Type 2 What can I eat?

Dickensfan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Dickensfan, Welcome to the forum best place for you to be. Lots of supportive and friendly people on here who will answer your many questions with good advice if they can we all have diabetes but some of us can tolerate different foods, so try and test 2 hrs after you have eaten. Here I go again, I tell every new member this please go to the forum " What Have You Eaten Today " it is a good forum especially for people who are struggling in what to eat. A lot of us put our daily meals on there and has some good ideas for us all to try. Good luck stick with us we are all in the same boat, you will not get better advice than on this site.:):)

Hi there, I don't think I'll struggle once I know what I'm doing, the thing is, and I think it's common, we are told we have the condition, and are prescribed for it, but we are not told anything else. Anyway, that aside, I have just been to the dietdoctor.com site, and joined up for the 2 week (just to get me started) LCHF diet, which looks good and does both things, reduces your blood sugar and aids in the weight loss. Now the thing is, I probably won't bother with recipes, instead I've written down the shopping list, but all the veg mentioned by the guy, is the only veggies that I already buy, in the past I rarely had potatoes, but often had pasta - since diagnoses I've not eaten white bread or pasta or rice at all, so I'm already mentally in tune with that. I'm surprised I can have real cream, but there were few other shocks in the video for me, even the nuts which in the past I only occasionally ate, I already like brazils, macadamia, pecans and walnuts - all the other nuts I don't really like so wouldn't have bought them, every once in a while I'd buy cashews, but by no means did they form part of my normal eating habit. Sometimes when you mention certain foods to people they seem to form the opinion that these are part of your normal daily or weekly consumption, but in my case this is not so, there are some things I may eat literally once in a blue moon when the notion takes me, it could be once in six months or once a year - say at Christmas etc.

Anyway, I think from what I've seen on the video and the copious notes I've taken, I can get off to a good start on Sunday.

Reactions: 6 people

Dickensfan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Points taken of course, but perhaps what I wanted to stress was the fact that all those years ago, we didn't eat a lot of starches. Certainly there were few 'simple carbs' such as bread, other pastries and refined sugar. I eat carbs, but only green vegetables, and an occasional serving of beans.

As an aside, because of the belief that fat is a problem, there is something dietitians might have overlooked. The fact is that whilst most 'junk/fast food' is a serving of meat, the biggest part of the 'dish' is bread, or a portion of french fries. (nothing to do with France BTW; but potatoes that have been 'frenched' into slices! ) Other examples are pizzas, again mostly pastry; hot dogs; served on a bread roll; a donna kebab; served in a pitta bread; (with a salad, healthy enough but carbs again.) A nourishing piece of cod; served in flour-batter with a portion of chips!

In other words when you eat fast food you consume a sizable amount of starchy carbs. With that in mind, I think it's no great leap of the imagination to suspect starch as the villain. So, maybe it's not the burger that does the damage, but the bun"! As recently as the 1980s, you could buy a loaf called 'Slimcea', a starch reduced bread for dieters. Maybe you still can buy it. If these days wholemeal bread is suddenly a healthy option, why was it then considered good to reduce its starch?

The dictate for diabetics was once a resounding, NO STARCH! What has changed? Economic s I think. The grain industry suddenly got bigger. Wholemeal bread is different to white bread only in the roughage it contains. So to me, bread is bread! A dollop of starch, and I consider it to be the Staff of Death rather than life! :(

PS .. I would eat bread if that's all there was, but only in that unlikely scenario!
Cheers.
Phub (John). :)
Afternoon John - yes I remember Slimcea, but you know in those days we didn't know any better, and it is my own personal belief that the reason sadly we see so many young kids and young teens up to 20s so obese is not so much to do with sugary drinks, but because we now have had for a few years (when the problems started) all these American fast food outlets which we never had before - I loathe them, and I can tell you now, I've never had a pizza, I've never had a Kentucky fried chicken or a Macdonald's anything, I'm not and never was into fast food. I am from a family of women who cook (Italian and Maltese background) meal times were and are special, and I'm a good cook, but I can't be bothered now with faffing around, so I won't do it.

I was born in 1948 up to the 50s, 60s and beyond we had simple food without additives, and we grew a lot of it ourselves. My father came from Kent, holidays were gorgeous in Kent - rural Kent, my grandparents grew every piece of fruit and veg, the baker and the butcher delivered on their respective bikes, and oh how I miss those lovely times, both my grandparents cooked with a ate a lot of fats - they both lived till their 90s so that tells me something.

I so enjoyed watching the chap at Dietdoctor.com so I'm due to start LCHF on Sunday, I have my shopping list.

As for the thing I mentioned before, I lived and worked in the States for a year 1967-68 I saw people there that I'd never seen before in my travels thoughout the UK they were huge, needing in some cases 2 chairs to sit on, we never saw that over here, there was an abundance of fast food places, as there are here now - and I'll never be convinced otherwise, that this is the main culprit for so many obese people here now.

I used to be a smoker until 15th march 2013, I just suddenly stopped, I didn't use aid's of any kind, just will power, unfortunately the side effect of that was that I gained a lot of weight, which has been so slow to move and I loathe it, and how it's made me feel, so I shall be so pleased if the LCHF works for me.

Just a thought, I noticed at the diet doc site they talk about shredded cheese - one has to assume they mean grated - any ideas, I also didn't notice salad dressings with oil and balsamic which I love, as opposed to mayo, I find it difficult to eat a salad without a dressing - and I love salads.

Last edited by a moderator:

seadragon

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I so enjoyed watching the chap at Dietdoctor.com so I'm due to start LCHF on Sunday, I have my shopping list.

As for the thing I mentioned before, I lived and worked in the States for a year 1967-68 I saw people there that I'd never seen before in my travels thoughout the UK they were huge, needing in some cases 2 chairs to sit on, we never saw that over here, there was an abundance of fast food places, as there are here now - and I'll never be convinced otherwise, that this is the main culprit for so many obese people here now.

I used to be a smoker until 15th march 2013, I just suddenly stopped, I didn't use aid's of any kind, just will power, unfortunately the side effect of that was that I gained a lot of weight, which has been so slow to move and I loathe it, and how it's made me feel, so I shall be so pleased if the LCHF works for me.

Just a thought, I noticed at the diet doc site they talk about shredded cheese - one has to assume they mean grated - any ideas, I also didn't notice salad dressings with oil and balsamic which I love, as opposed to mayo, I find it difficult to eat a salad without a dressing - and I love salads.

Glad you liked dietdoctor - I was very impressed and having sat through many very dodgy presentations about health online it was refreshing to find one that made sense, wasn't selling anything and gave you all the links to the science behind it. He has some great interviews with various people with the most up to date research on diets and health.

If you see an NHS dietician just smile and nod and ignore them if they want you to eat starchy carbs with every meal - it's easier than trying to challenge them. Once you have success on low carb high fat you can go back and tell them how you did it. there area few enlightened ones about but I think they have to stick to official NHS line or they'd probably be sacked, so it must be difficult for them.

Good luck with the new way of eating. Pretty sure shredded cheese just means grated. The main thing is you can enjoy full fat cheese. And olive oil and balsamic vinegar seems a good salad dressing to me. I've been looking for a mayonnaise that uses olive rather than rapeseed oil but no luck so far - might have to try making my own! I like quite a few of the recipes but with a bit of experience and knowing what has carbs and which are the good fats it gets easier to swap things out if you don't like something.

Just to add that it seems even supermarkets are getting the low carb message as you can now buy cauliflower rice and spiralised courgettes (courgette) though I recommend buy in your own spiraliser - its' fun to do and makes good low cab veggies seem more fun.
also if looking for a nice meal out I found both Prezzo and Loch Fyne chains do some good low carb dishes. Prezzo have chicken breasts with mushrooms and salad so you can still go along even if everyone wants Pizza! And Loch Fyne let you choose a main (if you decide to start eating fish anyway) and you can choose some sides so I've had seabass in a buttery sauce and instead of fries or potatoes i have the samphire in butter and other veg and sometimes a few courgette fritters - delicious but they do have some carbs in the batter. Hopefully more and more restaurants will start to cater for those of us who have seen the light! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Dickensfan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Glad you liked dietdoctor - I was very impressed and having sat through many very dodgy presentations about health online it was refreshing to find one that made sense, wasn't selling anything and gave you all the links to the science behind it. He has some great interviews with various people with the most up to date research on diets and health.

If you see an NHS dietician just smile and nod and ignore them if they want you to eat starchy carbs with every meal - it's easier than trying to challenge them. Once you have success on low carb high fat you can go back and tell them how you did it. there area few enlightened ones about but I think they have to stick to official NHS line or they'd probably be sacked, so it must be difficult for them.

Good luck with the new way of eating. Pretty sure shredded cheese just means grated. The main thing is you can enjoy full fat cheese. And olive oil and balsamic vinegar seems a good salad dressing to me. I've been looking for a mayonnaise that uses olive rather than rapeseed oil but no luck so far - might have to try making my own! I like quite a few of the recipes but with a bit of experience and knowing what has carbs and which are the good fats it gets easier to swap things out if you don't like something.

Just to add that it seems even supermarkets are getting the low carb message as you can now buy cauliflower rice and spiralised courgettes (courgette) though I recommend buy in your own spiraliser - its' fun to do and makes good low cab veggies seem more fun.
also if looking for a nice meal out I found both Prezzo and Loch Fyne chains do some good low carb dishes. Prezzo have chicken breasts with mushrooms and salad so you can still go along even if everyone wants Pizza! And Loch Fyne let you choose a main (if you decide to start eating fish anyway) and you can choose some sides so I've had seabass in a buttery sauce and instead of fries or potatoes i have the samphire in butter and other veg and sometimes a few courgette fritters - delicious but they do have some carbs in the batter. Hopefully more and more restaurants will start to cater for those of us who have seen the light! :)
Hi Seadragon
Before I had my tea tonight, which was quickie I just had chicken leg, tomatoes followed by the remainder of my greek yoghurt. As I said before I was for the most part of my life vegetarian but towards the end of last year, I started to add fish and chicken, so I can do fine with them, actually I love fish and chicken, but I always remember my mother telling me when I was a teenager that she always knew I was vegetarian because she could not get me to eat meat, including chicken, turkey etc from around the age of 4 or 5 which ofcourse I don't remember, but as I'm getting older I just decided not knowing that I had type 2 that I would get by with chicken and fish. Having said all of this, I downloaded week 1 and 2 of the diet doctor programme, but to be honest there is a great deal on there that I would have to miss out on, because I refuse to eat them, so I won't even use the recipes, I'll just do chicken and fish with tomato puree lemon tinned chopped tomatoes, veg etc. There are a great many things on there whilst I'm sure many people would enjoy them and would like to follow the recipes - it's just not for me, even home made burgers or pizza is of no interest to me, so what I was looking for was simply a list of 'can eat' and make up my own meals from that - which I think will be ok. I'm glad I can have full fat cream with my berries LoL ain't that fun or what!
do you live in the UK seadragon?
I also notice someone said dietdoctor was Swedish, and the guy on the video did have an accent, but I was baffled because all of the wording and terms used are most definitely American.

seadragon

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Seadragon
Before I had my tea tonight, which was quickie I just had chicken leg, tomatoes followed by the remainder of my greek yoghurt. As I said before I was for the most part of my life vegetarian but towards the end of last year, I started to add fish and chicken, so I can do fine with them, actually I love fish and chicken, but I always remember my mother telling me when I was a teenager that she always knew I was vegetarian because she could not get me to eat meat, including chicken, turkey etc from around the age of 4 or 5 which ofcourse I don't remember, but as I'm getting older I just decided not knowing that I had type 2 that I would get by with chicken and fish. Having said all of this, I downloaded week 1 and 2 of the diet doctor programme, but to be honest there is a great deal on there that I would have to miss out on, because I refuse to eat them, so I won't even use the recipes, I'll just do chicken and fish with tomato puree lemon tinned chopped tomatoes, veg etc. There are a great many things on there whilst I'm sure many people would enjoy them and would like to follow the recipes - it's just not for me, even home made burgers or pizza is of no interest to me, so what I was looking for was simply a list of 'can eat' and make up my own meals from that - which I think will be ok. I'm glad I can have full fat cream with my berries LoL ain't that fun or what!
do you live in the UK seadragon?
I also notice someone said dietdoctor was Swedish, and the guy on the video did have an accent, but I was baffled because all of the wording and terms used are most definitely American.

Hi yes I am in UK - based partly in Berkshire and partly (as much as i can ) in the west of Wales on the coast. The diet doctor is definitely Swedish but I guess he is probably aiming at an international market (and The USA could really do with following his advise for sure!). The low carb forum on here is useful for ideas of what to eat. i have to confess I am very lazy so having found a few things I like and can eat I just have them over and over! i did try some baking with coconut flour - the blueberry muffins were lovely, but rarely can be bothered to do that. so breakfast every day is egg - boiled usually with butter ,or scrambled or omelette if I can be bothered. Lunch is salad with bits of cheese or smoked salmon or cocktail sausages or cold chicken or whatever is left from previous night. dinner is usually meat or fish with veggies stir-fried in coconut oil and then creme fraiche added with a quarter teaspoon of Dijon mustard and some Peri-peri spice for a bit of heat. I use a lot of mushrooms, kale, red peppers, courgette, aubergines, cauliflower (riced sometimes). i d love my berries and double cream for afters and I usually have a bit of dark chocolate with it as well. chocolate is good for us! oh and I regularly drink a glass or two of red wine an was very happy to discover that is acceptable on lchf! Enjoy!
Edited to add - I see you are in Scotland - I lived in Aberdeen for 5 years in the 80's and we quite often go back in the spring (hubby is avid bird watcher) to the islands and for the Edinburgh fringe festival in summer.

Dickensfan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi yes I am in UK - based partly in Berkshire and partly (as much as i can ) in the west of Wales on the coast. The diet doctor is definitely Swedish but I guess he is probably aiming at an international market (and The USA could really do with following his advise for sure!). The low carb forum on here is useful for ideas of what to eat. i have to confess I am very lazy so having found a few things I like and can eat I just have them over and over! i did try some baking with coconut flour - the blueberry muffins were lovely, but rarely can be bothered to do that. so breakfast every day is egg - boiled usually with butter ,or scrambled or omelette if I can be bothered. Lunch is salad with bits of cheese or smoked salmon or cocktail sausages or cold chicken or whatever is left from previous night. dinner is usually meat or fish with veggies stir-fried in coconut oil and then creme fraiche added with a quarter teaspoon of Dijon mustard and some Peri-peri spice for a bit of heat. I use a lot of mushrooms, kale, red peppers, courgette, aubergines, cauliflower (riced sometimes). i d love my berries and double cream for afters and I usually have a bit of dark chocolate with it as well. chocolate is good for us! oh and I regularly drink a glass or two of red wine an was very happy to discover that is acceptable on lchf! Enjoy!
Edited to add - I see you are in Scotland - I lived in Aberdeen for 5 years in the 80's and we quite often go back in the spring (hubby is avid bird watcher) to the islands and for the Edinburgh fringe festival in summer.
i don't go anywhere now, but often folk at work used to always ask 'how was the festival?" because they knew I loved it and when time allowed I would not miss it - Edinburgh comes to life at that time. I've never been to Aberdeen, but have an ex-colleague who lives there, we keep in touch via phone and facebook he's a really nice guy.

When i read your reply to me, it sounds as if you're a bit like me, because if I find something on the LCHF I like and is quick and easy, I'll repeat it over and over, I do love food, and its a nice comfort to feel I can have cream after my evening meal with Berries which I love. I'm going shopping tomorrow roughly from the list for week 1 I downloaded, but there's an awful llot I just won't buy because apart from anything else, it will be a waste of money, and I know some things will just lie and rot in the fridge so best not to buy it. I'll go and have a look at that forum which I keep forgetting about. I must buy some creme fraiche, its something I never think about, I see from the list that coconut oil is there too, and my favourite nuts are on the list - the others I don't care for, just as well as they're higher.

Dickensfan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i'm going to do my food shopping at Morrisons today but i'm basically buying all the items I normally buy, but instead of the usual fruits and berries, I'm only buying berries, still amazes me that you can have butter and full fat yoghurt and double cream, but otherwise i'm a big stuck for what to have for desserts which I do fancy sometimes. I looked throught the LCHF diet and downloaded it, bu no matter how good they say it is, there are just somethings I'll never in a lifetime eat, so no stock in a cup for me, no beef, lamb or pork with the exception of the odd sausage, bacon with my eggs, i do love eggs, but because I won't be taking half of what's suggested I hope the diet works and I'm not wasting both time and money, above all else I have to lose weight, I just want my life back to where it was five years ago.

seadragon

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck with it all and have a look at the "What did you eat today thread" for some good ideas of LCHF meals. Also the website "Ditchthecarbs.com is good for inspirations for food and recipes and peoples stories. They also have a Facebook page. My whole family have taken to it now although I as the only one on the pre-diabetic scale and between four of us we have lost over 5stone and none of us were actually 'overweight' to start with if you go by BMI (which I don't really). son now had abs to be proud of, hubby is in trousers 2" smaller in the waist, daughter can fit into things she hasn't worn for years and I'm now a size 10 not a 14.
Diet is the most important but I also added exercise in the form of High Intensity interval training as it can be done and dusted in 5 mins a day and then some weight training ( I can do a chin up now which I have never been able to do before in my life). At the beginning I tried to commit to two 20 minute walks a day (after meals if possible as it helps to use up any carbs you have eaten and if they get used up straight away they can't convert to fat stored in the body.)
Enjoy the new lifestyle and the new you that will result!

Dickensfan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good luck with it all and have a look at the "What did you eat today thread" for some good ideas of LCHF meals. Also the website "Ditchthecarbs.com is good for inspirations for food and recipes and peoples stories. They also have a Facebook page. My whole family have taken to it now although I as the only one on the pre-diabetic scale and between four of us we have lost over 5stone and none of us were actually 'overweight' to start with if you go by BMI (which I don't really). son now had abs to be proud of, hubby is in trousers 2" smaller in the waist, daughter can fit into things she hasn't worn for years and I'm now a size 10 not a 14.
Diet is the most important but I also added exercise in the form of High Intensity interval training as it can be done and dusted in 5 mins a day and then some weight training ( I can do a chin up now which I have never been able to do before in my life). At the beginning I tried to commit to two 20 minute walks a day (after meals if possible as it helps to use up any carbs you have eaten and if they get used up straight away they can't convert to fat stored in the body.)
Enjoy the new lifestyle and the new you that will result!
Thanks seadragon, i'm just about to go out, I have no idea though what kind of salad dressing I can put on my salads - I adore salads whether I'm on a diet or not, though to be honest these days I prefer to think of it as just a different way of living, but I am no saint, I can't have a salad without a dressing, but not a creamy one, I do like the mix of balsamic and olive oil - sainsbury do a delightfully tasty one which has a wee bit of sugar in it, can't recall exactly. I unfortunately, can't exercise because of my leg, hip and back pain, I can't even take my wee Yorkie for a walk and that bothers me - five years ago I walked for miles and was much happier in myself - catch you later have a nice weekend.

seadragon

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You could buy some quality olive oil and some balsamic vinegar and mix your own dressing as required or use the Sainsbury on e but don't have too much.
You could do a little light weights work - you can get sets of free wights for about £15 on the internet. It really helps as building muscle increases insulin sensitivity and ups metabolism. you can do it sitting down but probably should get some expert advice if you have back pain (though i find it helps mine - used to have a lot of back problems).
Have a good weekend!

Dickensfan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You could buy some quality olive oil and some balsamic vinegar and mix your own dressing as required or use the Sainsbury on e but don't have too much.
You could do a little light weights work - you can get sets of free wights for about £15 on the internet. It really helps as building muscle increases insulin sensitivity and ups metabolism. you can do it sitting down but probably should get some expert advice if you have back pain (though i find it helps mine - used to have a lot of back problems).
Have a good weekend!
I must admit that I got a shock with my expense at the checkout at Morrisons it was over £100 for week 1, having said that there will be items which will last more than a week, still, it's not a diet you could do if you didn't have a decent income, I'm lucky as I have a good pension, but I can certainly see why anyone on a low income could not spend that amount on week 1.

I don't like my own dressings, and I always have good quality balsamic and good quality olive oil in my cupboard it's a main stay, as are lemons, but I still have never liked my own dressings, maybe its the sweetning that's missing, I know it's in the Sainsbury's one which I won't have again obviously. You know this is one of the things which saddens me, the way my life has gone in the recent years. I was an avid member of the gym, and used to go every day except once a week as I was told to have a rest day, your body needs to recover. I had surgery and haven't been back to the gym, and feeling as unwell as I have in recent times, it bothers me big time, because you can't shift the weight sitting around all the time, I'm fully aware of that - this is why I said I wish I had my life back.

tim_garnett

Hello Daibell, yes I do know and very aware of what you've said. I think it's very easy for the average person to think that fat causes weight gain alone, but I'm not one of them, but can understand why you said what you did. I will see an NHS dietician (I'm not looking forward to it at all) at my GP surgery on the 27th April, so I'll go along and see what she has to say, and take the good parts out of it.
I eat wholegrain foods, seldom have potatoes, perhaps once a week, and when I have rice it is brown rice, but since I'm not a fan of the brown stuff, be it rice or pasta, it's not high on my desires to eat. I don't and have never been someone who takes drinks other than sparkling water, black coffee and tea with lemon, the only thing I ever add milk to are my breakfast cereals, likewise I don't add sugar to anything - even before my type 2 diagnosis. I have always eaten fresh fruit and veg, I'm big on both, and I have to say there was a time when I thought I may have been eating too much fruit because I went through loads of it in a week, these days I still eat fruit of course, but concentrate more on berries.
As for medication, my practice nurse put me on Metformin which after 4 days I had to come off of, as I lived in the toilet, and was afraid to even think about leaving the house, she then put me on Gliclazide which I was on for 3 weeks and gained weight, I rang the surgery to speak to her and told her I could not take any medication which caused me to put weight on, she informed me that it was one of the side effects - so I came off that (seemed to me it defeated the purpose somewhat) I am now on my fith day of Forxiga dapagliflozin 10mg daily, she told me you can actually lose weight with this one.

I have to say that prior to diagnosis when it was me who asked for a blood test because I hadn't been firing on all cylinders for approx 18 months, and also had skin problems which I've never had in my life, I just knew there was something wrong with me, also the customary drinking and running to the loo both day and night. I also woke in the mornings with a headache before even lifting my head off the pillow - all of these symptoms have now gone, and in fact I'm feeling very well (touches wood here) but I suffer greatly with very cold feet and hands, in fact I'm worried about the foot thing - sorry to drag on so much guys. Have pity on me. My Blood sugar on the first test sent away at the surgery was 20.9 the nurse told me they would diagnose type 2 at between 6 and 6.9, I was astounded at such a high reading as was she, which tells me I've had type 2 for quite a while, probably when I started feeling unwell. My cholesterol is and has always been, even in my 30s and 40s 4.1.
I too had metformin problems,so i went on slow release,problems solved.Had lost weight and was happy.Gliclazide caused no problems,except weight has crept up a bit.Have a cold at the moment,sugars abit higher,is it the illness,i ask?All the best.

Dickensfan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I too had metformin problems,so i went on slow release,problems solved.Had lost weight and was happy.Gliclazide caused no problems,except weight has crept up a bit.Have a cold at the moment,sugars abit higher,is it the illness,i ask?All the best.
Hi Tim, you don't say but I'm assuming like me you are Type 2, and whilst I'm unsure, I think if you have a cold it might affect things.
I need to lose weight so I didn't like it when the Gliclazide caused me to put weight on, thinking 'well that's all I need' my nurse/practitioner did tell me that some people do experience increase in weight on that drug, and not to worry as there are other alternatives, one of which I've been on for the past 2 weeks with no side effects and only take one a day, at the same time every day.

seadragon

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I must admit that I got a shock with my expense at the checkout at Morrisons it was over £100 for week 1, having said that there will be items which will last more than a week, still, it's not a diet you could do if you didn't have a decent income, I'm lucky as I have a good pension, but I can certainly see why anyone on a low income could not spend that amount on week 1.

I don't like my own dressings, and I always have good quality balsamic and good quality olive oil in my cupboard it's a main stay, as are lemons, but I still have never liked my own dressings, maybe its the sweetning that's missing, I know it's in the Sainsbury's one which I won't have again obviously. You know this is one of the things which saddens me, the way my life has gone in the recent years. I was an avid member of the gym, and used to go every day except once a week as I was told to have a rest day, your body needs to recover. I had surgery and haven't been back to the gym, and feeling as unwell as I have in recent times, it bothers me big time, because you can't shift the weight sitting around all the time, I'm fully aware of that - this is why I said I wish I had my life back.

The food is probably a bit more expensive to start with but when you take into account you stop buying snacks and biscuits and sweets and fizzy drinks, expensive ready meals etc I'm not so sure it is that expensive - just looks it on first sight.

Also I was surprised to find how little exercise actually contributes to losing weight. It does seem that diet is the most important factor and when you realise how few calories a gym session or a 3 mile walk burns it's a shock - was to me anyway. Most calories are burned through just existing.

Dickensfan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The food is probably a bit more expensive to start with but when you take into account you stop buying snacks and biscuits and sweets and fizzy drinks, expensive ready meals etc I'm not so sure it is that expensive - just looks it on first sight.

Also I was surprised to find how little exercise actually contributes to losing weight. It does seem that diet is the most important factor and when you realise how few calories a gym session or a 3 mile walk burns it's a shock - was to me anyway. Most calories are burned through just existing.
One of the things I used to do an awful lot was walk, either to the woods, along the tree lined streets where I lived until 5 years ago, or along the shore, I lived right almost on the beach, so it was terrific for walking the dogs, and I miss it so much. I may sell this house as I've never really settled here and move back to what I know best either this year or next - as I still have things to do.
I do know this, however, in the past whenever I put so much as a few pounds on, I felt sore all over, so if I manage to lose weight on this diet (still a mystery to me how eating, full fat) hopefully, I'll have a better quality of life and a more positive outlook.

seadragon

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
One of the things I used to do an awful lot was walk, either to the woods, along the tree lined streets where I lived until 5 years ago, or along the shore, I lived right almost on the beach, so it was terrific for walking the dogs, and I miss it so much. I may sell this house as I've never really settled here and move back to what I know best either this year or next - as I still have things to do.
I do know this, however, in the past whenever I put so much as a few pounds on, I felt sore all over, so if I manage to lose weight on this diet (still a mystery to me how eating, full fat) hopefully, I'll have a better quality of life and a more positive outlook.

Just found this low carb FAQ on Ditch the Carbs website which might help to answer some of your questions about how you can lose weight while eating fat.

http://www.ditchthecarbs.com/low-carb-faq/

Dickensfan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just found this low carb FAQ on Ditch the Carbs website which might help to answer some of your questions about how you can lose weight while eating fat.

http://www.ditchthecarbs.com/low-carb-faq/
thanks seadragon I'll have a look at this site later. I just had my breakfast, I'm assuming that the pdf I downloaded is a guide because most of the stuff on there I could never bring myself to eat i.e. pork red meat, lamb etc etc. I'm strictly a chick and fish person, but I bought the steak mince as it was on that list - but I've put it in the freezer and will use it for others, I can't bring myself to eat it. I think the lchf diet is more for meat eaters, or people who formerly liked fried food - none of which applies to me. I'm going to find this difficult and if i'm being perfectly honest, even to lose weight and for blood glucose reasons, I'm not at the age of 67 about to start eating and cooking in a way that is alien to me. I'll eat all the good stuff - the veg for me is pretty much what I eat now, and it's nice to know I can have cream and butter and eggs, so I'll have to adapt this diet to my tastes and hope that it will still work.
thanks for the website I'll have a wee look at it.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Thank you for all of your replies, and I shall give them my attention, I find some of the info here and elsewhere difficult mainly because I am a vegetarian, indeed, I've eaten no beef, pork etc. since I was five years old, possibly younger, I am now 67 so what I'm trying to do is work out what is best for me, as an individual, from the diabetes point of view.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Have you given up vegetarianism since page one you now say you are eating bacon, sausages, chicken and fish?

Dickensfan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you given up vegetarianism since page one you now say you are eating bacon, sausages, chicken and fish?
Hi no sorry, for the misunderstanding - I haven't been totally vegi for 3 years, I have been vegi but with the inclusion of chicken and fish only, I did not have bacon with my breakfast this morning day 1 I have had eggs mushrooms tomatos, I omitted the bacon. bacon and beef were on that 'shopping list week 1' which although I purchased it, I could not cook it for myself but can cook it for an elderly relative whose meals I take over and put in the freezer for him, on a monthly basis.
When I read the LCHF diet I thought you 'had' to eat all that was on the list - I think now, if I'm correct, I can choose to eat what's on there or not to make it work, I'm delighted about the cream and berries, I have to say. I wanted to buy full fat greek yoghurt yesterday, but all I could see was low fat unless I missed it.

nice to know someone is reading my posts though.

Dickensfan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You'll probably think I'm daft, but I dislike frying, as I don't like the mess it makes on my hob and surrounding area with splatters - frying is something I rarely do. I use oven and slow cooker for most things, and a steamer on hob for veg - always have done.