what are you reading? what do you like to read?

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How embarrassing is it that my ten year old son and I read the same books. Things like Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Harry potter is my favourite! Has been since I was a kid.

My mum doesn't read often but she loves the Harry potter movies

Blogging at drivendiabetic.wordpress.com

Reactions: 4 people
N

NicolaB70

I read just about anything. I absolutely love reading. My favourite authors are Cathy Glass, Elizabeth Elgin, Sophie Kinsella and I've recently just found an author called Terri Douglas, (whose books I've now all read), writes funny laugh out loud stories. I was devasted last year as my kindle just died on me. Amazon were great and sent me a free replacement kindle. I think my kindle has got to be one of my favourite gadgets I own as it's easy to store, carry, never lose your page your on and don't have to worry about taking books with me when going away.

Reactions: 5 people

captainpixie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots, bullies,politicians, David Cameron, Nick Clegg, Ian Duncan smith, racist, homophobes, people unwilling to learn, to tolerate, to listen and in turn be listened too. animal abuser's and people who just don't think about what they say and how it can or could affect the people around them.
How embarrassing is it that my ten year old son and I read the same books. Things like Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings!

That's not embarrassing at ALL! myself, my best friend and her kids are always swapping book's (I really should start up a list of who has what) my whole collection of 'Horrible Histories' is currently residing on my best friends second eldest's bookshelf, I'll get them back at some point I've been told lol

captainpixie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots, bullies,politicians, David Cameron, Nick Clegg, Ian Duncan smith, racist, homophobes, people unwilling to learn, to tolerate, to listen and in turn be listened too. animal abuser's and people who just don't think about what they say and how it can or could affect the people around them.
I read just about anything. I absolutely love reading. My favourite authors are Cathy Glass, Elizabeth Elgin, Sophie Kinsella and I've recently just found an author called Terri Douglas, (whose books I've now all read), writes funny laugh out loud stories. I was devasted last year as my kindle just died on me. Amazon were great and sent me a free replacement kindle. I think my kindle has got to be one of my favourite gadgets I own as it's easy to store, carry, never lose your page your on and don't have to worry about taking books with me when going away.

I own a kindle for two reasons. 1) there not as likely to be damaged if I drop it (I have the rubber case from hell on it) or get banged up or destroyed or left behind, 2) I have too many books, I have NO room for any more (not that it stops me generally) plus it's lighter to haul around. I love books, the feel and smell, yummy :)

Reactions: 3 people
C

catherinecherub

Biographies and Autobiographies with the exception of people who have been made celebrities because of their appearance on TV reality shows.

Anything on Psychology, just finished reading Games People Play by E, Berne MD. We all play games in situations in life, consciously or unconsciously.

Books on Art.

Books on Politics.

Reactions: 2 people

nuttybeaver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Selfish people
I love books but not the e-readers, I like the feel of a book. I'm currently reading Marian Keyes but my favourite author is Dickens. I also love true stories like Cathy Glass & Torey Hayden. My son recently got me into Game Of Thrones too (read the 1st) & I love it.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
I love reading, Classic lit: RLStevenson, Walter Scott, etc. modern: Tom Clancy, David Eddings, Wilbur Smith, Clive Custler. Sci Fi Old & modern. text books, I read them all.
Downstairs study has~45 m of book shelves!

Reactions: 4 people

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to read far more than I do now... but I still do love a good book (or ebook).

Currently reading a Judy Garland biography, which is a total deviation from the norm for me.. but I downloaded it after watching Wizard of Oz then googling about her life.
I like Karin Slaughter, Diane Chamberlain, James Patterson, Linda Castillo, Neil Gaiman, Jodi Picoult, Tess Gerritsen, Toni Morrison, Sue Monk Kidd, Marian Keyes, Fannie Flagg, and probably loads more that I've forgotten.
My secret indulgences that I wouldn't admit to in person were The Hunger Games, Twilight, and I'm sad to say I WAS an adult when the Harry Potter books were released, and I still enjoyed them.

My favourite books are The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd, Cane River by Lalita Tademy, The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver... but my alltime favourite read is Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell.

I mostly listen to audiobooks these days. Where that's concerned, anything goes. I tend to download whatever is on sale on itunes.

roland b

I'm reading The Hero with a Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell. An awesome read on the similarities of world myths and how most story protagonists are just derivatives of a core proto-hero story. It's heavy stuff to say the least.

captainpixie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
I'm reading The Hero with a Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell. An awesome read on the similarities of world myths and how most story protagonists are just derivatives of a core proto-hero story. It's heavy stuff to say the least.
sounds like a good read :)

K

Kat100

Lucy atkins .....author

Title ......the lost one

A really good thriller ....
Have just started a book club thread ....did not see this thread......love love love books and a good read x

K

Kat100

Biographies and Autobiographies with the exception of people who have been made celebrities because of their appearance on TV reality shows.

Anything on Psychology, just finished reading Games People Play by E, Berne MD. We all play games in situations in life, consciously or unconsciously.

Books on Art.

Books on Politics.
The games people play , goodness that is a book from my past , can't remember it all now , but I used you know that book inside out

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
No need to embarrassed for reading good literature! I have read both at least ten times!
Tolkien is great literature but Harry potter!!!!!! Oh no,Totto! How could you?! I have had numerous arguments with the English department at our school about Harry Potter! Susan Cooper, CS Lewis please!
My own preference is for Henning Mankell (the Wallander novels, although the Return of the Dansing Master was awesome!), Jo Nesbø, Peter Hoeg, (everything!) and the hilarious stories of Stephanie Plum by Janet Evanovitch.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
The games people play , goodness that is a book from my past , can't remember it all now , but I used you know that book inside out
Hi Kat, how are you? Office politics by Oliver James is fairly amazing!

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I tend to read a lot of fantasy books - currently reading the unsuspecting mage - nice piece of escapism

I do a lot of audio books in the car - you can get many for free at podiobooks.com - there are some really good ones and some absolute rubbish

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tolkien is great literature but Harry potter!!!!!! Oh no,Totto! How could you?! I have had numerous arguments with the English department at our school about Harry Potter! Susan Cooper, CS Lewis please!
My own preference is for Henning Mankell (the Wallander novels, although the Return of the Dansing Master was awesome!), Jo Nesbø, Peter Hoeg, (everything!) and the hilarious stories of Stephanie Plum by Janet Evanovitch.
Sorry to disappoint you but the Harry Potter books are quite good literature too. Good enough for me, an advanced reader of fifty years (or maybe a little less) and would choose Rowlings over Evanovitch a hundred times.

Mankell is boring. Or anyway his Wallander books are. I get so tired of all these middle-aged cops, Swedish or British, who listen to opera and complain about what the world has come to without having any solutions just pouring out bile.

Give me Dalziel and I will be happy, always.