1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2018 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What Age?

Discussion in 'Prediabetes' started by LilyLabVA, Aug 3, 2018.

1. LilyLabVA

LilyLabVA Other · Member

What age were you when you first found out you had pre-diabetes?

2. jwongcsp

jwongcsp Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

I was 50 years old. Today I'm 63 still pre-D. (My most recent hA1c was 5.8) I went in to see my GP when I turned 50 years old. Part of the routine annual physical exam is what the doctors call a Comprehensive Metabolic Panel blood test. It included the hA1c. My mother was diabetic, therefore ever since I turned 40 I was having my hA1c checked every year. I knew my blood sugar level would go up to the pre-D level but I didn't know when.

What works for me is lots of exercise, eating low carb keto diet and intermittent fasting.

Good luck, it is not easy but well worth the effort.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I was never told.
    Apparently people of my age ought to have an annual review and health check - I never had anything but a check of my thyroid supplementation and a note made that it is OK - I was told to eat a cholesterol lowering diet -cereals and low fat foods, but nothing I would call a check up - as in 'how are you' sort of questioning or interest.
    I was diagnosed as a full blown diabetic due to the wrong tests being ordered, as far as I can work out.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

I was never actually diagnosed as pre-diabetic,but was told at the end of 2013 at age 71 that I was a T2. I was having regular (approx) 6 monthly medical checkup/reviews, and it was apparently picked up in March that year, but I wasn't told until, and had the diagnosis confirmed after, my November review. However, after immediately cutting out all sugary, then al high carb foods, i've had pre-diabetic level HbA1c results since Feb 2014 (see signature) - though I'm identified as well controlled.

Robbity

• Like Like x 1
  5. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I was told by my gp at age 61, the year before I got a HbA1c reading of 49 and was told I was now diabetic.
    My gp didn't explain what it meant, just that it meant I was likely to become diabetic. I didn't take any notice as I thought it was just another 'scare' story, like her telling me that I was in danger of having a heart attack in the next 10 years.

I was probably in the pre-diabetic range long before then. When I got online access to my test results they show that I had readings of 47 for 3 years prior to becoming T2.

I think when I was working in a fairly physical job and walking 3 miles to work every day it kept my bgs down, but when I retired, became more sedentary, and ate and drank more beer, it pushed me over the threshold.

6. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

Some people whizz through Pre-D in months on their way to T2.
    Other's (like myself) see it coming.

I was told I had Pre-D in around 1997 when they noticed it while diagnosing something else. I was 30.
    However, I suspect (am 100% certain) that my blood glucose levels had been dysregulated for many years before that.

Since then, my blood glucose has risen to T2 levels (in around 2012), jangled about a bit, dropped back to Pre-D and now into 'normal'.
    All thanks to low carbing.

It doesn't have to be a one way street, but it depends on a number of factors.

• Informative Informative x 1
    #6 Brunneria, Aug 4, 2018 at 7:45 AM
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  7. Alison Campbell

Alison Campbell Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

I was diagnosed with prediabetes age 36 when I finally went to the doctors. I hated going to the doctors as every problem I had was blamed on my obesity and very little help or diagnosis was offered for my PCOS symptoms.

I had been experiencing hypo like symptoms for about 10 years. When changing diet to low sugar, increasing exercise did not improve matters and it was affecting my work, I made a GP appointment expecting to be diagnosed with diabetes not realising the hypo's I had seen as child in family members were due to insulin medication.

I have online access to my medical records and found my HBA1C at 33 was normal when tested around age 29 following a move to my current surgery.

Thanks to the advice and knowledge on this forum, I was able to stop the symptoms with a lower carb diet, 6 stone weight loss and prevent progression to a type 2 diagnosis for 6 years.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Chez31

Chez31 Prediabetes · Member

Lilylab,
    I had my first abnormal HbA1c at 58 yrs old in February this year .

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook