What Annoying Things Have People Said About Your Diabetes?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
My family (mum and sisters) eat sweet snacks and junk snacks when I'm at my mums and say "we know you can't have any but they're really nice".
So i turn up with cooked chicken and pork scratchings to nibble... if I fancy something, on top of a cooked Sunday meal. Which to be honest I don't get cravings anymore so I tunk into my chilled lemonade and ice. Taking my snacks back home for another day.
I do pity brazen fools now. Never used to but I do now. Its their attitude which brings the worst out in me not their uneducated words. My family other than on my father's side are not very educated people. Sometimes I can joke with them but I definitely don't think so plainly/basic in my thinking.
They don't understand much about the topics I like to read about. They used to mock my law degree books.
They never mock my success thou, as I don't tell them of any I have. :(
They haven't a clue. So I get the last laugh.
It could be so different to that but they cannot keep up.
They can now walk faster than me but my mind hasn't stopped thinking.... yet.

Reactions: Freema

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tattoos, carers calling me lovey or duckie when I've only just met them
Just received after 8 months my care plan from care agency. Long running story, my carer is excellent but the office and manager couldn't organise anything. Have written twice to complain, met their "quality officer" a very untidy, scruffy young woman with very long painted fingernails and tattoos who informed me that when my carer was off she would come and do my care, whereupon I told her that she wouldn't as I wouldn't have her fingernails anywhere near me and if my normal carer couldn't come I would go without and my partner would get me washed and dressed before he went to work at 6.30 am. This was in February she had come to write the care plan. She told me she'd never met anyone with as many illnesses and asked some very unnecessary questions and could only explain that as it was on her form she had to ask and at no time did she ask for my consent. This week had yet another idiot from the office telephone me to ask some questions when I've told them never to ring me and to email. I'm deaf and can't hear very well on the telephone. He didn't even get my name right. So I wrote to their managing director, recorded delivery. He said he was ashamed of his organisation and is coming to see my husband and I next week, bringing the local manager who has ignored my letters with him.
Anyhow my carer arrived today with this huge folder and said its your care plan. We went through it and huge mistakes, bad spelling appalling grammar and lies everywhere. In the back was their care plan for my diabetes including the phrase
"Type 2 is caused by bad lifestyle and can easily be reversed by losing weight and eating a high carbohydrate diet" and referencing NICE guidelines. Neither of us could decide whether to laugh or cry and that was before we read the bit about my dog and said that he had to keep himself clean, be bathed regularly and not have bad habits! Had my carer not been so good I would have stopped the care even though I don't want to have to get up at 5.30 every morning so that my partner can get me ready before he goes to work.
Apologies for the long winded rant but is it true that not all type 2 can be reversed or go into remission? Does anyone else suffer from so called care agencies that don't care?

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
6 weeks ago I was one of the ignorant people and might have said something silly myself if I got talking to a diabetic. But I’ve never heard anyone say “I have type 2” out loud.
Now I’m one of the educated ones struggling with telling people about it, because I’m nervous about the stigma and angry about the diagnosis and not ready to deal with all these questions. So far only 3 people and my healthcare team know.
The silliest thing one of the 3 has said (about blood testing): “i think you like having a new gadget to play with”.
I like this thread a lot. It might make it easier.

Reactions: DJC3 and AloeSvea

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've heard it all, and after 28 years, I'm (mostly) deaf to the ignorance. I do find that whenever I meet someone new, and they ask about my diabetes, I have to explain the difference between Type 1 and Type 2 (I know there are others, but let's not overwhelm the poor darlings), often in painstakingly simple terms. It's just par for the course, and I just accept it as one of those things we have to live with, like blood tests, hypos, rainy days, dropping your breakfast on the floor, stubbing your toes on the furniture...

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When people say you dont look like a diabetic and how well you look .and when you tell them you dont feel very well they look at you as if your lying

Reactions: DJC3

james11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Other member on here : "you only been taking insulin for 5 years...you know nothing and aren't really ill enough to be on this site" true...this post will probably be taken down shortly

Reactions: dbr10

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Well there was the time my neurologist said diabetes is unimportant. He did mean comparatively, but it did rankle as it was important to me.

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I sat in on an endocrinology seminar once (i.e. aimed at clinicians) where a well-respected diabetes consultant opened with a statement along the lines of, diabetes is worse than cancer; at least with cancer, there is hope of recovery in many cases, whereas there is no hope of a cure for diabetes, more likely a steady decline in health. At least Type 1, anyway. A bit grim, but he had a point, I think.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I sat in on an endocrinology seminar once (i.e. aimed at clinicians) where a well-respected diabetes consultant opened with a statement along the lines of, diabetes is worse than cancer; at least with cancer, there is hope of recovery in many cases, whereas there is no hope of a cure for diabetes, more likely a steady decline in health. At least Type 1, anyway. A bit grim, but he had a point, I think.

Sorry, can't agree there. We can all control our diabetes, with diet and/or medication. We cannot control cancer. But I don't want an argument about this. Speak to most diabetics that has been through or is going through cancer. Cure or no cure.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Just received after 8 months my care plan from care agency. Long running story, my carer is excellent but the office and manager couldn't organise anything. Have written twice to complain, met their "quality officer" a very untidy, scruffy young woman with very long painted fingernails and tattoos who informed me that when my carer was off she would come and do my care, whereupon I told her that she wouldn't as I wouldn't have her fingernails anywhere near me and if my normal carer couldn't come I would go without and my partner would get me washed and dressed before he went to work at 6.30 am. This was in February she had come to write the care plan. She told me she'd never met anyone with as many illnesses and asked some very unnecessary questions and could only explain that as it was on her form she had to ask and at no time did she ask for my consent. This week had yet another idiot from the office telephone me to ask some questions when I've told them never to ring me and to email. I'm deaf and can't hear very well on the telephone. He didn't even get my name right. So I wrote to their managing director, recorded delivery. He said he was ashamed of his organisation and is coming to see my husband and I next week, bringing the local manager who has ignored my letters with him.
Anyhow my carer arrived today with this huge folder and said its your care plan. We went through it and huge mistakes, bad spelling appalling grammar and lies everywhere. In the back was their care plan for my diabetes including the phrase
"Type 2 is caused by bad lifestyle and can easily be reversed by losing weight and eating a high carbohydrate diet" and referencing NICE guidelines. Neither of us could decide whether to laugh or cry and that was before we read the bit about my dog and said that he had to keep himself clean, be bathed regularly and not have bad habits! Had my carer not been so good I would have stopped the care even though I don't want to have to get up at 5.30 every morning so that my partner can get me ready before he goes to work.
Apologies for the long winded rant but is it true that not all type 2 can be reversed or go into remission? Does anyone else suffer from so called care agencies that don't care?

Get in touch with Social Services and tell them to move you to a different care provider. I had a similar to-do with my first company and it resulted in a decline in my health so I got on the phone. Good luck.

Reactions: AloeSvea

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What hope is there if clinicians are comparing Diabetes with Cancer. Its just not on.

Reactions: Ziggy2017

Ermintrude775

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
"It's good your daughters not fat she's 18 now it means she won't get it". Heard this from my in law asked her what she meant. "It was on a poster at work" she told me I asked what exactly the poster said turns out it was talking about type 2 diabetes not the type 1 I have had since before I met them.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
"It's good your daughters not fat she's 18 now it means she won't get it". Heard this from my in law asked her what she meant. "It was on a poster at work" she told me I asked what exactly the poster said turns out it was talking about type 2 diabetes not the type 1 I have had since before I met them.
Doh!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I've heard it all, and after 28 years, I'm (mostly) deaf to the ignorance. I do find that whenever I meet someone new, and they ask about my diabetes, I have to explain the difference between Type 1 and Type 2 (I know there are others, but let's not overwhelm the poor darlings), often in painstakingly simple terms. It's just par for the course, and I just accept it as one of those things we have to live with, like blood tests, hypos, rainy days, dropping your breakfast on the floor, stubbing your toes on the furniture...

You left out bruising your knuckles on a pig ignorant face.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Talking HBA1c numbers with a family member. She had been prediabetic now out of the zone (I have had a range! Starting at 93, now in mid 40s for some years).

Family member: I told my doctor what your HBA1c was, and he told me you should be dead.

I am not usually left speechless. But I was. Particularly strange as we were on the phone. Since then, I have thought about it a lot. The word "dead" as in too early is kinda what we are all trying to avoid, after all. So "annoying" is as good a word for my reaction (long term) as any! :cat:

(I really like her, so I forgive her. But I guess we won't be discussing HBA1cs again, which may have been her point, lol.)

Reactions: Colin of Kent

Davie_sett

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I once had a chemist/ pharmacy worker not wanting to sell me tablets because they had a sugar coating

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
Someone at a gas station just yesterday questioned my pump as a pager. He was laughing that I wore a pager. Explaining insulin pump to someone who doesn’t know would have taken a long time, so for him I said yes it was a pager. For his assertiveness and ignorance, it just seemed easier.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Most of the annoying things said to me about T2 have been said on this site grrrr. The worst was fairly recently when someone told me I was being a martyr to diabetes because I wouldn't accept a free chocolate that I didn't want anyway. ***. Then someone else agreed with him. I eat carbs when I choose to do so, not when someone in a shop wants me to do so. If that's being a martyr.... grrrr. :mad: