What did our parents do in the war?

Janiept

Expert
Interesting thread.

My father was born in 1926 and, although he joined the navy in 1944, I don't believe that he really saw true active service, as peace had more or less broken out by the time he finished training. As a teenager, he was in Bristol for a time, including several periods during the Blitz when the Docks got a pounding, which was, erm, interesting, I think. In the navy, he saw service in MTBs, as part of the Coastal Forces, and then went to the Far East and Australia in HMS Trafalgar, a destroyer, to help with the sorting out of surrendering Japanese ships and the like. He also visited Nagasaki and talks of picking up bits of rock to examine them - though luckily he didn't bring any of them back home :)

My maternal grandfather was a career soldier and did some interesting things that we only found out about after he died, because of the Official Secrets Act. He was in the Signals Regiment and saw service in the trenches during WW1. Later on, after spending time with the British Army of Occupation in Palestine between the Wars, he ended up peripherally involved (we think) in the development of radar in the 1930's. What we do know for sure is that he spent most of WW2 at Bletchley Park and ended up as Head of the Japan Section - I found his details on the Bletchley Park website - but he never spoke of it whilst he was alive, and died in the 1960's before the 30 year period under the OS Act had expired. After the War, he continued working in Military Intelligence until he retired with the rank of Lieutenant Colonel. His brother in law, who also worked at Bletchley Park, told us a little about all this before he died in the late 1970's but I would love to have been able to ask my grandfather about some of the things that he did. Not that he'd have told me anything, of course, he was a very proper, "old school" type and I was only a child when he died.
Another fascinating story! We hear so often that they never spoke of what they experienced during the war, quite understandably I think, but it would be fascinating to know their stories wouldn't it.

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The not talking about what they did and went through is a common theme, mostly because of the horrors of reliving the war. Mostly, not because it was secret but how do you tell your loved that you probably killed another human, who is someone's son, brother, father etc?
Most would say it is the shame of having to do that! A perfect human reaction. Understandable I would say.
I have never been to war but I have friends who have and I talked to a lot of veterans, in all of the services including the merchant marine. With my locale and my upbringing it would be difficult not to!
As I have researched and studied the Second World War in particular, the lucky few who made it through, why would they want to relive it!
I have nightmares about the years of constant and boring job I did until I semi retired!
Fancy living with that on your concious and you had to be really fortunate to see a psychiatrist. No wonder they turned recluse!

Janiept

Expert
I recently watched a true film called The Railway Man about a soldier who was made to build the Bridge on the River Kwai which completely (understandably) unhinged him. He couldn't talk about it either but miraculously after many years of suffering with his memories went back and found one of the guards who had tortured him. Somehow he was able to forgive him and they remained friends to the end of their lives.
A wonderful story, but I doubt many would have been able to forgive. Too painful.

Reactions: 5 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Despite fighting the Japenese my dad always had a Mitsubishi car. Especially when his ford pop died over the pennines and left us stranded.

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Despite fighting the Japenese my dad always had a Mitsubishi car. Especially when his ford pop died over the pennines and left us stranded.

Many years ago, my ex father-in-law was staying in a hotel in Blackpool with a group of his mates that were attending a Japanese POW re-union. I took my toddler daughter (his granddaughter) to see him at the hotel and parked my Nissan on the front forecourt in full view of the lounge they were sitting in. It never occurred to me, but my goodness I got in bother about it! I was very embarrassed, but they forgave me!

Reactions: 4 people

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, diabetes!
Great thread @nosher8355, I'm obviously much younger than all of you old guys, my grandad was in the RAF in WWII and was something to do with communications, he would never talk about it but he apparently helped to develop radio comms in the planes.

Reactions: 4 people

Shecat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Animal harmers, Smoking, Ignorance, Rudeness
My Father never spoke about the War. I would have been fascinated if he had.