What Age

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
At what age do you all think a person with Diabetes should stop driving, I know If you're on a long journey, it's important to stop at least every couple of hours to re-check your sugar levels. Also Important to ensure your levels are 5 mm or above but what age do you think it safer to not drive.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t think it is a specific age.

I do, however, strongly believe, that we should only be driving if we have the strength and mobility to drive safely (for instance if arthritis reduces head movement, or arm/hand strength, then driving is no longer safe).

Also reflexes. These slow with age.

Also vision. Distance vision, cataracts, night vision, etc.

These things may deteriorate with age. But people of any age can experience them to the extent they are unsafe to drive.

As I said, I feel pretty strongly about this, having watched two generations of my family move through their 70s and 80s and seen the significant reduction in the safety of their driving.

The changes include
- reduced observation
- reduced road awareness
- reduced car width and position awareness
- slowed braking reaction time
- reduced navigation/familiar road recognition
- and increased stress in busy traffic or at junctions
- also slowing down when other traffic approaches

I am now at the stage when I have begged them not to drive any more and refuse to get into a car with them behind the wheel. This has all been openly discussed, but my opinions are dismissed by the older generation. I suspect because they are unwilling to accept the loss of independence.

That is totally understandable, but if they are not safe on the roads, then they are risking the lives of their passengers and other road users, which I do not think acceptable.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Why would that depend on age? You don't suddenly lose the ability to drive safely on your 85th birthday, with or without diabetes.
I don't know for the UK, but in the Netherlands, after a certain age I think you need a doctor declaring you can still drive safely, just like with diabetes (on medication).

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I'm in my late 60's and have to renew my driving licence every three years but thats because of being on heavy opiates.
Flew through it and a lot of people would benefit from being kept on their toes this way.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Have to agree with the above ...Hope all had a great Christmas