What % Carb is acceptable, on low carb diets ?

MoroFenrir

When looking at low carb foods, especially snack foods , what % of carbs are acceptable and what would be deemed too high ?

So for example, I picked up some Quorn picnic sausages.
They have no sugar , but have 10g of carb per 100gs , so 10% carb.

Is this acceptable as a snack / treat ? or is it too high ?

Thank You

Reactions: kitedoc

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It all depends on how many you are going to eat. Does the label say how many carbs per sausage? If not, you need to weigh one and calculate how many carbs in the one sausage. Then decide if that fits in with your eating plan.

To be quite honest it is best not to snack at all. Your pancreas needs a rest between meals. If you must snack, then a boiled egg or a piece of cheese would be a good option, or a coffee with cream.

Reactions: HSSS and kitedoc

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
They would be only just within my normal limit of carbs - but I would not chose to eat them as the sausages I usually buy are far lower in carbs and so they are not be a treat but form a regular part of my menu

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Why not use your meter to see how it affects your blood sugar? It might be your body can handle them just fine, it might be you need to eat less of them.

Reactions: Struma

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There are a lot of low carb sausages on the market. The major supermarkets have their own brands and do ones that are very high meat content. Heck sausages are 97% meat I think. 1g carb per sausage. It will pay you to shop around. The higher the meat content the less cereals will be in the sausage.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When looking at low carb foods, especially snack foods , what % of carbs are acceptable and what would be deemed too high ?

So for example, I picked up some Quorn picnic sausages.
They have no sugar , but have 10g of carb per 100gs , so 10% carb.

Is this acceptable as a snack / treat ? or is it too high ?

Thank You
Personally I aim for 5% or lower except for very rare treats like Oppo ice cream that is about 8%. There are a number of proper sausages that have far fewer carbs than Quorn as others have said I'd go for the 97% meat ones.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I know you'd all go for meat sausages, but my other half is more or less vegetarian and doesn't eat most meats....

Ah!! There is a new word to describe this - Flexitarian. :)

Is there are reason for this? Is it because she doesn't like some meats? What about fish?
Low carb is more difficult for someone that doesn't eat meat and fish.

MoroFenrir

Ah!! There is a new word to describe this - Flexitarian. :)

Is there are reason for this? Is it because she doesn't like some meats? What about fish?
Low carb is more difficult for someone that doesn't eat meat and fish.

Just doesn't like it , she was fully vegetarian for about 10 years and is VERY fussy with meat now.

She can eat bacon, and chicken and that's pretty much it.

Fish wise she can't stand oily fish, or seafood like prawns etc.
though can eat cod/haddock and tuna.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just doesn't like it , she was fully vegetarian for about 10 years and is VERY fussy with meat now.

She can eat bacon, and chicken and that's pretty much it.

Fish wise she can't stand oily fish, or seafood like prawns etc.
though can eat cod/haddock and tuna.

Well she can stuff her face with bacon, with eggs, a tomato and loads of mushrooms (fried in butter is best). No toast or baked beans though for now. Chicken cooked any which way (as long as there is no coating on it) is a good choice, with plenty of suitable veggies. Salmon and tuna are also good choices. Tinned ones are easy with a salad. Cod and haddock are also good, providing there is no coating such as batter or breadcrumbs. If there is batter on the fish, it can easily be scraped off with a knife.

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree that you should test to see if these foods spike you, if they do, they are off the menu. Your health needs supersede her fussiness IMHO. Does she understand the consequences on your body of sustained high blood glucose levels and why you need to change your diet? (many nondiabetics don't). Google "diabetic complications" and show her some of the pictures.

Last edited:

glynnk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally I aim for 5% or lower except for very rare treats like Oppo ice cream that is about 8%. There are a number of proper sausages that have far fewer carbs than Quorn as others have said I'd go for the 97% meat ones.

Yes 97% are good or it’s a two minute job to make your own - blitz up a small amount of pork, add your choice spices/seasoning, shape and cook. Good to know what’s in your food.