What diet does everyone follow

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Another one in the keto camp. 20 or less carbs. MODERATE protein and moderate healthy fats even though they make up 75-80% of my diet percentage wise. A whole avocado, some olive oil or mayo, an ounce or so of nuts and an ounce or so of cheese. I don’t eat a lot of animal fat. My bg prefers plant fats.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I'm another person who does a variety of things. In the last few months I've tried

- Zero Carbing - which wasn't for me (missed the veg),
- the Newcastle Diet for 10 weeks (lost 21 lbs and can tolerate more carbs than I used to - will re-visit this)
- intermittant fasting - okay but my body got used to it
- one meal a day - okay but my body got used to it
- low carb - which is my go-to way of eating - I follow a low carb way of eating while doing everything else.

If you want to lose weight then definitely do some research on the Newcastle Diet.

My next experiment will be with a two week on / two week off approach (as recommended recently in a blog entry by Jason Fung). The two weeks off will be just low carb but the two weeks on will be low carb plus calorie restriction. Apparently it stops your body adjusting to whatever diet you are using at the time.

We'll see! :meh:

Reactions: TIANDB

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I say 'just low carb' - because after the last 27-28 months on low carb I'm so used to it that its automatic now. (And I love the food!)

Polgara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lowish carb (no pasta or rice, bread rarely) and lowish fat ( though not too concerned about limiting fats from vegetable oil or nuts) - lots of veg and some fruit. Lean meat and fish.

Jazzman75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Could a type 1 diabetic stick to a diet of just protein and some fat with not much carbs and still put on weight

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
30-80g of crabs!!I must try that!! :)

I just did - in fact 150g to be exact

crab.jpg

very tasty it was too !

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m type 1 and ultra low carb, moderate protein and healthy fats and I maintain my weight. If I wanted to gain weight I’d eat a bit more protein and more cheese and nuts.

However in the ABSENSE of carbs I have to bolus for 1/2 my protein as if it were carbs. I gluconeogenisis like a rock star. If I don’t have enough fat in the meal I will spike like carbs. A big wedge of avocado slows everything down and keeps me low and slow.

All that said I had reduce my insulin doses quite a bit and now I take 1/2 unit and eat 4 times a day. Every 2.5-3 hours. This keeps me very steady since I take such small doses I run out of insulin around 3 hours so I need to take that to stop a rise so I just eat a small low carb meal with protein avocado and some raw veggies. My stomach hates carbs and big meals so this too works well

If you’re not low carb now be very careful adjusting insulin.

Last edited:

Jazzman75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So it's takeaway tonight and It's pizza and wings with garlic bread might have 1 or 2 slices of pizza I'm going to try and keep my carbs low & eat mainly protein, & veg eat nuts instead of crisps i will try it & see i want to live a healthy lifestyle

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
For the last few weeks I have been eating 1 meal a day around 1000 to 1200 calories, less than 20 gram carb and gluten free. Normally I eat keto and gluten free.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was first diagnosed I ate to my meter.

If the number was too big, I either ate a bit less or left some of the carby things off next time.

That way I learned what affected my personal blood sugars. I've always been a eat things others haven't , but then my personal rocket fuel foods wre fine for others.

If you don't have a meter, I'd suggest you consider acquiring one, for that personal feedback, on a meal by meal basis.

Good luck with it all.

Jazzman75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am going to eat less carbs and more protein and veg with a little bit of fat

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Too many crabs. The maximum I eat is 80g;)
very hard to stop when you are shelling it yourself - my actual portion was planned to be 100. but I kinda added a bit on for the nibbles ! - it is the only protein I had today though so not that bad