1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What do centenarians around the world eat?

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Cocosilk, Jul 27, 2020.

1. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

If you type
    "blue zone debunked" into google you'll find plenty of articles.

Don't you find it odd that apart from Loma Linda all the places listed are either islands or next to the sea yet so far as I can see fish isn't mentioned at all... Or that the first import to Okinawa post the second world war was pigs?

I'll let you do some research.

Have you watched the video yet?

2. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

Organized by Hawaiians who's families had emigrated from Okinawa in the past in the hope that the pigs would breed and become a reliable future food source.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. bulkbiker

As they had been pre-war?

4. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Expert

A sensible hope, I should think. I have read elsewhere that pigs have traditionally been kept by families as a reliable food source, in other places as in Hawaii. As well as for other products, e.g., pigskin.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Expert

Some fascinating articles about this online, @JohnEGreen . I had no idea that pork had been a staple in Okinawa and that the people there have a long tradition of farming. From 500 pigs to 100,000 in four years! :)

One of my oldest friends has lived in Hawaii for more than 20 years now. I think I know what one topic in my next letter to her will be! :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

Why ask me I thought you knew every thing your post was about after the war yes they did eat meat including pork pre war the average consumption of pork in Okinawais is now about 3 grams a day the quantity of pork consumption per person a year in Okinawa in 1979 was about 8 kg.

Most of their live stock perished in the three month long battle as did over a hundred thousand Okinawan civilians most of them young people leaving the remaining population with a preponderance of elderly people and giving the impression of unusual longevity for the whole population at that time.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  7. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

In my family history and social history studies over the last 20 odd years has taught me that in England almost every household kept at least one pig. My ex father-in-law's home in South Wales, an old small terraced house, had a pig sty at the bottom of his garden. Thankfully no longer used in the days I used to visit. In East Lancashire near the Yorkshire border people made a lot of money growing and selling turnips for pig fodder. I have a copy of an accounts book kept by a shop keeper. On one day in 1804 she sold "half a load of turnips" to a man for 3 shillings, 1 stone of turnips to a lady for 6d. and another stone to a man for 6d. All for the pigs. She also sold 4 and a half stones of apples, which I also assume was mostly for the pigs. We have just returned from a cottage holiday in Warwickshire. The terraced cottage was built around 1880 in a row of about 20 others. Behind the back gardens were stone built outhouses now used as storage, but they have troughs round the walls. A neighbour informed us they were piggeries. Bacon was part of their every day staple diet.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

I'd agree with @Bluetit1802 -my understanding is that pig were regularly kept as a food resouce
    That's my biggest fear, having seen both my mum and my 100+ year old MIL "away with the fairies" for the last 10 or so years of their lives.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
    #48 Robbity, Aug 14, 2020 at 2:03 PM
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
  9. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Expert

Very interesting. Thank you for posting this. I'd read about families keeping pigs, but only brief mentions in some historical novels and nonfiction histories so I'm glad to hear from you since you've done so much research into family life.

@Mr_Pot and @Robbity I feel the same way about old age. If I can't be me I don't want to be here at all.

10. Tannith

Tannith · Well-Known Member

So are you suggesting that ALL the centenarians in ALL the diverse Blue Zones are lying about their food intake? Why would they bother?

• Like Like x 1
  11. bulkbiker

Not in the slightest I'm saying the guy who wrote the Blue Zones book had an agenda. Plus the details of many of the blue zone centenarians maybe have been a bit flaky to due to them being very old and their records incomplete.

I guessing you still haven't watched the video or read anything..

Maybe that makes me a "Blue Zone" denier too? That one may well be true.

12. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I don’t know what centenarians ate around the world, long-telemere spaghetti seems likely, but one thing that many Europeans mention is a daily tipple.
    On the pigs info, they’re a good thing for a household, they’re omnivores, eat up scraps and just about the whole pig can become food for carnivores. Just don’t let the baby fall into the pig stye.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. bulkbiker

I think that whatever centenarians around the world eat we can be pretty sure it isn't a diet of factory made, meal replacement shakes with only 800 cals...

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. Tannith

Tannith · Well-Known Member

We can be pretty sure it isn't neat grease either.

15. bulkbiker

Lots of pork though...still not watched the video eh?

16. Cocosilk

Cocosilk Gestational · Well-Known Member

It's probably just as much to do with something else as it is with diet. My husband's nona is 98 years old and he thinks she's still alive in spite of whatever she has eaten all her life. So there's that too. Some people are just survivors I guess.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

I agree. Environment and genes play a major role in longevity.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

And not having accidents or catching diseases, my grandfather was a healthy 75 when he was hit by a car and killed, the perfect diet wouldn't have helped.

• Hug Hug x 3
  19. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Expert

Maybe that is part of "environment."
    Cars, rusty nails, rabies, snakebite, bad water in the well or stream ...
    My grandfather's youngest brother died in his 20s when he fell off the roof of a house he was working on. He was young and healthy enough to be up on the roof, working ...

A person can eat healthful food, take all their meds faithfully, get regular checkups, and then one day out walking for exercise and to enjoy the countryside they could be bitten by a copperhead and die before the paramedics arrived with antivenom.

20. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

At least that's one thing I don't have to worry about.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook