What cheese?

B17_Fan

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is normal mature Cheddar ok as part of a low carb diet?
Or does it have to be low fat cheese?

Also I like cheese slices but I'm guessing that's a no no because they're so processed.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheese has very little carb, so it is fine for low carbing. Good news, eh?

People then choose to make up their own minds about the fat content, and the level of processing.

It is possible to a low carb low fat diet, but it also ends up low calorie too, and there is probably quite a bit of hunger involved, because fat is one of the things that make us feel satisfied. Some people increase the protein to compensate.

Personally, I go low carb, fairly high with the fat (I never buy low fat anything), and moderate protein.
I used to avoid all processed foods too, but have relaxed that a bit, although I definitely avoid those processed cheese things. Suppose I generally avoid processed where possible, and totally avoid heavily processed.
:)

Reactions: Kristin251

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheese slices are normally covered in potato starch to stop them sticking together, same with shredded mozzarella.

B

badcat

Cheese slices are normally covered in potato starch to stop them sticking together, same with shredded mozzarella.
Depends what you mean by cheese slices
Im sure the floppy orange stuff is full of all sorts of nasties. Slices of normal cheese are also available without any added extras
These have a divider between slices to stop the sticking and feature very regularly in my Ocado shopping order!
http://www.waitrose.com/shop/DisplayProductFlyout?productId=53704

Reactions: Prem51

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I buy food quality success cheese which looks additive free on ingredients. Guess it's about checking labels carefully as they put all sorts of **** in some products sadly. I love cheese but am a bit wary of the salt intake because of BP problems.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Depends what you mean by cheese slices
Im sure the floppy orange stuff is full of all sorts of nasties. Slices of normal cheese are also available without any added extras
These have a divider between slices to stop the sticking and feature very regularly in my Ocado shopping order!
http://www.waitrose.com/shop/DisplayProductFlyout?productId=53704
Funny funny. Floppy orange things!! I remember they tasted great but not on my shopping list for years and years. Even the queso cheese on eggs!! Those were the days

I hadn't eaten cheese in eons but added a little back in lately. One oz with wine. Brie or Colby jack with spicy seasoning. And Uusto with a small piece of butter melted and a toasted pecan or smoked cheese. Havarti is great too. I buy organic cheese when possible. I keep most in the freezer so I have options every night with my wine. The rest of my diet is mostly unprocessed. I love all cheese but some sit better with me than others.

Last edited:

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Cheese has next to no carbs. BUT beware the soft low fat types as these are higher in carbs.
Cheese spread, reduced fat - 7.9g carbs/100g
Cheese slices, processed, reduced fat - 9.7g
Cheese, spreadable, soft white, low fat - 5.0g

(source - CoFID)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What cheese? All cheese! White, yellow blue, green, red, sharp, mild, mature, fresh, hard, soft, cow, goat sheep or whatever, grated, sliced, melted, on tomato, eggs, meats, toast, cucumber, with marmite, peanut-butter, chilli, avocado, in vegetable stews, soups, on everything you put in the oven and secretly at night next to the fridge! Just found out you can even zap thin slices of cheese in the microwave to make something tasteful resembling chips!

D

Deleted member 308541

Just found out you can even zap thin slices of cheese in the microwave to make something tasteful resembling chips!
There's a thread about that somewhere.

Here's the pix I posted in it, nuked for about four minutes in the microwave.

TriyJlJ.jpg

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Also I like cheese slices but I'm guessing that's a no no because they're so processed.
Nearly all cheese and yes even cheese slices are fine just check the carb content on the back of the pack and see. I eat a lot of cheese and slices are great for quick snacks.

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
All cheese, and never low fat.. that's just sacrilegious! No one really enjoys the taste of low fat cheese, they just endure it. It's a bit like non-alcohol wine! Not a patch on the real stuff, and generally a poor substitute.

Hotpepper20000

All cheese, and never low fat.. that's just sacrilegious! No one really enjoys the taste of low fat cheese, they just endure it. It's a bit like non-alcohol wine! Not a patch on the real stuff, and generally a poor substitute.
As far as I'm concerned the higher the fat % the better. I eat less but enjoy it more.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I knew you would find a way to bring avocado into a thread about cheese!! :)
Lmao!!!! But seriously. Sounds great.

And I did actually do that as a running joke!!

I'm not much into complicating cooking anymore so I'd just leave them flat and top them maybe with pizza toppings or anything really. They do sound like a great low carb firm bottom to top with

Reactions: Antje77 and Prem51

Kbarbaracollins_

Type of diabetes
Type 1

When I did my 3days with Dr Bernstein he showed me how to microwave cheese slices to turn them into a substitute for crackers.
Just put one on a piece of grease proof paper and then microwave on max for 1 minute.
The whole thing will puff up. Once it's cooled just peel the paper off and then top with whatever you fancy.

Hotpepper20000

When I did my 3days with Dr Bernstein he showed me how to microwave cheese slices to turn them into a substitute for crackers.
Just put one on a piece of grease proof paper and then microwave on max for 1 minute.
The whole thing will puff up. Once it's cooled just peel the paper off and then top with whatever you fancy.
Thanks for the breakfast idea.