We're all in the same boat, but T1 is not T2!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
For some reason, in my medical records it had been put that I was type 2 I don't know if this was a simple typo but luckily I had gotten a copy of the appointment I'd had sent by letter so I could tell them of the mistake. Imagine if this had gone unnoticed for years...

They probably would of insisted you are type 2, or, " are you sure, it says here in your records that you are type 2 ?.....................:arghh:

Reactions: 2 people

TooMuchGlucose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They probably would of insisted you are type 2, or, " are you sure, it says here in your records that you are type 2 ?.....................:arghh:

I would have told them, I had the ketones at diagnosis to prove it! It's not hard to read something more than once to check it's written correctly, also aged 22 too young to have type 2.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I would have told them, I had the ketones at diagnosis to prove it! It's not hard to read something more than once to check it's written correctly, also aged 22 too young to have type 2.

22 ? but not nowadays I'm afraid.

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
For some reason, in my medical records it had been put that I was type 2 I don't know if this was a simple typo but luckily I had gotten a copy of the appointment I'd had sent by letter so I could tell them of the mistake. Imagine if this had gone unnoticed for years...

Snap... At hospital a&E... So when my levels dropped to 4.0 and I said I was going to go hypo and nil by mouth.. They didn't give a ****!!!

There is a huge difference with a T1 that knows how much IOB they have and warning a A&E nil by mouth situation than a T2 diet or tablet controlled person...

That is my concern now.. I had T2 wriiten clearly on my notes when I sneaked a look at them....

The A&E IGNORED my hypo warnings and my situation and jyst wrongly treated me as a T2 ... Why?? Becsuse of my being 52 years old ..., they just assumed T2.

Reactions: 2 people

candysweet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
BALLOONS!!!
Mmm must try spiralina - I am type 1 and a mate told me to drink aloe vera juice as it would help cure my diabetes, she works for a pyramid marketing company which is complete and utter BS !! I feel your pain, it makes me mad too, my mother in law treats me like I am a type 2 and am sick of being told what I can and can't eat, including drinking champagne (only had 2 sips as gets me tipsy anyway !!)

I still cannot stand the upset it causes between type 1's and type 2's simply because we both have a blood glucose disorder however this is where the similarity ends - the differences are endless but it still means we get treated the same. I heard a funny quote the other day about sending a type 1 and type 2 into the woods for a week, the type 2 would be cured but the type 1 would be dead, I think that says it all..
Type 2 can be controlled to a degree, not cured!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The A&E IGNORED my hypo warnings and my situation and jyst wrongly treated me as a T2 ... Why?? Becsuse of my being 52 years old ..., they just assumed T2.

That is ridiculous! As others have said T1 children do grow up........or do they become T2 when they are old enough? Unbelievable. :mad: Such poor care and such poor logic too.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
How many T1's are now above 50? How many check their notes if taken in to A&E To ensure you have people aware of treating hypos etc?

Honestly T1 is recignised as a younger person illness... The NHS fail to recognise that us T1's age as well. Despite clearly myself and my hubby clearly tellin my A&E OF t1 some idiot still wrote in T2.

Inly limited records are available at hospitals. Hard copy records are normally nowadays put to large distribution storage centres and collected overnight for outpatient appointments.

If you turn up at A&E as a 50+ year old T1 you need to check that the notes written by the triage professional reflect accurately.

Reactions: 9 people

TooMuchGlucose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Snap... At hospital a&E... So when my levels dropped to 4.0 and I said I was going to go hypo and nil by mouth.. They didn't give a ****!!!

There is a huge difference with a T1 that knows how much IOB they have and warning a A&E nil by mouth situation than a T2 diet or tablet controlled person...

That is my concern now.. I had T2 wriiten clearly on my notes when I sneaked a look at them....

You should sue, the more stupid people like this are sued the more awareness there will be and hopefully it won't happen again.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I agree with most of your post. I want to clarify that some T1s have that anti-T2 attitude. Most of them are decent towards T2s. I think the number of T1s is irrelevant. Might does not make right.

None of us chose our diabetes, whatever type we have. We're all people with a medical condition. Let's be kind to each other.

It can work the other way as well :rolleyes:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
How many T1's are now above 50? How many check their notes if taken in to A&E To ensure you have people aware of treating hypos etc?

Honestly T1 is recignised as a younger person illness... The NHS fail to recognise that us T1's age as well. Despite clearly myself and my hubby clearly tellin my A&E OF t1 some idiot still wrote in T2.

Inly limited records are available at hospitals. Hard copy records are normally nowadays put to large distribution storage centres and collected overnight for outpatient appointments.

If you turn up at A&E as a 50+ year old T1 you need to check that the notes written by the triage professional reflect accurately.

Last year, I was 56 when I was in A & E, I do think education is desperately needed.

candysweet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
BALLOONS!!!
Spirallina could cure. Not spiralling. Unless you know differently! And I posted prematurely. The question is, am I right to feel so indignant and frustrated that my condition is used as a whipping post and a benchmark judgement that I have somehow caused my own fate by my own hands? I feel so sorry for T2s, and the blame game.
I have a young nephew who is Type 1, and I fully understand the condition, and sympathise with anyone who has to deal with the life threatening condition. At the age of 42, my dad had a massive stroke. He had been diagnosed with familial hypertension, and hyperlipidaemia several years earlier. I immediately (on the advice of health professionals at the time) cut out saturated fats, and in fact, became a vegetarian for the next 30 years, in an attempt to stave off the conditions in myself. It was futile! I have always been active, being in a very busy job, and bringing up my children and grandchildren. When I had my first child, I suffered with pre-eclampsia. My blood pressure was sky high, and I was kept in hospital. I have recently read, whilst researching scholarly articles on Diabetes, that there is some evidence that pre-eclampsia can be a precursor to developing Type 2 later in life, and suggests that any women who suffer with pre-eclampsia should be made aware of this. (Please keep in mind that I was not fat and lazy! ) I eventually went on to develop familial hypertension and hyperlipidaemia,( as did my cousins) This then required me to take a medley of drugs to prevent me going down the same road as my dad (died of heart attack at 51), or having to endure heart surgery like his younger slim, hypertensive brother, at a relatively early age. Research has been done, and suggests that the taking of statins can be connected to the development of Type 2. I have been on statins for years, and I believe that this has contributed to my Diabetes. In fact, I would imagine that there is a connection between the rise in prescribing statins, and the rise in people developing type 2. (there is also a rise in the incidence of Type 1, but unexplained) Not all obese people have type 2, and not all Type 2 are obese! I too am upset and frustrated with the medias rhetoric that "...I have somehow caused my own fate by my own hands..." It has become an added burden, on top of a nasty disease. I now avoid telling people that I'm a diabetic, in case they ask me which type I am, and I have to tell them that I have the type that is totally avoidable, that is going to cause the downfall of the NHS! I'll get off my soapbox now :) (I've been unwell for days, and my sugar levels have risen :-( )
Spirallina could cure. Not spiralling. Unless you know differently! And I posted prematurely. The question is, am I right to feel so indignant and frustrated that my condition is used as a whipping post and a benchmark judgement that I have somehow caused my own fate by my own hands? I feel so sorry for T2s, and the blame game.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
T2 can have ketones at diagnosis, I did that's why they thought I was T1.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
It can work the other way as well :rolleyes:
I believe you, but I don't understand why a T2 would have an issue with people with T1. I would be interested in learning about this. I think it's pathetic, like @mrspuddleduck said, that some in the two groups have issues with the other group. I have nothing but compassion for T1s, as I believe most people on this forum do.

Reactions: 8 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I believe you, but I don't understand why a T2 would have an issue with people with T1. I would be interested in learning about this. I think it's pathetic, like @mrspuddleduck said, that some in the two groups have issues with the other group. I have nothing but compassion for T1s, as I believe most people on this forum do.

I have nothing but compassion for type 2's!!! Just that it scares me when NHS staff treat me as a T2......as our needs from a medical aspect can be so hugely different.

Reactions: 6 people