrow.

When you are carb intolerant, doing these kinds of things is a bit like poking the bear.... but by all means do as you please and see what happens. As has been pointed out, you may not see a bad result at 2 hrs, but 3 hrs later could well be different. Also, fat delays the rise in blood glucose from carbs, so depending on what you ate before or with can delay a rise. I'd also double check the reading to be sure.

Those are foods that will not only raise blood glucose, but also insulin responses. Good luck

Reactions: ert

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, like the others, I would do more testing.

a lot will depend on what you ate with the orange.

my experience with fruit is that, on an empty stomach, the fruit sugars hit hard and fast, with a silly high peak at around 45 mins.
Whereas if the fruit is tacked on after a full keto meal, the rise will be lower, longer and later.

I would try the fruit by itself on an empty stomach and test every 15 mins for the first hour

Reactions: ert

mymuk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks all. I've no intention of returning to mass carb eating. Just curious to test a few effects of other things I know did a lot of spiking last year.

The 0.9 rise itself was only to 5.7, so even if it was larger earlier it would still likely be in a respectably low range.

Roll on the new Samsung Watch, as I think I'd like a play with continuous monitoring.

Last edited:

mymuk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know that I can now eat more carbs - but they don't show up so much on the BG meter as on the scales next morning.

This is undeniably true. Still on a downward drift though thank goodness. 130kg last March, 104kg this March. Though that's the easy "not really trying to lose weight" phase over, I think.