What are typical T2 fasting levels?

PickledPepper

My fasting levels (by this I mean the reading upon waking), are on the rise!

I would like to ask other T2 forum members what kind of figures they get in the morning.

Lately I've been squarely in the mid to late 6 range. This doesn't sound too good.

Maybe I do need to get back on Metformin?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
It doesn't sound too bad at all to me. A 'tad' higher maybe ? However, it is within the guideline figures (between 4 - 7) for a both Type 2 and Type 1 Diabetic's issued by NICE.

If you feel unhappy at those levels then you would have to try and find out what is raising the level.
I don't think there is such a thing as a typical T2 anyway........we are all different and many would see those levels as nothing to be concerned about, however there are also those who strive for non-Diabetic levels. Their choice.

Personally my fasting levels are within those guideline figures, usually around 5 - 6 mmol/l. It doesn't bother me too much if I get the odd one that is slightly higher. I am usually able to put it down to something, maybe that I ate/drank the night before or just good old DP ! I certainly wouldn't be concerned at the odd 6+. If I am that 'high' in the morning then I would just lower the carb intake at breakfast to counter it.

Ken

C

catherinecherub

Hi PP,
It is really like asking how long is a piece of string?
If you are striving for very low numbers then take Ken's advice.
I am very often in the low 6's when I get up. I make sure that I have breakfast early and my levels soon get back to where I want them. Pehaps you are impatient to get where you want to be and you are still experimenting with food. You have not been diagnosed very long and it does take a while to get things sorted.
You also have to remember that there are so many factors that play a part in your levels, stress, exercise, times between meals, portion size, whether the meal is balanced etc. You could eat the same things at the same time every day and your levels would not be the same every day.

PickledPepper

Thanks for that guys.

I guess I just feel that I am 'skirting' those guidelines to often! lol

I do frequently end up eating very late and I'm sure this doesn't help.

Talos

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfriendly people, MP's,
Mine are typically 5.7-6.1 usually taken first thing on waking at about 6.30am,
and I am a late snacker too, but i try to not eat after 9 Pm :)

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Recently mine have varied between 4.3 and 6.2. Usually in the 5s. After breakfast (2 hours after) they are between 4.7 and 6.7. In the evening I eat between 7 and 8. Hope this is useful. :)

squishychickfi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
curry or anything spicy, snakes and mosquitos!
Having read this - I presume my BG at 9 is not good then :roll: back to the drawing board!

rosgrech

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Me too - a year on and I am still struggling with levels which are around 8-10 during the day if I am lucky and I just don't take one on waking because it is notoriously high at between 9 and 12+. :shock:

Off for my annual review next week so will see what my latest HBA1c and other results are like. I may be surprised :eek: or not! :(

I'd give anything to be regularly 6 during the day - low GI, low carbs and all.