What am I doing wrong

hca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello all, am coming into the second month of being diagnosed type 2 and thought I had every thing under control. Went straight onto Lchf diet, have already lost 11lbs in weight have managed to go into ketosis and stay there and bg levels were averaging 5.9 and less.

Have had eyes tested, and had quick visit with diabetic nurse who told me not to test has arranged for me to attend a Desmond course in the future and sent me on my way.. No bloods, no follow up appointment just we will be in toucch..

Was told not to test and haven't got a machine but work allow me to borrow one at the weekend ( I work in Drs surgery) to test.

Anyway to cut what could be a long rambling story short this weekend I haven't got my bg levels below 6.9 my fasting blood this morning was 9.1 and 2 hours after breakfast of full fat yogurt with raspberries ( about 4) and a coffee with cream it is 8.9.

Am I wrong to be upset and just overly sensitive or am I doing something wrong.

Any advice much appreciated, feel very much on my own and don't to become a diabetic bore with my woes, have tried to be very up beat til now

DevonVee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It will take time. The high in the morning is caused by your liver dumping glucose into your system to get you hunter gathering for your breakfast. Look up dawn phenomenon.
Get your self a meter. Tee 2 or codefree are the cheapest because the strips are cheap. Test any carbs and find what causes a spike. You will be surprised at what you may not tolerate.
The course is very patronising. Get what you can from it but do not worry.
I know it is hard because you are trying to get to grips with so much but take your time.

Reactions: Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all, am coming into the second month of being diagnosed type 2 and thought I had every thing under control. Went straight onto Lchf diet, have already lost 11lbs in weight have managed to go into ketosis and stay there and bg levels were averaging 5.9 and less.

Have had eyes tested, and had quick visit with diabetic nurse who told me not to test has arranged for me to attend a Desmond course in the future and sent me on my way.. No bloods, no follow up appointment just we will be in toucch..

Was told not to test and haven't got a machine but work allow me to borrow one at the weekend ( I work in Drs surgery) to test.

Anyway to cut what could be a long rambling story short this weekend I haven't got my bg levels below 6.9 my fasting blood this morning was 9.1 and 2 hours after breakfast of full fat yogurt with raspberries ( about 4) and a coffee with cream it is 8.9.

Am I wrong to be upset and just overly sensitive or am I doing something wrong.

Any advice much appreciated, feel very much on my own and don't to become a diabetic bore with my woes, have tried to be very up beat til now

do test otherwise you´ll never have normal levels.... and you´ll regret that later on... if you keep your level of carbs under 80gram or maybe 100 grams a day most newly diagnosed type 2 can get back to normal levels or almost on a low carb diet...

but low carb is not just a little lower than one used to be it is very often very much lower than ones before level of eaten carbs...

I think I ate at least 300-400 grams of carbs a day before and far too few vegetables... and much to much fruit ...

if you buy a meter you´ll get control and you´ll be so happy... try just for a month to measure before you eat and 1 hour after and if slow release of carbs due to many fibres and fats then also 1.5 or 2 hours after eating... then you´ll get a precise picture of how the different kind of foods affects you and this you can use to choose the best for you in the future too.. but never forget to measure your mornings numbers all days a year... because then you´ll not slide upwards without knowing it..

good luck with it all.. it does seem you overall have a well almost okay level, if you eat a lot of proteins like more than your body needs , more than ca. 0.8 grams pro kg bodyweight then this excess protein will also be transformed into glucose by your liver... so do not go too high in proteins either , many times that´ll show more in next days readings so maybe there is te reason for your morning surprise of high numbers..

fats are actually the only macro nutrient that does not raise blood glucose...

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Welcome to the forums @hca ,

You might not be happy with your numbers but they are OK(ish). You will lower them over time - some people believe that it's preferable not to lower your glucose levels too quickly anyway.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
diabetic nurse who told me not to test

As she has suggested not testing she must be able to tell you how you can tell if your life style changes are working or does she expect you to wait a year for an HbA1c and she can prescribe more meds.

Please get a meter, you're already borrowing one, might as well buy one. You'll be lucky to get strips prescribed, who knows, you work in the Dr's surgery. It must have some perks. LOL

Reactions: urbanracer

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @hca It sounds to me that you are doing really well so far. This isn't a sprint , it's a marathon, and the lifestyle choices you make now will help you control diabetes your way. I agree with the others. Your own meter would be so useful and better at spotting trends than a few one off tests at work.
That morning liver dump is a problem for lots of us and often the last readings to lower :( Mine used to be in the high 7's and even 8's .. I was doing really well and had got low 6's for a few weeks but I've now got a virus and am stressed with hubby being ill so I'm back to 7.5 this last few days. .. It will sort itself eventually.
Exercise will affect BG differently for some of us too. I'm OK up to 45 minutes fast walking.. it will lower.. Over that time and it starts to rise again.. we are strange creatures !

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You are doing so well, so quickly. Please remember that stress raises levels and cold bugs etc so it might not be anything you can control.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

The only thing you are doing wrong is not testing. It is essential if you are to learn what affects your body, and if you are doing something wrong with your food, a meter (and food diary) will tell you which foods are causing problems, if any.

Well done on that excellent weight loss. You must feel better for it. Keep on being upbeat and you will soon crack this. :)

If your surgery follows the correct NICE recommendations for the diabetic care pathway you should be having a full blood check 3 months after your last one, or thereabouts. Some surgeries send out letters. Others don't. So you need to keep on top of this. Does your surgery put test results on line? English surgeries were supposed to have done this by April 2016 although some are being slow to do this. If yours does, find out how to access them. Failing that, get print outs of your last tests.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Great job!! And welcome.

One thing I don't think I saw mentioned was excess protein can raise bs from last nights dinner. Your last meal can effect your next meal. And dinner can effect your fasting. Snacking on nuts before bed is a sure high fast for me. As is any form of carbs.
Mornings can be a ******. I get waking phenomenon and I keep rising until after noon. It's much worse if I don't eat at all so I do have bf as soon as I get up. Some people do better with fasting or just coffee and cream. You'd have to get a meter to find out what works for you.

I could never eat 40 crabs at a meal but that's just me. I stay under 20 per day and need to stay in ketosis or weight goes on and energy drops.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For me, what happens in the morning between 7 am and 10 am is pretty much a function of how late I ate and how much !
if I stop eating at 7 it is usually around 4.2 , it I stop eating at 11 it is is closer to 7.