Well it's official

Maitland

Posted a couple of weeks ago giving my readings of 7.4 and 8.7. Knew almost immediately when given these numbers that I had type 2 diabetes.

Once the receptionist gave me the numbers I knew it was important to change my way of life, however the next morning I made the decision to have my final fry up buying two "fat boy" breakfasts and devouring both with gusto.

On the 17th April I weighed in at 12 stone 12 pounds and would happily eat a dozen yum yum's with a cup of tea but this was my day to make that change with an appointment made with my Doctor for the 26th of April. I got my blood glucose monitor and cut my calorie intake to 1500 calories a day and try not to exceed 150g of Carbohydrates. The 3 fasting tests I did (I appreciate the monitor may not be accurate with this test) came back at 5.8, 5.6 and this morning 5.8. Most foods (bar one) came in between 5.8 and 7.4 (two hours after eating).

I went to the Doctor 10 pounds lighter at 12 stone 2 pounds armed with my glucose levels that I thought were pretty good. I knew I was about to be diagnosed with Type 2 and had prepared myself for it.

Being told I was type 2 was fine, being told that I was being sent for a retina scan was fine, being told that I was being sent to the Diabetic nurse was fine and being told I would have a liver function test in 2 months was fine but when he told me I was to take medication I recoiled in horror !

I really really didn't expect that. I did ask if I could come off the tablets once my weight and blood sugars were stable, but was told no. I didn't have to have them but he recommended I should.

I am a very positive person and have looked on this diagnosis as positive in that I HAVE to change my way of life but I have to admit being put on 40mg of Simvastatin has deflated me somewhat. I know within the hour I will get my head around it and I will deal with it in a positive way but still, it came as a wee bit of a shock.

Anyway onwards and upwards (other than my weight) :D

M...

pav

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I presume that you will be put on metformin or metformin slow release if you can't tolerate the normal metformin.

Metformin does have the advantage its a safe diabetic medicine, though some have problems with the standard version and try the slow release one.

There is one advantage of being put on medication for diabetes (if you can call it an advantage) is that you qualify for free prescriptions. Just need to get a form from your GP and send it off, as some of us are on a cocktail of different meds. You will also qualify for free annual eye tests at the opticians, don't know if you still need a form 10 from the doctors to initially to give the optician.

With the numbers you are getting, I would be happy with them, mine have been nowhere near them until recently.

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
40mg Simvastatin? Thats a pretty high starting dose. I was on it but they started me on 5mg, the it rose gradually whiloe testing regularly up to 40mg over a period of 7 years. 40mg gave me some side effects and my cholesterol was still way too high, so they changed me over to Lipitor 40mg in December last year, cholesterol now much lower and no side effects at all.

If you start to get any muscle pain you need to call your doctor straight away.

Maitland

pav said:
I presume that you will be put on metformin or metformin slow release if you can't tolerate the normal metformin.

Metformin does have the advantage its a safe diabetic medicine, though some have problems with the standard version and try the slow release one.

There is one advantage of being put on medication for diabetes (if you can call it an advantage) is that you qualify for free prescriptions. Just need to get a form from your GP and send it off, as some of us are on a cocktail of different meds. You will also qualify for free annual eye tests at the opticians, don't know if you still need a form 10 from the doctors to initially to give the optician.

With the numbers you are getting, I would be happy with them, mine have been nowhere near them until recently.

I haven't been put on Metformin but he has stated that that may be something for the future, some 3 years down the line (I think he may have pulled a number out of his head). I am in Scotland so prescriptions are free anyway as are annual eye tests.

Thommothebear said:
40mg Simvastatin? Thats a pretty high starting dose. I was on it but they started me on 5mg, the it rose gradually whiloe testing regularly up to 40mg over a period of 7 years. 40mg gave me some side effects and my cholesterol was still way too high, so they changed me over to Lipitor 40mg in December last year, cholesterol now much lower and no side effects at all.

If you start to get any muscle pain you need to call your doctor straight away.

It is definitely 40mg of Simvastatin and I was aware of the possible side effects. He did mention the muscle cramping and some stomach upset and advised me to contact him if I have any issues with cramping. Hopefully that will not be an issue and the drugs will have some beneficial effect on me.

I am very much aware that there are many people on this forum that are in a far worse position than I am with regards to their diabetes so shan't blether on too much. I have to say however that reading through the information on this site and reading through the posts are immensely helpful and I have taken inspiration from many on here. A big thank you for that.

M...

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Congratulations on the weight progress and you are allowed some fry-ups! It's your choice with regard to Simvastatin. The NHS has a 'thing' about putting diabetics on statins without really good evidence to say they should. Statins are not a diabetes medicine as such and will not help with blood sugar; in fact they slightly elevate blood sugar. Some believe keeping cholesterol very low helps keep the circulation clear; others don't agree so the jury is out. You might want to take CoQ10 tablets with the statin. As others have said, Metformin is a good drug so if you eventually go onto it don't worry.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Maitland,
What were your serum lipid levels results (ie LDL, HDL, Triglycerides, Total Cholestorol)?
Daibell,
I agree about the NHS tendency to blindly prescribe Simvastatin, I was Tot Chol <3 and they still tried to put me on it :? :?

Maitland

FergusCrawford said:
Maitland,
What were your serum lipid levels results (ie LDL, HDL, Triglycerides, Total Cholestorol)?
Daibell,
I agree about the NHS tendency to blindly prescribe Simvastatin, I was Tot Chol <3 and they still tried to put me on it :? :?

It embarrasses me to say it but I don't know. I was so taken aback to be put on meds that I never asked. My appointment with the diabetic nurse is on the 14th May so will make a point of asking.

Now off for an 8 mile walk. Wish me luck :D

M...

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Statins are for 'high' cholesterol, find out what your results are and don't be persuaded to go on them until you have done your research. They are handed out like sweeties without any regard for the drawbacks. Check out Dr Briffa and bloodsugar 101.
Well done on your progress so far.

Maitland

dawnmc said:
Statins are for 'high' cholesterol, find out what your results are and don't be persuaded to go on them until you have done your research. They are handed out like sweeties without any regard for the drawbacks. Check out Dr Briffa and bloodsugar 101.
Well done on your progress so far.

I will certainly be asking. Thankfully no immediate side effects with the Statin and as of this morning 12 pounds lost in 12 days thank you for your support.

Had my 2 white rolls and 6 slices of bacon for my Sunday breakfast as I read the Sunday papers. Testing 2 hours after I showed a reading of 7.1mm/ol. I am trying to vary my diet and am trying to test as much at the minute as I can to give me an idea what foodstuffs are appropriate for me.

Just polished off a bowl of 100g of Tesco finest fruit and nut muesli with 100ml of semi skimmed milk to see where my glucose levels will take me.

Quiet amazed at the level of carbohydrates in 100g, over 60 !!

I have now eaten more carbs in one day than I did in the whole day yesterday so would suggest that extra 1 pound to take me under 12 stone may take a couple of days to shift.

Walked 10 miles yesterday and enjoyed every minute of it. 3 miles this morning, 3 miles on the mountain bike this afternoon with another 6 miles earmarked before I settle down for the evening. Really enjoying this new way of life.

M...

Maitland

FergusCrawford said:
Maitland,
Daibell,

Appointment today and I asked for a printout of my results.

HBA1C - 59
Trigglyceride - 2.2
Cholesterol - 7.0
HDL - 1.4
LDL - 4.6

M...